DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warranty Replacement, Round 1!

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Warranty Replacement, Round 1!

Alright, so, I have one of the D1's with the bumpy keyboard version. Apparently, it's fairly rare, given what I've seen out and about. Nonetheless, one of the keys is damaged and about to fall off, despite insanely attentive care to my device. It's never been dropped, mashed on, beat on, thrown, etc.

Anyways, I was very scared of the concept of giving up the phone I had, I get fairly attached to my electronics, and my Droid has really taken it's place as my top-used device. So I figured, I'd learn to type on the software keyboard, and just hold out, because I know I'm buying an LTE/Android 3.0/Dual 1GHz Core phone when Motorola releases one next year.

But... I did read that thread about people sometimes getting Droid 2s instead of Droid 1s. And there was some things about Froyo that was really lagging, and I figured another phone might handle it better than mine, even if it was another Droid 1. So I decided to take the risk and order a warranty replacement. Today, it arrived.

Round 1 - Droid 1, Flat Keyboard Variant - Camera Lens Installed Improperly

I really was about to switch over to this one when I noticed the camera lens is at an odd angle out of the device, and provides a nasty lip there because it's installed wrong. I have no doubt a good jolt would pop the lens right out of the phone. So I'll be going back to Verizon likely later this week. I'm not sure if I have to do anything special if I'm returning the replacement model instead of my original, because I noticed on the receipt that they are tracking the IDs of the phones being replaced/shipped. And since I'm going to try another warranty replacement anyhow, I got to go to the Verizon store anyways.

I've read a lot of horror stories on this forum about the Certified Like-New D1s, so I figure this may turn out to be interesting, figured I'd document it here.

3. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    My first warranty replacement of my Droid ended up being a completely brand new one right out of the Motorola packaging. Then when I went rounds with VZW about my daughter's crappy Devour, they finally sent me a like-new Droid1 as the replacement, and it's worked fantastically for a few months now.

I'll be getting my second Droid replacement tomorrow and I already got an email about it being a like-new replacement, so I'll also add how that turns out in this thread as well...
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Dinc & Droid

droid replacement

My wife just got her like new replacement in the mail. No luck getting a d2
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Yes, you read horror stories because the majority of people who don't have issues don't write in to say their factory replacement works fine.

Please if it's a general issue do return it but don't try and find little tiny excuses in hopes of getting a D2. I really dislike it when people do that.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Dinc & Droid
    yeah i havn't tested the replacement because she's at work and i don't want to mess with it until she gets home. she was having issues with the screen freezing and the phone would vibrate constantly in the middle of the night for no reason, right off the desk! i'm pretty sure this new phone won't do that since its not a fairly common problem. i also called in for a replacement of my D1 today for my work phone since i get complaints of people telling me that my speaker phone has a lot of static since i'm always on speaker at work. really hoping i do get a D1 since i just started using pete's latest rom.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid
    My screen kept shutting off on its own( i am on my second droid) i called and told them what was going on and they shipped me out a new Droid X, was kinda diappointed because i am really use to being able to totally customise my Droid !, so i am on the flip side. You are trying to get a droid 2, and i am trying to get back a droid 1.
    Droid1
    W/LFY 1.71 ROM slayer 1.275 kernel
    Watermarked Theme
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid 1

Warranty replacement, round 4

Warranty replacement, round 4

The mike went out about two weeks ago,so I took it to the local Verizon Store. A tech confirmed it was not working and said he would send out a replacement via Fedex. I could continue to use my original with blue tooth head set. The replacement(certified new) arrived 2 days later as scheduled, I migrated to it but after a few hours, realized the sliding screen/keyboard was a lot looser than my original phone, which is 10 months old, also it did not open smoothly or as solidly as my original. It also rattled when you touched the screen and turned on in my pocket. I kept my original as a benchmark and returned replacement #1.

Rec'd replacement #2(cert new), It again had a bogus slider, it was loose and would twist if you tried to open it with one finger etc... I returned #2.

Rec'd #3 (cert new) today, again compared to my original the slider does not open smoothly, again twists and binds if you use one figure and is real stiff. I just got off the phone with Verizon and they are sending a 4th.

I asked about opinions and the rep was indifferent, telling me all they can do is send another replacement. I asked about a different model, say a used certified new droid x,there would be no key board issues. Rep said no, "we will send a new replacement or you can buy a new phone when you year upgrade come up in December." He didn't seem to care that my phone, without blue tooth can not be used as a phone. I will receive the 4th replacement Monday so hopefully I will be satisfied. I will post then.

anyone have any advise? Should I go back to the physical store if #4 is bogus? I'm starting to think I my original droid is an excellent build, an exception, so my problem is relative?
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I would take #4 to a corporate store if it comes with problems. Speak with a manager and refuse to leave until you have been satisfied. Usually, a big enough commotion will get you a working phone that you will be satisfied with.

You pay too much over two years to not be completely satisfied.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid 1
    good point. I forget about the amount I paid for this thing and that I'm locked in for 2 years and to migrate to a new phone I would have to buy the broken phone or a sub-par replacement for $350.00+.

Hopefully Monday's replacement will be fine and I can go on with my life. I will post then.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Do everyone that works in VZW a favor and stop taking your "defective" phones into the store. The people that work there are not techs and aren't paid to be technicians. Its bad for you as a customer because you have to wait in the store for someone who is just going to hard reset your phone anyways. Learn how to troubleshoot yourself and if you truly are have a device with a defect then call customer service and they will ship one to you. Its not like you have to get your phonebook transfered.. It does it automatically.. Its not like you need to get them to activate it, it comes with easy instructions.

I recently got my droid replaced due to a legitimate hardware issue (the headset port broke, not poor me its running slow or anything like that) and my replacement was physically perfect however for some reason no matter how many times I factory reset and put the device into safe mode it force closed. Im an advanced android user so I know when things aren't working. I called tech support, they sent me a replacement overnight shipping with no hassle and now I have a perfect working droid again.

Everyone that complains about getting a refurb think about this. VZW doesnt warranty phones or repair them, they just give you a replacement as a courtesy for being on their service. If you don't want a refurb send the phone back to Motorola who will repair it.. and guess what.. after they repair it your phone is now refurbished. Think of any other electronic and their replacement policy (the same thing). Think about care warranties (the same thing). I love the fact that I don't have to deal with loaner phones or have to wait in lines to see a tech or anything.

My point is if you think your phones not working properly do a hard reset. If its still not working properly CALL VZW tech support and have them overnight a refurb. You'll be up and running quickly and never have to go out of your way or wait to be called for a sales rep to do a hard reset and/or activate your new phone for you.
    Last edited by pnhst; 10-15-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links