DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: My first required Battery Pull...

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

My first required Battery Pull...

Well, I've had the Droid for over a month now, and I've never been required to pull the battery to reset it. Until yesterday...

I was responding to a text with the physical keyboard. I pressed Send, rotated the phone, and snapped the slider shut all in one quick motion. I'm guessing this was too much for it somehow, and the display locked up... When I pressed (for example) the Home key, the haptic-feedback would vibrate, but the screen wouldn't change. Same with the other touch-keys, and the power-key. I could feel the haptic-feedback, but the display on the screen was that "stuck-halfway-between-the-texting-app-and-the-homescreen" weirdness that it was displaying.

So I had to pull the battery to reset it...

Maybe I'll never have this problem again, and it was a one-time fluke. Or maybe the update fixed it. (This did occur yesterday, before I got the v2.0.1 update.)

And that's the only time I've had to physically reset the phone like that, in the entire month-and-five-days that I've owned it. So I'm not complaining -- just posting this for informational purposes, really.

3. Johnly
    Wow, bummer. Couldn't you just as well have done a power cycle? I hear battery pulls on the droid should NEVER be done without them powered off first. Just what I hear, nothing more than that, behind what I have said.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    Wow, bummer. Couldn't you just as well have done a power cycle? I hear battery pulls on the droid should NEVER be done without them powered off first. Just what I hear, nothing more than that, behind what I have said.
    Completely untrue. A battery pull while powered on is sometimes the best fix for common problems. It will not hurt your droid in any way.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I tried the power-cycle. Held down the power button, but when it should've given me the option on the screen to Power Off, the screen simply didn't display it. It was like the screen itself was locked up somehow...

But the battery pull worked just fine... Gave it about 10 seconds, popped the battery back in, pressed the power button, and it was up-and-running in no time.
    Laurence MacNeill
    Mableton, Georgia, USA
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    the same thing happened to my 1st droid i got one the week it came out and after a few days it would just go to a black screen and no matter what i did with the unlock buttons or anything it would not go out of the black screen but my status light just blinked and i had to pull the battery to get it working again. So i took it into verizon wireless and no questions were really asked when i told them what had happened and they gave me a new droid out of the box and it has been smooth sailing ever since.

Links