DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XM on Droid??

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

XM on Droid??

I have XM in my car. The have a free online listening interface included with the subscription. I'm listening to it now as I type this at the office. It just streams XM via my Windows media player. Very nice.

So, the question is, has anyone figured out a way to stream XM on the droid? There must be a way since it's just a web based radio, effectively.

I haven't played with Pandora much but my son has used it for years and loves it. I just have a few XM channels I really like and would love to have them on my phone.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    it's been covered a few times (there are multiple threads on multiple forums). streaming to droid from xm/sirius is not possible right now because there is no windows media player support (.asf).

we are all waiting for flash 10.1 to come out to see if we can get the stream via the website.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stdroid View Post
    I have XM in my car. The have a free online listening interface included with the subscription. I'm listening to it now as I type this at the office. It just streams XM via my Windows media player. Very nice.

So, the question is, has anyone figured out a way to stream XM on the droid? There must be a way since it's just a web based radio, effectively.

I haven't played with Pandora much but my son has used it for years and loves it. I just have a few XM channels I really like and would love to have them on my phone.
    Just an FYI XM on line is not included with the subscription, it comes with an additional cost. They ended the free webcast sometime back.

You may want to take a closer look at your bill.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

Just an FYI XM on line is not included with the subscription, it comes with an additional cost. They ended the free webcast sometime back.

You may want to take a closer look at your bill.
    The have a free online listening interface included with the subscription.
    OP is already listening online.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I check the marketplace every few days for xm as well as Kinoma Play. Both that I miss from my Omnia. I've checked. No extra cost for online usage on my bill. I've been with xm since their first year. I need it on my Droid very bad. I have sent personal emails to both services to recommend Android development. (no response from xm. Kinoma said that they don't release any info on upcoming versions) It was a long time since I had steamed anything from Pandora and was forced to use that instead. I was VERY surprised how it has improved. It is a very good stand-in while waiting for xm.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Thanks all.

I renewed my XM sub about a week ago and was informed there is now a $2.99 per month charge for the online service. I've been listening to XM all day in my office for years. It may have something to do with my continuously negotiating low rates. I have paid the initial promotional rate since August of '06. It was included for 3 months on my vehicle and then $77 annual fee. That's all I've paid annually since '06.

I guess I'll need to check out Pandora. My son loves it. Also, you can get a free 7 day trial of XM online (better sound and full access to channels as compared to the free service I had) for each email address you have. I have at least 10 so, I've got some time before I need to worry about it.

Definitely not worth $2.99 a month if I can't listen on my droid. When you try to download flash player 2.1, it has a message stating it will be available for android phones around mid 2010.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Ooohps, the flash player version needed for XM on droid is 10.1.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Thanks all.

I renewed my XM sub about a week ago and was informed there is now a $2.99 per month charge for the online service. I've been listening to XM all day in my office for years. It may have something to do with my continuously negotiating low rates. I have paid the initial promotional rate since August of '06. It was included for 3 months on my vehicle and then $77 annual fee. That's all I've paid annually since '06.

I guess I'll need to check out Pandora. My son loves it. Also, you can get a free 7 day trial of XM online (better sound and full access to channels as compared to the free service I had) for each email address you have. I have at least 10 so, I've got some time before I need to worry about it.

Definitely not worth $2.99 a month if I can't listen on my droid. When you try to download flash player 2.1, it has a message stating it will be available for android phones around mid 2010.
    I've been with Sirius since they started, so I understand how you feel, they have no money so I dunno when they'll actually develop an app on the Droid.

I find Droidlive's quality is better than Pandora and you can also get a few Sirius/XM stations streamed in Shoutcast through it.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Something else you might want to check out is Slacker. They actually have stations that mimic those found on Sirius/XM. You can also edit them if you want.

Just an FYI.
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    I've had XM for 4+ years and just ditched because of the Pandora App. IMO Pandora>XM, you can skip songs you don't like, create your own stations and the music variety is 100x better. The $15/month I am saving on XM covers my more expensive data plan upgrade with this phone! (had the Vpack)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links