DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Life Issues With Froyo 2.2 Manual Update

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Thanks for the info Chiefvelo. I'm going to look into it. I thought Android OS was too high. I didn't add any Apps last night after updating, but one or more could be borked up after the update.

I'll look into it and let you know.
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Can I throw this out there? Perhaps your battery use is because of the fact that you are constantly using it because it has a new OS?

In every update I've ever seen, it doesn't matter what phone one of the first negatives to come out is about the battery.

As far as it being warm, they can get warm from time to time these phones can get quite hot. I've seen my battery temp up as high as 118 degrees.

Just checked the temperature on my rooted 2.2 phone and the cpu is running at at a very comfortable 82 degrees. I haven't been playing with my Droid all morning.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Hookbill, I wouldn't have posted if that were the case. For the most part, I'm not an idiot.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    There's a handful of people on AndroidForums with the same issues
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Exact same problem. Battery seemed to run down faster than normal. Not too concerned about that. Main concern is the heat. Same location as others have posted. Right next to the camera. I am pretty sure that has never happened with the 2.1 update.

My thoughts were I have linked to my work exchange server now (works pretty good by the way). That is the main hog of the battery usage when I look into it. Working on adjusting the update cycles (push vs. every 15 minutes).

The odd thing is, the heat is not always there. Seems to be inconsistant in both the phone not being used and being used.

A little concerned that I may have been too eager to get 2.2 with a "official" (probably not) manual update.

Can an update change the processor speed higher causing more heat?
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motrola Droid
    alright well so far after letting the phone charge all night, battery "seems" ok. idk after three hours it is down to 80% but havent touched it sincee i took it out of charger.

phone idle- 20%
    display - 19%
    cell standby - 16%
    Android system - 13%
    voice calls - 7%
    com.android.launcher - 4%
    market 4%
    android OS 4%

and ive noticed that everytime i manually kill an app, i kill 8-10 at a time. back at 2.1 i averaged only 4 apps killed.

are these numbers staggeringly high or am i just being paranoid?
    i too feel that i was too eager to get 2.2 that i think i shouldve waited for the OTA, but this wouldnt void warranty right? manually updating that is
    Last edited by PinoyDroid; 08-04-2010 at 09:10 AM.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motrola Droid
    bump for any suggestions/input??
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OGDroid/Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Can I throw this out there? Perhaps your battery use is because of the fact that you are constantly using it because it has a new OS?

In every update I've ever seen, it doesn't matter what phone one of the first negatives to come out is about the battery.

As far as it being warm, they can get warm from time to time these phones can get quite hot. I've seen my battery temp up as high as 118 degrees.

Just checked the temperature on my rooted 2.2 phone and the cpu is running at at a very comfortable 82 degrees. I haven't been playing with my Droid all morning.
    this is why mine was hott yesterday..i was just messing around with it all afternoon after i got the 2.2 just to see what's new and the hidden stuff as well..it got hot thru downloading apps, testing Flash, doing the quadrant score, etc. now that im practically done messing around with it. the droid just sits on my desk and it's been pretty coool.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    After updating yesterday my battery seemed to die very quickly. I plugged it in and after charging all night, it was only back up to 60% and the back was very hot. I turned the data connection off completely and kept it charging for less than an hour and it had jumped to 80% and was cool again. After playing with it more I noticed the data icon showed it was almost constantly transmitting and receiving something. I have since narrowed it down to Exchange push email. If I turn push off on my account it seems to go back to normal. I have factory reset and this does not take care of the problem. There is a page about this on code.google.com where they seem to have resolved it. I checked my email log and it shows the exact same thing as the example on the page where the phone is pinging the server every second or multiple times a second.

Issue 9718 - android - Email app polling Exchange more than once a second - Project Hosting on Google Code

Might want to check if you have Exchange mailboxes and see if this is your problem as well.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motrola Droid
    hm alright, well as far as my question about warranty? manually updating to 2.2 should void it right?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links