Got mine working!
Well after futzing with freakin' Exchange Activesync and my new Droid for the last few days, I got everything working including syncing my calendar. Here is what I did -- hope this helps.
First of all, since I am an individual who has my own Exchange Server (2003) running at home, I was able to tweak to my heart's content. I made sure the boxes that force password policies (i.e. requiring a PIN) were unchecked.
This site was enormously helpful: https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/
I ran the tests to see what my Exchange Server was doing. Turns out that the exchange-oma setting must be set up without SSL/certificates or forms-based authentication. I had to set up another "Exchange Virtual Server" to do this. Once I did, and restarted IIS, everything starting flying into my phone!
These other links may be invaluable to you:
Exchange ActiveSync returned an HTTP 500 Error
Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access errors occur when SSL or forms-based authentication is required for Exchange Server 2003
IT-EYE | FAQ
Now that Exchange Activesync is working, I feel like I have a real Droid phone. I went from almost returning it tomorrow to being elated.
Don't give up - you can do it!!!
My problem is I need to import my certs manually (At least I did with my windows CE devices). They are pkb and p7b files and in my research so far they need to be p12 certs. Anyone have any idea how to import them? I did google it and found someone on a PDA renamed the file to p12 and that worked. But it did not work for me. The password would never get accepted.
I'm in control of my own exchange server so I can do some tests on Monday. But I havn't figured it out yet.
Well after fiddling around with it I guess it does work. All I need to do was drop the domain name from the username I used \jdoe instead of MYDOMAIN\jdoe
I check the ssl and accept certificates and it started pulling with no issues.
Oh believe me..I did (multiple times). :) Still having the issue on my end (tried everything listed thus far). Is anyone that DID get it working actually using the PIN functionality? I still suspect that may be the problem for some of us.
Originally Posted by R1Lover
Just some addtional information for anyone that looks at this. Android 2.0 does not support the PIN functionality.
Issue documented through Motorola (INCLUDING a work arround): https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/61301
Issue at Google (star this issue if you want to vote for it and be notified if it's corrected/included): Issue 4475 - android - Support for ActiveSync provisioning protocol - Project Hosting on Google Code
Supposedly $10 download of Touchdown (available in the marketplace as well) fixes the issue. Downloading a trial of it now myself.
Hope this helps,
Exchange 2003 on DROID
I am also an exchange admin for my company. I was able to successfully set up my phone to sync with my work email, contacts and calendar.
I had to use the address that my company uses for OWA (outlook web access)
without using the HTTPS or HTTP in front of it and it worked like a charm. I also check both of the SSL boxes. :motdroidhoriz:
Hope this helps, I am willing to help if anyone has questions.
jcochran - does your company enforce the PIN security?
As a followup. I installed touchdown (via the previous link) and everything hooked up/downloaded like a charm.
Same problems and symptoms here. I work for a very large corporation that enforces the PIN stuff. Using the OWA information and my domain credentials (which works on my iPhone 3G) I CANNOT sync my mail on the Droid -- I get the black screen nonsense. Unfortunately I do not have any control whatsoever over the Exchange config since I'm not in that IT department. ;-)
FWIW this was posted in another thread.
Security policies are the norm, I'd say, in large corporate security-conscious environments. My employer is particularly anal about it. Ugg. This could be a deal-breaker for me. :(
I set mine up on Friday and it was showing email and everything was gelling. Saturday & Sunday I got the infamous black screen but thought nothing of it. I saw this thread today and it got me curious.. so I went hunting into the settings - first thing that caught my attention was settings - accounts & sync - sellect your exchange account - Account settings - amount to sync - by default this is 1 day, so i'm guessing you guys aren't getting any corporate emails on the weekend like me.. by adjusting it to 3 days or one week tada, theres my email again. I set it back to sync 1 day.. and all the email vanishes again and back to a black screen. D: