DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that you have the Moto Droid, Your opinion on the Keyboard?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I'm fine with the top row and shallow keys. I like the Dpad since I can use it to navigate when I don't want to use the screen, BUT it makes it so that I need to angle my right hand a bit awkwardly for fast typing. I am getting used to it though.
  2. rod
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Nexus
    if your one major drawback to the droid is the keyboard, i suggest none of yall go into a tmobile store and get your hands on a blur, or cliq, or whatever they call it. earlier this month, i went into a vz store to get my hands on a droid- my main fear being the keyboard. the manager told me to go next door to the tbmobile store and ask about the blur. supposedly its tmobiles version (hardware wise) of the droid, just rounder. i did so, and fell in love with the keyboard. the buttons are raised. how ingenious! raised buttons? definition for your fingers to tell one button from another? less chance of hitting the button next to it? all my worries went away. no way verizon would shake this superb trait.

and then i opened my droid. with the flat keyboard. aaahhhh.....

but oh well. im getting used to it. i sometimes hit the buttons next to what im trying to type, but its small potatoes compared to my previous phone (xv6800).

hell, sometimes i dont even slide out the keyboard because the onscreen landscape keyboard is that damn good!
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    if your one major drawback to the droid is the keyboard, i suggest none of yall go into a tmobile store and get your hands on a blur, or cliq, or whatever they call it. earlier this month, i went into a vz store to get my hands on a droid- my main fear being the keyboard. the manager told me to go next door to the tbmobile store and ask about the blur. supposedly its tmobiles version (hardware wise) of the droid, just rounder. i did so, and fell in love with the keyboard. the buttons are raised. how ingenious! raised buttons? definition for your fingers to tell one button from another? less chance of hitting the button next to it? all my worries went away. no way verizon would shake this superb trait.

and then i opened my droid. with the flat keyboard. aaahhhh.....

but oh well. im getting used to it. i sometimes hit the buttons next to what im trying to type, but its small potatoes compared to my previous phone (xv6800).

hell, sometimes i dont even slide out the keyboard because the onscreen landscape keyboard is that damn good!
    It is NOT the equivalent hardware wise. The Droid is a beast, the Cliq.. not so much. Plus, was the Cliq as thin as the Droid?
  4. rod
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Nexus
    sorry. misleading choice of words. maybe i should have said that its as close as i would have come to getting my hands on the droid at that time. pictures are pretty and all, and i had seen tons of them on the net, but i wanted my hands on the phone at the moment. this was all coming from a verizon manager, mind you. his exact wording was "hey, do yourself a favor and go next door. tmobile has the blur, and its their version of hte droid. different software and all, but youll get the idea."

as far as thinness? i dont quite remember. the salesmen were trying so hard to get me to sign up, and i was playing around with one of their personal phones, that i didnt really get to fool around with it too much. the main reason i wanted to see it was the keyboard. sorry!
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Don't be sorry, just saying that the Droids hardware is much better than the Cliqs. The Droid also has newer software on it, is a tougher phone, and I'm pretty sure is thinner and has a bigger/higher res screen than the Cliq. The thickness is why the Cliq can have raised keys. They wanted the Droid to be nice and thin.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    The Droid is a thoroughbred racehorse and the Cliq is a pony. The phones are so dissimilar they might as well have come from two different companies. I wish the Droid could have had slightly raised keys, but I love how thin it is.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    like it more and more as i use it. guess getting used to it is the key. i remember my first BBerry 7500. I hated that keyboard. Looking back it was probably the best one ever.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    I hate the physical keyboard! I'm WAY faster on the soft keyboard in lanscape.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    One of the reasons I bought the phone was because of the real keyboard. However, since I've had the phone I have been so pleased with the virtual keyboard that I have rarely used the physical one. I do like using the directional pad on the real keyboard since it makes it easier to select very small things on webpages, play games, and select a certain letter in a message for a small correction.

Overall I m happy with using a combination of the virtual and real keyboard. I really like using the wide virtual version. Its what I used to type this whole message just now. The popup hints on the virtual keyboard lag when I type fast, but all my letters still appear in the message so it really doesn't hinder my speed much from typing quickly.

The physical keyboard is difficult to adjust too for fast typing in my expereience but it works decent when I don't need to type really fast. I'm just finding it hard to use when the virtual keyboard feels so natural to me.

I think I would like the physical one much better if it used the same layout as the virtual keyboard. It also makes it a little more difficult since its more to the left than the right. That extra lip on the side of the phone is mostly the blame for that. So with that said I think for general use the virtual one is the way to go but the directional pad on the keyboard makes it better for specific situations, mostly gaming.

The best physical keyboard I used has to be the one on the samsung glyde, but everything else about that phone is total crap.

We are not restricted to just virtual or real keyboard on the droid so I think flexibility between using them is what really makes this phone great.

I'm loving this phone more than any phone I've ever had before.

I typed all this using both virtual styles and the physical style keyboard. Yea I decided to test the physical keyboard once I wrote so much in this post.

I didn't say much about the small version of the virtual keyboard, but it works great and I use it mainly when I want to type with one hand.

You could use Apps like better keyboard to get fancy t9 support or whatever, but I find that highly unnecessary really.

I think the options allow most anyone to have a decent typing experience if not excellent due to the different ways you can choose to type on this nifty little Droid
    Last edited by SwordOfWar; 11-18-2009 at 05:42 PM.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I tried the hw keyboard for five days. Found it very difficult to type with any accuracy. Kept getting frustrated and switching over to the virtual keyboard. So why haul around all of that useless weight? Traded it in on an Eris. Happy camper.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Links