DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Droid attached to Wi-Fi; How to change the device name

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Droid attached to Wi-Fi; How to change the device name

Hello helpful folks,

Was hopoing this was an easy fix that someone might be able to help with. When I connect to my home network using my various computers and idevices, they all show up attached to my router by their computer name (though admittedly the iTouch just shows iPod5, or iPod6 or somesuch, and not what I actually named it, such as "Jake's iPod"). However when I connect to my home Wi-Fi with using either mine or my wife's Moto Droid, it just shows up as "<unknown>". There is no way to edit this in the router control panel, as it is what is being transmitted by the device. Any ideas on how to change my Droid's device name? Thanks.

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris, Verizon
    I'm trying to figure this out as well, I keep close track of the devices using my network and it's a pain to go through all my devices manually.

Also adding, my iPod Touch shows up using the name I set in iTunes, I'm surprsied that yours doesn't.
    Last edited by duel007; 06-12-2010 at 02:40 PM.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    To change the name of my device as it shows up on the network, I had to root, install busybox and write a script that calls "busybox hostname [new_device_name]" after it boots up. This method requires root and an app called autostart (root). I'm not sure if there is a better way at this point to set it once and make it permanent without requiring a script to run after booting up. This is just the method I've used and has worked for me.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I've never had that issue, though I'm surprised. Even the westell 7500 given by vz lets one edit the name of a connected device.

But even so, as far as network tracking goes, if it won't then what I would do is simply note your Droids Mac addy, then set your router to assign it the same IP (should still be able do so even while using dhcp), in that manner you would still be able to track it.

What routers are you guys using?
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris, Verizon
    I'm using a Verizon MiFi 2200 as well as a WRT54G. If I have to jailbreak to do this, I'm not going to bother because the 2.1 for Eris hasn't been rooted yet.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I have the same question from a similar problem. I like to use the WiFi's you can find all over the city, but many are not named with a distinctive name.
    I would like to rename the network that has an ID of Internet" or Netgear" to something more useful.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech_Man View Post
    I have the same question from a similar problem. I like to use the WiFi's you can find all over the city, but many are not named with a distinctive name.
    I would like to rename the network that has an ID of Internet" or Netgear" to something more useful.
    You can't do that. That is the SSID that is set in the router.
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drowe View Post
    You can't do that. That is the SSID that is set in the router.
    You can if it's Your Router.....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Thank god for those ID10T's! If they don't know how to change the name, they also don't know how to set security, hence they become hot spots for those who can connect.

If you want to help them out, go to the issueing gateway address and try the default logon once connected, you can then change it for them!

Try something like:

This space intentionally left blank - Works on netgear

I did your (daughter, sister, wife, etc) - did this to an annoying neighbor once.

Hackers welcome!

You get the picture.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by RW-1 View Post
    Thank god for those ID10T's! If they don't know how to change the name, they also don't know how to set security, hence they become hot spots for those who can connect.

If you want to help them out, go to the issueing gateway address and try the default logon once connected, you can then change it for them!

Try something like:

This space intentionally left blank - Works on netgear

I did your (daughter, sister, wife, etc) - did this to an annoying neighbor once.

Hackers welcome!

You get the picture.

Speaking of ID10Ts, my neighbor has her network unsecured and uses her first and last name as the name of her network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links