DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Droid for Tech-Challenged Dad?

1. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drbob View Post
    If he is intimidate with the Droid, the iPhone may be the best way for him to go. The Palm Pre may be another option as their WebOS is fairly intuitive. My 86 year old mother uses an iPhone. Documents To Go and Quick Office both allow creation, reading and editing Excel documents.
    Quote Originally Posted by brenj888 View Post
    Well!! Taking the liberty of talking for all tech challenged old people, I must say the Droid is wonderful!! I just got mine this morning. I have never had a smart phone before, and I was worried about figuring it out. OK....I was worried when I saw the skinny little multi fold rather than an actual manual. JUst by looking on this forum and googling my problems, I have figured out tons of stuff. Just having a regular stupid phone helps a person understand the intuitive steps.

I can't WAIT to show my Iphone son all my droid can do! He is already razzing me about the "theoretical" superiority of his phone. When he comes home for Christmas he and I will have a phone SMACK DOWN!!

I plan on tackling importing music tomorrow, but I have already got Pandora working! I just logged onto my online account and....BOOM...their were all of my party and easy listening playlists!
    I think it's great to see people uses devices that most would consider 'too much technology' for. 86 with an iPhone?! That's awesome
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    HTC Incredible "past-MotoDrd"
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    I think it's great to see people uses devices that most would consider 'too much technology' for. 86 with an iPhone?! That's awesome

Yep... thats awesome and unusual.

I work in the medical field and I see people in there 30's that are clueless, but then I see those rare folks in thier 80's and are sharp as a tack and have a better memory than me.

Its amazing the differences.

I can almost bet you that those rare folks don't struggle day to day with a computer they can't figure out either.

Some folks are techy minded and some just aren't and either just can't think that way or won't step up to the challenge.

Some folks won't or can't change their oil and only know how to turn a key and others can take apart a transmission and put it back together without a manual.
    The Second Mouse gets the Cheese!
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    If you use the phone as simply a device to talk, maybe text and get accustomed to checking things on the browser for the internet, the device is extremely easy.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1 ---> Droid 3
    The droid is user definable, it can be as simple, or as complex as you want to make it.
    Droid Army Recruit
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    I think there is a phone called the jitterbug for the technically challenged
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I've been following this thread with interest. I'm "sort of" tech challenged, but I can hold my own at times. I'm probably on the upper end of the age of people on this forum and was very upset there was no user manual with the droid and essentially after shelling out 300 bucks I was told, "you are on your own."

I went into a Verizon store and the guy there was patient and showed me some things and a few other things I was able to get from this forum.

I know that this phone can do so much more than I have done, and for me, I've done a lot (for someone on my level of tech-i-ness)

My confusion comes in on setting up the themes and desktop, folders, widgets and such. I need step by step instructions to follow. Once I have that, I'm fine. Any suggestions?

I personally don't feel too out of date to have a phone like this, but details for new owners of smart phones would have been nice.

Any suggestions to assist would be much appreciated.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid

User Manual

Quote Originally Posted by SJSD View Post
    I've been following this thread with interest. I'm "sort of" tech challenged, but I can hold my own at times. I'm probably on the upper end of the age of people on this forum and was very upset there was no user manual with the droid and essentially after shelling out 300 bucks I was told, "you are on your own."

I went into a Verizon store and the guy there was patient and showed me some things and a few other things I was able to get from this forum.

I know that this phone can do so much more than I have done, and for me, I've done a lot (for someone on my level of tech-i-ness)

My confusion comes in on setting up the themes and desktop, folders, widgets and such. I need step by step instructions to follow. Once I have that, I'm fine. Any suggestions?

I personally don't feel too out of date to have a phone like this, but details for new owners of smart phones would have been nice.

Any suggestions to assist would be much appreciated.
    Hello!
    Hello, there is a full manual (PDF file) on both Verizon's and Motorola's web sites. I will share the link below and it will help for it has 58 pages of great information!

Mikehttp://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...000202474a.pdf
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    ya. the droid isnt for people who have no idea about computers. an iphone is much simpler to use. however, my dad has a droid and he doesnt know much about computers. he just knows how to use his phone for the like 4 things i've taught him to do. i think the droid seems obvious to use, but a lot of people probably find it difficult to use
    got eris: 12/24/09
    returned eris: 12/28/09
    got droid: 12/31/09
    rooted droid: sometime in january (right after it was released (manually))
    bb->2.1 sbf->desire rom> 2.1bb> 2.2
    got incredible as warranty replacement 8/31/10
    shattered inc screen 9/25/10-> got insurace replacement 10/4/10
    broke inc screen 10/19/10-> got warranty replacement 10/22/10
    got moto droid 1 off ebay 1/7/11
    broke inc screen 5/26/11-> got insurance replacement inc2 5/27/11
    sold inc2 & bought vzw 16gb iphone 4 6/9/11
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid

Not hard to use

I think the Droid, once set up is extremely easy to use. The iPhone has it own shared of issues. For example, the Iphone is proprietary, which means no memory expansion, no flash support (coming in a 2 months for the Droid), lots of great applications and more.

The PDF manual from Verizon's and or Motorola's web site is well done and explains allot of things and how to maximize the use of your Droid.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDroid View Post
    I think there is a phone called the jitterbug for the technically challenged

Haha, off topic funny, we got one of those for my grandmother, and she was complaining about the volume in the ear piece. Turns out she was holding it upside down...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links