DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the lack of Hands Free operation bother anyone?

1. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Phone
    Motor Droid & Droid Eris
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnk View Post
    Yes <g>.
    What do you think the odds are that this can be fixed with a "patch" (Droid's lack of BT voice dialing)? I can put up with it for a while but I don't want to be required to get a new phone to get the feature.

John
    It better be and hopefully will be on the next update (2.1?). BTW, this is not a "Droid" only problem, it is an "Android" problem. The Eris and others are in the same boat.
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 928Droid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnk View Post
    Yes <g>.
    What do you think the odds are that this can be fixed with a "patch" (Droid's lack of BT voice dialing)? I can put up with it for a while but I don't want to be required to get a new phone to get the feature.

John
    It better be and hopefully will be on the next update (2.1?). BTW, this is not a "Droid" only problem, it is an "Android" problem. The Eris and others are in the same boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by 928Droid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    My research indicates that the Blue Ant Q1 or V1 solves this issue. I'll explain why.

The technology of the Blue Ant is such so that it actually has the capacity to speak to you, not the phone. Therefore when you press the button and hear "Say a command" it's the headset talking. It then finds the contact on your list and the phone calls it.

What you may have confused it with was the alternative solution which is an app that you can purchase in the market. In any case I'll get back with everyone once I receive mine which may be as early as the 16th.
    That is not correct. The BlueAnt Q1 will voice call the built in speed dials(8) of the BlueAnt, NOT from the Droid Contacts list.

You still need the combo of Voice Dialer HF (and optionally Button Shortcut) and it requires a single button press (on screen or camera button if remapped) to start the Voice Dialing of the contacts in the Droid. Once that is initiated you can hear the prompts in the BlueAnt and from then on you can use Voice Dialer HF to call contacts or open apps in the Droid. Until Motorola or Google fix the missing BT stack, the microphone for Voice dialing is still done with the Droid's mic and you cannot initiate the Droid's internal Voice dialing without at least 1 button press. When(if) this is fixed you will be able to initiate Voice dialing of the Droid with a button press on the BT headset as is commonly known on other phones as "Handsfree".

Confused yet??? :-)
    I don't think it's as complicated as all that, however I am seeing some post from people with a V1 saying they have had issues. I haven't seen any from people with a Q1.

I really don't know. Either way I'm giving my Jawbone 2 to my wife and I'm keeping the Q1. If it doesn't work I'll have to wait just like everybody else for a fix I suppose.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I was totally shocked when I found I could not voice dial from my bluetooth. This is absolutely essential these days, when you are not supposed to be looking at your handset while driving! My two older phones worked great in this respect. I just pressed the button on my bluetooth device and it would say "please say a command" and I would say "Call John" etc. If there was a choice of home or mobile it would ask then I would select and it would cal. I downloaded an app which works somewhat- except you have to unlock the phone each time and press a buton on the phone which is distracting if you are driving. This must be fixed or I may have to take back the phone.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Does this mean I have to buy a BlueAnt? I just bought a Jawbone2. That is a Blueant Q1? I wonder where you can get that?
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryU View Post
    Does this mean I have to buy a BlueAnt? I just bought a Jawbone2. That is a Blueant Q1? I wonder where you can get that?

Don't buy a blue ant until I post my experience with it. I'll let you know if it works.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I downloaded a program called Voice Dialer HF. I put a shortcut to the voice dial on my home screen. I put a short cut to enable BT on the home screen.

When I don my headset, I turn on the BT with ONE stroke (Beautiful Widget BT).
    I mount the droid on my dash and plug in the charger (so my screen stays lit).
    When I need to make a call, I press the Microphone button (already set default to Voice Dialer HF) and then it speaks to me just like on my old phone did and just like you mentioned before. It even asks me Home, Mobile, Work etc. The moment I say YES, it places the call and switches to my Headset. The microphone on the Droid is sensitive enough that it can pick up what I'm saying without trouble. The only trouble I DO HAVE is when the kids are arguing or the radio is on. Then it can not discern me from the background noise.

So I can't tap the headset button to activate the microphone (on the phone or head set), but its still a single keystroke to Activate & End the call.

I wish it was like my old phone, but it's a small adjustment for having a droid.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

Don't buy a blue ant until I post my experience with it. I'll let you know if it works.
    I got mine today from Radio Shack. I haven't got to play with it yet, other than the drive home. Tomorrow will be the real test
  8. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Phone
    Motor Droid & Droid Eris
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I had a great real world test yesterday of the combo of my BlueAnt Q1, Voice Dialer HF and Button Shortcut.

I was driving my diesel dually truck on a rough road (think noisy inteior) with my Droid in my Verizon Shell/Holster still clipped to my belt and with a heavy coat on over it, I reached down and pressed the camera button (phone was not on standby yet).. I heard Voice Dialer ask me for a command in my Q1, I said Call xxxx Mobile, it confirmed my exact request, I said yes and it dialed the number I asked for on the first try.

Keep in mind that the Verizon Shell/Holster keeps the Droid facing into the holster and against my clothing, and it still heard me perfectly.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Thanks - I am anxious to hear how it works.
  10. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Thanks - I am anxious to hear how it works.
    +1. I'm hopeful mine will be here tomorrow or Saturdays.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Links