DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the lack of Hands Free operation bother anyone?

1. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Very interesting thread. Yes, I'm terribly bothered by the fact that my blue tooth device can't make a hands free call. I find it very difficult, not to mention dangerous, to use voice calling by having to push on the phone.

I will be checking out Voice Dialer Hand Free.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ThunderBolt
    I had Voice Dialer HF for a while, but wasn't really all that impressed with having to dial through my speakerphone. But after seeing a post from 928Droid, I requisitioned one my kids BlueAnt Q1 and it works great.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx HD
    It bothers me since I now have to take my eyes off the road if I need to make a call.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by 928Droid View Post
    Visit this site for a "workaround" until (or if) the Droid is fixed in this respect.

Voice Dialer HF (DFXmobile)

Works as advertized and voice recognition is far superior to the native app. Works consistantly even over 20 feet from the phone with ambiant noise(still uses phone mic, not BT mic)

If your BT headset supports "media audio" it will work almost like real HF dialing, has voice control of apps too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDebbi View Post
    Visit this site for a "workaround" until (or if) the Droid is fixed in this respect.

Voice Dialer HF (DFXmobile)

Works as advertized and voice recognition is far superior to the native app. Works consistantly even over 20 feet from the phone with ambiant noise(still uses phone mic, not BT mic)

If your BT headset supports "media audio" it will work almost like real HF dialing, has voice control of apps too.

Although I looked at this and it is EXACTLY what my old phone did (and loved), I don't want to reprogram my camera button.
    Reprogramming the camera button is a seperate app and NOT necessary at all for using VoiceDialer HF.

BTW IF you do use the Button Shortcut app to reprogram your camera button, it doesn't affect the camera button when you open the camera, it still works as normal as the shutter button.
    Oooo I think I will have to Re-Read this site info more carefully because what I began reading was what I hoped the Droid would do - But when I saw the part about reprograming the camera button, I stopped right there.
    Time to look closer. Thanks!
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    "VoiceCommand has been out for many years, and even el-cheapo phones offer it."

No android phone natively supports it yet ...

Give moto time, they are aware of it and what it means to us.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkBear View Post
    I wonder if anyone makes BT headsets that go into your ear canal, like some of the smaller hearing aids?
    At least with a "leech" on my face, people know that I'm not just talking to myself. Were the BT headset invisible, they'd *know* I was crazy.

As for the lack of hands-free voice-dialing: Yes, it bugs the ever-loving $#!^ out of me. Every BT-capable phone I've ever owned has had completely hands-free voice-dialing in some form or another. Except the Droid...

However, having said that, I love the Droid for all its other features. This lack of hands-free voice-dialing CAN be fixed by software. And I'm certain it WILL be fixed, because so many people have complained on the Motorola forums, the Google Coding forum, here, and everywhere else I've looked. Plus, HF is rapidly becoming the law nearly everywhere.

So it's really just a matter of time before the developers get around to implementing it. In the meantime, I'm keeping my Droid for all of its other wonderful features.

And hey -- at least you can ANSWER an incoming call on your BT headset without reaching for the phone. So it could be worse...
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Since both my cars have bluetooth built in that paired to the Droid, I had no idea that you could not dial with a headset. The car hands free hooks up and dials just fine.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    404-895-2374
    Yes, this is a huge issue for me. I was somewhat amazed that it lacked this basic and fundamental feature. While it does not tarnish my view of the product as much as it does for some of the posters, I do hope (and am confident) that a software update will take care of this.

Not having owned an iPhone, is it true that all but the latest version lacks this feature as well (not that it matters to me)?
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon DROID
    Has anyone tried using with with HANDSFREELINK (Honda,Acura)?
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    OG Droid vet / G-Nex fanboy
    Voice Dialer HF is a noble attempt, but it's a stopgap measure at best for the many reasons already stated.

That being said, everything I've read on the topic indicates there are are no methods or objects in the underlying Android OS to support this functionality, even if the hardware is capable of it.

That begs the question: Is a fix at the OS level even possible on top of the existing Android code base?

And if a fix is possible, can someone at Google please give us a glimmer of hope by telling us they're actually working on one?

Like Dan Miller's original post above, I'm thinking it doesn't bode well that Google has classified this as an "enhancement" with "medium" priority.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links