DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Charging cable ?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Note 2

Charging cable ?

I went from a LG Envy3 to the Droid and have noticed that the Charger & cable look the same (charger puts out the same voltage). It is also two seperate peices like the Droid factory cable basicly a power supply and a cable with a USB end that plugs into the power supply. The end that plugs into the Droid has a letter B on it and the USB mark. Could I use that cablr & or charger on my Droid?

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid RAZR
    My wife has the EnV3 currently, we share chargers/car chargers all the time, no trouble yet.
    Droid RAZR 6.16.211 Rooted 4.0.4
    ASUS Transformer Prime stock 4.0.3
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    This is another topic that comes up from time to time. Some swear that you're doing your phone an injustice by not using the Droid charger. Others have said that it causes their phone to randomly call people or even send text messages.

I've been running my Droid off of my Storms charger (now hooked up to my Dock) since day 1 and have had 0 issues.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Same Here... I have used several diff chargers, Sprint Motorola Charger, Storm2 Charger, hell even my bluetooth charger... the only diff I notice is the time it takes to charge and thats all down to the mAH/AH output as long as your not going OVER the OEM chargers ratings I think your safe
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by heath223 View Post
    I went from a LG Envy3 to the Droid and have noticed that the Charger & cable look the same (charger puts out the same voltage). It is also two seperate peices like the Droid factory cable basicly a power supply and a cable with a USB end that plugs into the power supply. The end that plugs into the Droid has a letter B on it and the USB mark. Could I use that cablr & or charger on my Droid?
    I use my old LG Chocolate 3 cable (same as Envy3) & adapter to charge my Droid. It works fine (just as well as the Moto), but where you have to worry is in the case of hardwired third party microUSB AC adapters. The $15 one from Wal-Mart I bought and eventually returned caused interference with the screen, and would browse web pages or maps while I was sleeping... (thankfully no text messages or phone calls like others reported)
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Iphone4 ; HTC Incredible

Re: Charging cable ?

I switch from my moto charger at home to an lg charger at work with no issue, i also use a generic radioshack car charger that i bought for my dare over a year ago that friggin blasts my droid with a charge in what seems like half the time. I've often wondered if the car charger might be harming my phone but if it is I can't tell.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    There are only three requirements for a droid charger: 1) it has the appropriate type of connection 2) it sources sufficient current (>500ma) and 3) it has a 5V regulated output . The power supplies that cause problems have unregulated outputs and could conceivably damage your phone (it's not likely, but it could happen).
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by heath223 View Post
    If it's less than 850mA then it will charge the Droid slower than the one that came with the Droid.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 (SCH-i545)
    I've used my Env3 cable and charger with the Droid without any problems. In addition, I've purchased several additional cables (6ft) and chargers from monoprice.com. They work superbly and cost much less than OEM or other retail cables. If I remember correctly, a 6ft cable and charger cost under $4.

Links