DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Conserve Power

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Best Way to Conserve Power

So I got the Droid a couple days ago and have already tried switching out the battery at the store since I felt like it wasnt lasting as long as it should.
    Now I do use the phone alot during the day, such as listening to Pandora and texting however my average battery like is probably 5-6 hours. Is this usual?
    I have the Battery Widget to show the percentage of battery left because I couldnt find anything on the phone that would do that itself so I had to get the "Battery Widget" which is always running. I also always check "Running services" and basically close everything except "Android Keyboard" and "Battery Widget."
    I also control my Display Brightness consistently, putting it on the lowest level whenever I am inside and dont need it. Can anyone tell me if there is anything I am doing wrong or what to do and if they are having this same problem? Thanks.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I use the Advanced Task Killer Free app which lets you shut down apps that you may not know are running.
  3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    I don't really worry about it....it is what it is.

If I'm at my desk at home or work....it's docked
    In the truck it's plugged in...
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID
    You can find the percentage of battery under Settings>About phone>Status.
    On the power widget I usually leave everything off except wifi and screen brightness when needed. And instead of waiting for the screen to cut off by itself I always hit the sleep button as soon as I'm done using the phone. The display is going to eat up the majority of your battery. The best I've gotten is about 12hours out of the phone with moderate use of GPS, Wifi, emailing, surfing, etc.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X & XOOM
    Battery life is short. But i cant complain too much...the thing works amazing and what I do with it has to consume battery life.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG DROID SS
    i turn off pretty much everything i am not using at the time. Advanced task killer will help but not too much. The things i found really kill the battery are the WiFi, GPS and to a degree Bluetooth. I use some simple widgets to control these without having to go through all the menus. All are by CurveFish and called Wifi ON/OFF GPS ON/OFF, and Bluetooth ON/Off. The Bluetooth one is not working on the Moto Droid yet but the others are. I didnt like the way GPS on/Off worked in one click mode because it needs to restart services to work so i set it to shortcut mode.

I also got the Brightness level widget from them too because i didnt like the auto dimm and have sensitive eyes so i rarely have it at full brightness. That plus cranking the brightness on the display down will conserve battery since it is the biggest hog other then gps.
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bishop View Post
    Advanced task killer will help but not too much.

I have found that it causes more problems than it's worth..YMMV
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

power consumption

I agree with bishop about the biggest drains on the battery such as screen , GPS, wifi, and bluetooth. I like Adv Task Manager better than taskiller and Adv Task Killer.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    some people i talk to tell me the battery life is great and others complain it is extremely short. i just want to know if it will get me through the day on a full charge.
  10. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1568 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TONYG2388 View Post
    some people i talk to tell me the battery life is great and others complain it is extremely short. i just want to know if it will get me through the day on a full charge.
    depends really. If you use it heavily throughout the day more than likely no. Light to moderate use should get you through. Then again whats the definition of light to moderate to heavy : )

Jamming all this technology into a "small" handset is going to require a lot of juice. These devices nowadays are really just mini computers with a phone built into them and charging habits are definitely changing. Unless somebody that invents solar powered smartphones or some super battery we are going to have to live with this.

The days of going a couple days without charging is loooong gone : )
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links