DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Help me switch to Droid!

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Help me switch to Droid!

Hopefully this will be rather straightforward for you folks.

I currently use a work provided AT&T Tilt (I know it's old.) I got android installed on it a while ago though and now I am hooked. It's time to replace my phone. My work offers a Tilt 2 for AT&T which I've heard porting android to is lame. They also offer a Verizon Black Berry Tour. Both options come with unlimited data.

What I want to know is: If I have my work acquire the Verizon Tour for me with unlimited data, and I purchase a Droid with a basic voice plan can I swap the SIMs and get my unlimited data on the Droid?

Droid I am thinking of buying: Amazon.com: Motorola DROID A855 Android Phone (Verizon Wireless): Cell Phones & Service

Black Berry Tour: BlackBerry Tour from Verizon Wireless - Home

I just want to make sure this stuff will work before I sign up for a 2 year contract... Any help is really appreciated!
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    First of all welcome to droidforums

And to answer your question, the Droid does not have a SIM card. As with all VZW phones, CDMA network devices do not require a SIM

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Gotchya. So is there not a way to switch the numbers and plans of the two phones?
  4. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    nope gotta get a phone that accepts sim cards. idk what the restrictions are but the milestone is the droid only on the GSM network (takes sim cards) as for getting one in america, idk if itd work
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    I honestly am not sure about that man...I wish I could be of more help with your situation!

I do know that somehow they can jailbreak the iPhone and modify it to have service on CDMA networks like Verizon, but I really don't think this kind of hack has been reversed to do the opposite. But other than something of that nature I don't *think* it is possible, although I can always be wrong but who knows

6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Dang, I was really getting excited about getting a Droid.... Now to try and find another Android phone that this'll work with.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X2
    Your theory is sound. The problem is that you would need administrator rights to the account that you are adding the Droid to. Your name would have to be on the account. For example, if you bought a used Droid and you had a Tour (personal phone), you can go online and switch the phones on your account. Technilogical, very possible, contractually, you may be out of luck.

I came from a Tilt also. I was patiently awaiting the Tilt 2 when I tried Android and loved it. You will be very happy with the Droid. I will add however that the physical keyboard on the Droid is actually worse than the Tilt, in my opinion. I never use it however, as the software keyboard works fine. And I have big hands.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    AOKP Rom - current build
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by myriad46 View Post
    Your theory is sound. The problem is that you would need administrator rights to the account that you are adding the Droid to. Your name would have to be on the account. For example, if you bought a used Droid and you had a Tour (personal phone), you can go online and switch the phones on your account. Technilogical, very possible, contractually, you may be out of luck.

I came from a Tilt also. I was patiently awaiting the Tilt 2 when I tried Android and loved it. You will be very happy with the Droid. I will add however that the physical keyboard on the Droid is actually worse than the Tilt, in my opinion. I never use it however, as the software keyboard works fine. And I have big hands.
    I still don't understand how simply switching the devices on his account would work when the issue is a hardware issue?

And also, to the OP, I just remembered the Nexus One. You can only buy it online at google.com/phone

It works on AT&T and T-Mobile right now I believe. You could do some research on it as it is technically the most powerful Android device available

9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by forehand View Post
    What I want to know is: If I have my work acquire the Verizon Tour for me with unlimited data, and I purchase a Droid with a basic voice plan can I swap the SIMs and get my unlimited data on the Droid?
    It is possible. You will have to swap the phones. Your going to have two accounts correct? One that is under your company and one personal?

Quote Originally Posted by natediddy1120 View Post
    I do know that somehow they can jailbreak the iPhone and modify it to have service on CDMA networks like Verizon, but I really don't think this kind of hack has been reversed to do the opposite.
    There is no hack that will allow a GSM iPhone to work on a CDMA network. It is a hardware limitation and not a software one. The current iPhone only has a GSM radio in it and does not connect to any CDMA network.

Links