DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Retail droids could possibly ship with faulty cameras

1. Droid
    Member #
    I am unable to view those vids via quicktime. Anyone here able to convert those on youtube or something?

This is not sitting well with me at all. This is going to be my first smartphone purchase and don't want it to be a nightmare. I am starting to think that it may be wise to wait this out...which makes me sad.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Naut Human View Post
    I am unable to view those vids via quicktime. Anyone here able to convert those on youtube or something?

This is not sitting well with me at all. This is going to be my first smartphone purchase and don't want it to be a nightmare. I am starting to think that it may be wise to wait this out...which makes me sad.
    I wish I knew how to do that for you.

It's a distinct 4 clicks when the camera program is coming up. Then there is a bunch of louder clicks while the camera can't focus on the image.

They are talking about the 4 clicks. You can't miss it. Like the other poster said. Don't let the rep do anything until you listen to the camera starting up. Ask for another phone and then another. If the rep gives you gruff, tell him to bad open another.
    Member #

People still use quicktime? Just download a better video player. I am not a mac user but this should take care of all of your video incompatibilities with quicktime. Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

Quote Originally Posted by pilot25 View Post

I wish I knew how to do that for you.

It's a distinct 4 clicks when the camera program is coming up. Then there is a bunch of louder clicks while the camera can't focus on the image.

They are talking about the 4 clicks. You can't miss it. Like the other poster said. Don't let the rep do anything until you listen to the camera starting up. Ask for another phone and then another. If the rep gives you gruff, tell him to bad open another.
    Its just too bad you have to go through the whole "setting up your account" before you can even get to the camera.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    droid
    Its just too bad you have to go through the whole "setting up your account" before you can even get to the camera.
    How do you know that? Additionally, shouldn't matter as long as you don't leave the store without checking. They can set up another account on another phone.
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot25 View Post
    How do you know that? Additionally, shouldn't matter as long as you don't leave the store without checking. They can set up another account on another phone.
    I dont know first hand but I am assuming the version of android on the phone works like every other android version that requires you to setup the phone before you can use it which takes a minute or two... its not a big deal but it is a hassle.
    Found a picture of what I mean.
    Last edited by shatteredzman; 11-04-2009 at 09:25 PM.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    There is something I read about skipping the account set-up by touching the four corners. I'll try and search for it again.
    Page 29
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Also its easy to hear those clicks when alone at home and no 1 around. I could hardly hear droid when the phone started at the store, and there weren't a bunch of people waiting to buy a droid- hopefully the clicks will be loud enough to hear in the store.
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Since you have 30 days to return, I may just wait till I get home to inspect unless it's slow at BB tomorrow night. I'm guessing it's going to be a bear to try to diagnose it in line at a busy store. If there's a problem, I'll just have to return it and go without a phone for three weeks :O
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I've been wondering if this clicking as ALSO a software issue. YES the click is coming from the hardware but I imagine the software could definitely cause this. Imagine if the lense can move from -.5" to .5" to focus. That is its range of movement. Now imagine the software telling it to keep moving out even though it is already at .5". I'm sure it would click as it hits its max or the case around the camera or whatever.

Just an idea. Software could fix the whole thing, but I have no knowledge of the camera or software on this phone so I could be 100% wrong and all these phones have bad cameras.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeatdroidforums View Post
    Since you have 30 days to return, I may just wait till I get home to inspect unless it's slow at BB tomorrow night. I'm guessing it's going to be a bear to try to diagnose it in line at a busy store. If there's a problem, I'll just have to return it and go without a phone for three weeks :O
    Probably a good idea. However, only if the replacement device is a new Droid. Not some referb POS. I believe it is a new one until the 30 days expires. Then you you are under the warranty where they will give you a referb. They did that with my BB.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links