DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naked Droid falls 10 feet to concrete, laughs

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Naked Droid falls 10 feet to concrete, laughs

Yesterday was a ****ty day, it was pissing rain at 9am as I walked to class. I was strolling past Dunkin Donuts, heading for some steps, and I decided to see if I had enough time to stop in for some nice hot chocolate. (Note: I was approaching from the top)

As I reached the top step and put my hand in my pocket I had a vision. I watched myself in third person, pulling the phone out, lifting it up and watching it fly out of my hand. I quickly shrugged it off and proceeded to pull my phone out. Then it happened. I lifted the phone up to check the time, and it flew out of my hand... Wait, what? There it went, landing right on the bottom step, ejecting the battery cover and battery. I quickly snatched up all the pieces and shoved them into my pocket, lest they get wet. Once I get to class I put it all back together and held the power button down, without high hopes. Low and behold, the droid boots up without a hiccup, screen is 100% responsive and nothing seems loose.

To wrap this up, the bezel has some scratches, and the corner where the initial impact occurred has a couple pits in it. Other than that, I haven't seen any issues, and the screen is crackless! I am amazed. In retrospect, the droid acted just like an F1 car, designed to break apart to disperse the energy, protecting the valuable contents. I no longer have doubts about the durability of my Droid.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Old man Droid CM6 - Incognito
    Great post. That title killed me. Nice pics. I now have more confidence than ever
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Epic! Thanks for the pics!
    Ran into a little snag? Have a question? Think your phone is only good to hold down rogue papers in a wind storm now? Visit the Rescue Squad!
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Glad it's OK, but it still makes me shudder....
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ive dropped mine a million times, a few times so hard that the case broke off. Now the front of the case is permanently broken off and I only have a back. Oddly, it still falls. But thankfully, it hasnt sustained one scratch. Now it seems to fall screen first alot though, thats getting me a little concerned.

But this story is good. Im glad youre Droid isnt busted up, just like Im glad my own isnt. This thing can really take a hit.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Thats neat that it didnt bust on you. I have dropped mine from dinner table height and almost had a heat attack thinking it was broke. But as you mentioned, it comes apart and everything is all good when its put back together.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanged View Post
    I no longer have doubts about the durability of my Droid.
    The thing is that you never know with drops. It's certainly possible to end up with far worse damage. You were definitely lucky.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Actually!! I'm looking for that particular part, I'd like to replace mine. I have the same dents and dings.. Anyone know where I can get one?
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    So a few days after the incident, it seems I didn't get away completely scott free. Ever since the drop I have gotten terrible (and by terrible I mean 0) reception in my apartment. I used to be able to make calls and receive texts/email no problem (on 3G or wifi). Now I can't make a single call, If a call happens to go out it gets dropped as soon as the person says hello.

I tend to think it's unrelated, since I can make calls everywhere else no problem (I've never had a problem with call quality on this phone). Is there a way to report dead-zones to Verizon, especially if they were previously fine?
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Perhaps you should reboot your phone first, if you haven't already, just to be sure. Do you have any insurance? I slipped and fell on some ice not long ago, experienced some cosmetic damage. However, I have not experienced any issues. Since then I have ordered the SEIDIO case for protection. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
    Last edited by Azeke; 03-20-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links