DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last name first

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Question Last name first

I have a Motorola Droid. Does anyone know how to make the last name appear first in the contacts list?

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmac98 View Post
    I have a Motorola Droid. Does anyone know how to make the last name appear first in the contacts list?
    You can't do it like this: Doe, John?

Or are you asking to change all your contacts. I don't think it can be done except 1 at a time. Many contacts that I have don't even have last names. Like "Doctor."
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    droid
    Go into Gmail on your PC. For each entry you need to change the name to "Last name, First name" i.e. Smith, John.

You cannot do it all at once. You have to edit each entry that way. Another Google flaw but it can be done.
  5. Beta Team
    Member #
    Twitter
    dabowerman
    Phone
    Rooted Droid, OC @ 1.1 Ghz
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I think it can be done if exporting the contacts from Outlook to a .csv file. After export open the .csv file and change the column names around.
    If you like what I do, thanks

Your can follow me as follows

@dabowerman - Twitter
    Derek Bower - G+ - this is where I will be @ the most and where stuff gets released first.

Theming Guides that might come in handy
    Theming Guide for Progress Bar
    Notification Text Color Change (How to)
    Theming Guide for System Text
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I have 300+ contacts in my phone so changing them one by one would take quite a while. Maybe in a future update they could include a way to do it on the phone. I know I could do this on my Blackberry. I wonder why Google didn't include such a simple feature in the program.
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmac98 View Post
    I have 300+ contacts in my phone so changing them one by one would take quite a while. Maybe in a future update they could include a way to do it on the phone. I know I could do this on my Blackberry. I wonder why Google didn't include such a simple feature in the program.
    Because it's not a Blackberry. You bought a google phone and Gmail is not set up that way. If Gmail isn't set up that way then the phone can't be either.

If that's a feature you would like to see there is a link available where you can suggest to Google what features you would want in future updates. Sorry, I don't know the link maybe someone else can provide or you can do a google search.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Google contacts (check them out in gmail) have only one name, it'snot split into first, last.

ero
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    I kept thinking about this thread and I wonder what the op needed last names first for. If you are searching for a name you can just use the search, microphone and say the last name. It should bring up the contact for you. There may not be a need with a Google phone to have this feature.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Ok, so now that Dialer One no longer allows sorting by last name, any other apps still offer this feature?

I know that people say you can search for the last name, but if you think about the way most people use a phone when they are making a call (one handed, holding the phone vertically and navigating with their thumb), having to type in several letters is much more cumbersome than speed scrolling to the first letter of the last name (using a side ribbon), and then kinetic scrolling down to the desired contact. Particularly for people who know their contact list well and are used to doing this on almost any other modern smartphone. It seems like an amazing regression to remove this feature and then expect someone to change the way they find their contacts when it is so incredibly simple to simply allow the user to view by last names first.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

It's there !!!

Since the latest update to 2.2, you have the ability to sort your contacts by last name. Open contacts, tap menu, display options, "sort list by", last name.
    Then change "view contact names as" to "last name first".
    And you're done!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links