DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: replacement screen(glass)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by bmking24 View Post
    Good info! If you get the service center up and running let us know. I'm in the Baltimore area and have an OG that I can't upgrade for 1+ years so I may have to visit you should I break it! Thanks and good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    I assume you're talking to me. Everything is up and running, the part is now available, but don't break it cos the repair is still very expensive! Thanks.
    in Maryland and Washington DC, cell phone repair is taking off. It's amazing the number of smartphones with touch screens that get dropped and crack.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by WideBody View Post
    to johall07

I am not a troll, it is my first post because this IS a problem, I could identify with.

Did Motorola/Verizon ever stop to think that the phone may drop? Is the glass built to withstand every drop? What if the speaker module goes bad? I now have to buy a new phone?

Please, the push for insurance on a consumer product leads me to believe that this forum is filled with Verizon/Motorola staff.

I am asking to fix a simple problem, and I am being told by Verizon the phone needs to be replaced. And I am a troll?

Oh great high ones, I have now learned my lessons... when buying substandard Motorola products, I need insurance, because if and when the phone shall break, it can never be repaired.

Post number 2 and my first internet rant in 15 years.
    Simple math shows the insurance is worth it. It's just too easy to ruin a phone.

$6/month x 24 months + $50 deductible = $194. The price of a new (subsidized) phone. And generally if they are out of stock of your phone, you get a free upgrade.

You break your phone, and your out $200+ easy for another new phone.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by fry-lock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WideBody View Post
    to johall07

I am not a troll, it is my first post because this IS a problem, I could identify with.

Did Motorola/Verizon ever stop to think that the phone may drop? Is the glass built to withstand every drop? What if the speaker module goes bad? I now have to buy a new phone?

Please, the push for insurance on a consumer product leads me to believe that this forum is filled with Verizon/Motorola staff.

I am asking to fix a simple problem, and I am being told by Verizon the phone needs to be replaced. And I am a troll?

Oh great high ones, I have now learned my lessons... when buying substandard Motorola products, I need insurance, because if and when the phone shall break, it can never be repaired.

Post number 2 and my first internet rant in 15 years.
    Simple math shows the insurance is worth it. It's just too easy to ruin a phone.

$6/month x 24 months + $50 deductible = $194. The price of a new (subsidized) phone. And generally if they are out of stock of your phone, you get a free upgrade.

Your math proves nothing. You have to account for how likely you are to break your phone. The insurance is not worth it because you are much more likely to never use the insurance and waste $200.
    Last edited by matt2783; 03-31-2011 at 12:05 AM.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by fry-lock View Post

Your assuming that you will use the insurance for every phone you buy. In my case:
    (15 years * 12 Months * $5) + $89 = $989

Is what I would have paid out if I just now break my current phone as I have never been in a position to claim insurance. Doesn't look like it pays to me if you take good care of your phone. These number are even worse now with the new monthly cost of insurance ( I used the cost/month from several years ago above ).
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola DROID X
    We have a bunch of amateur actuaries in this thread. I'm no exception. There's a future in insurance for some of us, a future in insurance sales for others. :P
    in Maryland and Washington DC, cell phone repair is taking off. It's amazing the number of smartphones with touch screens that get dropped and crack.
  6. Wow
    Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Widebody, I feel your pain, you would think if the phone is still operational, you would be able to depend on Verizon to fix it and charge you a repair fee for the cracked glass instead of having to use your insurance to replace the entire unit, you would think there would be a cheaper way to go about getting this repair with in mind this would be cheaper then using your insurance. So it is Verizons fault for not being considerate enough to replace a screen that has a high provability to be cracked.
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    Widebody, I feel your pain, you would think if the phone is still operational, you would be able to depend on Verizon to fix it and charge you a repair fee for the cracked glass instead of having to use your insurance to replace the entire unit, you would think there would be a cheaper way to go about getting this repair with in mind this would be cheaper then using your insurance. So it is Verizons fault for not being considerate enough to replace a screen that has a high provability to be cracked.
    OK here's something you have to understand. Verizon does not repair phones. None of the major carriers do on the corporate level. In fact most of them will ONLY try to sell you a new phone.

Verizon is the worst about this. They will tell you the phone is a total loss and there's nothing they can do, even though they know full well that there are shops like mine (I own a cell phone repair business but I am not allowed to advertise on here). They don't make any money if you pay me $120 to repair your DROID. So they actually aggressively hide the fact that there are places out there that will repair your phone.

There's a lot more I can get into but the fact is, Verizon will deny that the phone is even repairable.
  8. Wow
    Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Search for a company called Via Fone, I believe they are resonable in price, but I pay $50.00 for insurance and I think they match that price, but some are paying more so it may be more, never checked, but I hear thy are resonable.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    so for that, better use a screen protector or something to protect the glass. that would really make sense of course.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Links