DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: replacement screen(glass)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreysong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingkevin View Post
    Well, I dropped my phone on landscape pebbles and it shattered bad. Touchscreen still works, I just need the replacement glass. Anybody have any leads on where to get this? Everything I have seen/researched so far leads to a dead end.

I declined the insurance as usual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hate getting phone calls, texts, etc. because I have to look at my shattered phone. I'd like to fix this ASAP.

Thanks,
    You can try to repair your phone by yourself if you are interested, because it costs much more if you return the phone to those repair shops. Here is a site that shows many take apart videos about the latest models of htc, samsung, motorola and apple. They can give you many hints about how to disassemble and install a phone.
    You can also get comprehensive replacement parts such as the htc replacement parts and the motorola replacement parts from the site. Have a try. Good luck to you!
    minimum order of two Motorola DROID digitizers from that website. It's one of the toughest cell phone repairs out there, but I know of at least one DIYer that did it successfully.
    in Maryland and Washington DC, cell phone repair is taking off. It's amazing the number of smartphones with touch screens that get dropped and crack.
  2. axe
    Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreysong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingkevin View Post
    Well, I dropped my phone on landscape pebbles and it shattered bad. Touchscreen still works, I just need the replacement glass. Anybody have any leads on where to get this? Everything I have seen/researched so far leads to a dead end.

I declined the insurance as usual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hate getting phone calls, texts, etc. because I have to look at my shattered phone. I'd like to fix this ASAP.

Thanks,
    You can try to repair your phone by yourself if you are interested, because it costs much more if you return the phone to those repair shops. Here is a site that shows many take apart videos about the latest models of htc, samsung, motorola and apple. They can give you many hints about how to disassemble and install a phone.
    You can also get comprehensive replacement parts such as the htc replacement parts and the motorola replacement parts from the site. Have a try. Good luck to you!
    minimum order of two Motorola DROID digitizers from that website. It's one of the toughest cell phone repairs out there, but I know of at least one DIYer that did it successfully.
    I did it myself but I honestly would not recommend it, a lot can go wrong in the process and since its the last thing you take off, and then have to put EVERYTHING back together to see if it works, it can be extremely time consuming and frustrating when its all together and doesnt function, I didnt count how many times I took it apart and reassembled.

On top of that I paid $60-65 for my digitizer (prices seem to be coming down) and someone else here mentioned that you can get it repaired for $75 with a 2 week turnaround, for me this would have been the better way to go, only $10 more you just have to suffer through 2 weeks with no cell phone.

Also in the take apart videos, some things are inaccurate and the Droid phone has changed slightly, there are stickers binding your Verizon Droid together and they are tough to get unstuck. Also the very last step, all those ribbon cables are glued on to the body in such a way that I could not remove them without fear of actually destroying the phone, so I had to struggle to connect the digitizerers Ribbon to the appropriate connection, this is the toughest part of the job and as I said, you dont even know if it is connected, till you put it all back together again. In that process you can bend the pins on a lot of your ribbon's by pulling them apart and reattaching.

Just compare the price of the Digitizer to the full price of sending it in for repairs and the cost for repair is SMALL compared to the risk you are going to be taking by Doing this repair yourself.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    xv6800
    $30 bucks on Ebay. But the post above mine has me thinking twice. I guess it's a good idea to watch the video first.

OEM Motorola Droid Touch Screen Glass Digitizer New USA - eBay (item 230497000910 end time Feb-03-11 13:01:22 PST)
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I just cracked my screen. $90 with ease or $30 goin through hell. . . . .decisions decisions
    Transformers Season 1 Intro Boot Animation
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Alright, I saw some tutorials and read some guides. Honestly, if you are familiar with small electronic devices, it's not all "that" bad. You can't skip the detail and be careful with all of the ribbon cables. I have taken apart a Wii. Honestly, to say that the thing only has 3 exterior panels and a bajillion screws, an odd configuration of the componenets, this will be a cake walk.
    Transformers Season 1 Intro Boot Animation
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIMUS124 View Post
    Alright, I saw some tutorials and read some guides. Honestly, if you are familiar with small electronic devices, it's not all "that" bad. You can't skip the detail and be careful with all of the ribbon cables. I have taken apart a Wii. Honestly, to say that the thing only has 3 exterior panels and a bajillion screws, an odd configuration of the componenets, this will be a cake walk.
    Did you actually do it?
    in Maryland and Washington DC, cell phone repair is taking off. It's amazing the number of smartphones with touch screens that get dropped and crack.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by johall07 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WideBody View Post

Amazing, I will now go around telling everyone how crappy Verizon is.
    cause you broke your phone and didnt get insurance???

Zing! haha
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Not the cheapest

This is not the easiest or cheapest repair. I've documented a teardown. It's doable for sure but with the cost of parts a DIY job could be risky.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage.Winlock View Post
    Its not worth doing it yourself.
    Yeah, OK spammer.

-Mike
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 2G
    Good info! If you get the service center up and running let us know. I'm in the Baltimore area and have an OG that I can't upgrade for 1+ years so I may have to visit you should I break it! Thanks and good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    Motorola Droid
    running CM 6.1 rc5
    800 mhz kernal
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Links