DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for a new DROID?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Is it time for a new DROID?

I'm an original droid owner -- bought the first day it came out and have loved it. I've had the phone for over 2 years now, and its starting to get a little sluggish / buggy / etc. For example, yesterday my wife called and even though I answered the phone -- it kept ringing and vibrating. It will also freeze from time-to-time. When its not acting up, its still a great phone.

I'm wondering if its time to get a new phone or modify this one. I did root it awhile back and am using Bugless Beast. I have overclocked it, too. I'm wondering if the hardware is just aging a bit and its time to upgrade.

Anyone out there still have an original Droid that is still 'good as new'? What ROM are you running?

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    Try wiping cache and dalvik cache. You might try a data wipe and reinstalling your ROM for a clean start.

X
    -Brad
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I too am an OG Droid owner and I have had some sucess preventing these types of performance bugs by increasing the minimum clock frequency of the CPU to 250. This has worked for both my wife's Droid 1 and my own. We have had both since December of 2009, and I started to notice those same performance issues about 5 months ago. Both devices are rooted and running SteelDroid 9.0. I hope this helps.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 (Rooted Stock)
    Quote Originally Posted by iHope View Post
    I'm wondering if its time to get a new phone or modify this one. I did root it awhile back and am using Bugless Beast. I have overclocked it, too. I'm wondering if the hardware is just aging a bit and its time to upgrade.

Anyone out there still have an original Droid that is still 'good as new'? What ROM are you running?
    Its time for a new phone.

My old Droid is fully rooted and ROMed and overclocked to 1ghz. But the new phones still run circles around it. One big weakness of the original Droid was it's tiny RAM...it only has 256 megs of RAM and that is just not enough anymore. One immediate difference you will notice with the new phones is that there are no "load" times anymore. I saw this especially with eBooks. Stuff just appears when you click on it. Thats not the CPU...thats the RAM. You can overclock the original Droid and tweak it to make it run better than factory, but no amount of tweaking will make up for that RAM shortcoming.

I'd say get a new phone and keep the Droid 1 as a backup.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Twitter
    soulshot96
    Phone
    GALAXY NEXUS LTE
    If you get I new phone I recommend the nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 (Rooted Stock)
    If you get a Nexus you will have to learn to live without SD. On my Droid 1 I used SD a lot. To transfer my stuff to my Rezound all I did was swap SD cards...took about 2 minutes.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    If you get a Nexus you will have to learn to live without SD. On my Droid 1 I used SD a lot. To transfer my stuff to my Rezound all I did was swap SD cards...took about 2 minutes.
    Its really no big deal for me. Just back everything up to my computer and transfer my files over. Kind of a hassle, but it's not a huge issue for me. Plus some devs are working on a way to partition the virtual memory to allow some memory to be used as mass storage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    moto driod
    Quote Originally Posted by iHope View Post
    iHope, you sound like you've gone down exactly the same path I found myself on two months ago. And I was having exactly the same problem with Gingerbread ROMs and continuous ringing during phone calls, among other things; the most annoying being flakey 3g/1x handoffs in fringe reception areas that resulted in a loss of data or phone connectivity.

As a last-ditch alternative to throwing down for another phone, I went here: Sholes - Downloads and downloaded the SBF file for the latest stock ROM, and using instructions here: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version I went back to the scratch, latest Verizon-supported ROM. Of course I then flashed a custom recovery and rooted so that I could overclock the stick kernel and use Titanium Backup.

What was I left with? A phone with super-stable phone and data connectivity, no problems with ringing while using the phone, and long battery life. I don't miss the small bells and whistles of GB at all. It's extended my OG Droid's life already by three months while I wait for Verizon to sort out this whole 4g authentication fiasco. Of course I did not make my Droid have more memory or make it faster...

Anyway, that's all for what it's worth; I hope it's a useful perspective. Good luck with whichever route to resolution you choose.

cheers,
    john
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    RAZR Maxx
    I'm still on my original D1, bought in Jan. 2010, and running it bone stock no less. I occasionally get the ring issue you describe, as well as the serious screen redraw slowdown - it sometimes takes over 30 seconds for my homescreen icons to appear after closing an app. I've been toying with the idea of rooting, and also eying the RAZR. I almost feel bad looking at new phones, since this one has been such a trouper for me, but I think as stated above that the 256M RAM limitation is finally starting to steer it toward obsolescence.
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, G Nex, Razr MAxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwheel View Post
    I'm still on my original D1, bought in Jan. 2010, and running it bone stock no less. I occasionally get the ring issue you describe, as well as the serious screen redraw slowdown - it sometimes takes over 30 seconds for my homescreen icons to appear after closing an app. I've been toying with the idea of rooting, and also eying the RAZR. I almost feel bad looking at new phones, since this one has been such a trouper for me, but I think as stated above that the 256M RAM limitation is finally starting to steer it toward obsolescence.
    Root it and find a good ROM. That redraw issue is one of many reasons I rooted in the first place. Haven't regretted it since!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus - 4.3 - Shiny ROM

Droid Razr Maxx (XT912) - 4.2.2 - Buttered AOKP ROM

OG Droid (retired) - 2.3.7 - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links