DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you turn 3g back on?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

how do you turn 3g back on?

Ok, so I was using wifi on my motorola droid, them turned the wifi off thinking that my phone would automatically re-connect to the 3g network. but it did not, and I could not figure how to turn 3g back on. I had to power cycle the phone to get 3g back.

am I missing something? shouldn't there be an easier way to switch from wifi to 3g?

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Maxx
    The phone automatically switches from 3G to WiFi. Sometimes it seems to get stuck and I need to power cycle the phone to get it working again.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    That sucks. I was really impressed with this phone during the first couple months of having it, but there are so many flaws that I wish I had gone with an iphone.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt & Xoom
    Lol.......

Sometimes a "smartphone" is only as smart as its user.

6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
    The phone automatically switches from 3G to WiFi. Sometimes it seems to get stuck and I need to power cycle the phone to get it working again.
    It's true that the phone designed to move between 3G and WiFi relatively seamlessly. However, the addition of third party software can create conflicts. For example, I use a 3rd party app (Y5-Battery Saver) that controls WiFi access automatically when I'm in range of a known wireless network. I also have an application dock widget on the home screen that allows me to turn WiFi on and off manually (among other settings) and a third app (WiFi OnOff widget) that does the same thing.

I've found that the three apps (and the phone's default operation) sometimes battle with one another for control of WiFi. It's not a major problem and I've not yet figured out precisely the behavior of each app to determine which of the apps to jettison. But it's an object lesson in adding overlapping third party apps.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by struong57 View Post
    That sucks. I was really impressed with this phone during the first couple months of having it, but there are so many flaws that I wish I had gone with an iphone.
    Make sure you don't have any app (or other) issues before you start blaming the device.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I've had this issue as well.

But what really bothers me is my phone likes to get stuck in 1x instead of 3G all the time. I usually first try putting it into Airplane mode, then taking it back out. If that doesn't work, then I will power cycle.

When I first got my phone, it got stuck on 1x for over a week while my boyfriend (who lives with me) had no problems getting 3G. And at that time I really didn't have any apps installed.

And now my Gmail won't sync a lot of the time. It does kinda seem the more I use the phone, the more annoyances pop up. Yes, I love my Droid, but it can be annoying sometimes....
    New Video Game Blog - GeekGods
    Need some comments on my DOFOLLOW blog, please help!
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    If there was a way to figure out which app was conflicting with my 3g connection I would uninstall it in a heart beat. But unfortunately, due to android's open development and motorola choosing to go with that os, I must blame the device.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Has that newly rooted smell...
    Quote Originally Posted by struong57 View Post
    If there was a way to figure out which app was conflicting with my 3g connection I would uninstall it in a heart beat. But unfortunately, due to android's open development and motorola choosing to go with that os, I must blame the device.
    Uninstall all of them, see if problem goes away. Then reinstall them one by one to find out which one is causing the problem. Simple. Done. I'm not sure I see the logic in your statement; because of "Android's open development" and Android operating system, it's the phone's fault one of your apps might be conflicting with your wifi/3G switching? Even if it is a flaw within the phone, the fact that it has an open development platform doesn't really seem to apply and they are continually (well sort of.... stupid 2.1...) coming out with updates to fix bugs and upgrade usability.
    Last edited by ShowTime; 01-29-2010 at 03:09 PM.
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    The open development is a problem because the apps on the android market place are not tested by Google. Which results in software/hardware conflicts. Unlike the apps on the Apple store that must pass QA first before the app can be sold/downloaded.

The android market does not separate apps by devices, so one app may work fine on one android device while constantly crashing on another android device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links