DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I retired my Original Droid. What non-telephone ROMS are out there to repurpose it?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

I retired my Original Droid. What non-telephone ROMS are out there to repurpose it?

What are all of you doing with your retired Droids?

I'd like to keep my old Droid alive to surf the web, host audio/video clips, and perhaps an occasional skype call (although I'm not really sure about that use).

Is there a ROM available that strips out all of the 3G and telephone firmware and leaves a nice clean iPod+websurfing interface?

Thanks in advance!

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Steel Droid is amazing and so fast
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I just checked out the version 9 release notes for Steel Droid.

It seems like a very nice ROM, but it doesn't seem like it is built for a non-telephone style setup. I don't even want the cell phone transceivers to power up since I'm not using the droid as a telephone now that it has been replaced.
  5. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    There aren't any non-telephone ROMs that I've heard of to be honest. You can always use airplane mode. Battery lasts about a week if you have airplane mode on and don't touch it much. Ask me how I know...

Sent from my rooted, ROM'd, and Safestrapped XT862

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Yeah to my knowledge there isn't a rom that is specifically made for a phone that is a glorified media player but like the above post said go into airplane mode and use wifi.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  7. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Twitter
    davros
    Phone
    S4, GNex, Bionic, D3, D1, G1
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Skye and google voice still need service to make calls. You can trick voice into thinking it has service and send texts. Maps is worthless with out wifi or service. I put my two D1's in my drawer next to my G1. They are sleeping now after a hard working over for 2 years.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Ive done some searching for you and this is your best bet its still buggy and in alpha it doesnt have phone access and what not lol here you go ​D1 | T3hH4xx0r
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Many people, including myself, still have the droid1 as there daily driver for many reasons. so developers of roms are still using the phone and put the phone and signal parts in so that the rom is fully functional and has no bugs or missing pieces. Also the droid was designed as a phone and in the event of an emergency even phones without service can place calls to emergency response centers. So finding a rom without phone or messaging capabilities will be hard to do. but here are a few ways to lighten up a fully functioning rom for your needs

Since your droid is rooted you could purchase a copy of root explorer and manually delete the phone and messaging apk from the applications list.
    also in Jamezelles section of the custom roms forum his fro yo sense port does not handle 3g well and only really works with wifi signals.

I recommend the first option with just finding a rom that you find suitable and quick and delete what you find is unnecessary. I always go through and delete car home and other unneeded/unused apps
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    I was also looking for a ROM that was stripped down for a Droid that is now only on Wi-Fi. Was thinking I could use it for streaming music, alarm clock, games, etc. Real basic stuff. Maybe it's too early to start looking for this type of ROM, but I would imagine that within the near future something will come out.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Your best bet is to just use your favorite rom and keep the phone in airplane mode. Like the other guy said, in airplane mode with not much use your phone will last a very long time.

I have my D1 in airplane mode sitting in the desk dock not plugged in and its still @ 85% battery since I retired it on Thursday. It doesn't get any use except as my alarm clock and check email real quick in the morning. Wifi is on.

If you don't want to delete apk's rename them with .bak this way you can add them back if you ever need too.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links