DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formatting without volume buttons (touch screen going crazy)

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1

Formatting without volume buttons (touch screen going crazy)

My droid 1 is acting crazy and I want to try to factory reset it (it's not rooted). Problem is, both my volume buttons on the side are broken. Is there a way to format without using the volume buttons?

And incase anyone has seen this problem before, my screen is going crazy. When I try to use my finger to scroll down a list, half the time the scroll goes wacky and goes up and down really fast. The other half, it doesn't even respond to my finger, just sits there. When I slide out my keyboard to text message, the top notification bar keeps scrolling down by itself without me even touching it. I was going to try a format and see if that fixed anything. Has anyone else seen this before?

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Rooted XT912
    Quote Originally Posted by GST View Post
    My droid 1 is acting crazy and I want to try to factory reset it (it's not rooted). Problem is, both my volume buttons on the side are broken. Is there a way to format without using the volume buttons?

And incase anyone has seen this problem before, my screen is going crazy. When I try to use my finger to scroll down a list, half the time the scroll goes wacky and goes up and down really fast. The other half, it doesn't even respond to my finger, just sits there. When I slide out my keyboard to text message, the top notification bar keeps scrolling down by itself without me even touching it. I was going to try a format and see if that fixed anything. Has anyone else seen this before?
    Don't you just use the keyboard? I briefly had a droid one and I don't think you have to use the volume keys... what you need the volume keys for besides scrolling?

And with the messed up screen it might be something contacting the screen. Usually some kind of moisture. Check to make sure there are no little particles in between the screen edge and the bezzle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    As far as I know, you have to use the side volume buttons to bring up the format window when you turn on the phone. I've tried to google another way, but haven't seen one. If someone here knows a way to go through the format screen when you boot your phone without using the volume buttons, I would greatly appreciate it.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Rooted XT912
    As far as I know, you have to use the side volume buttons to bring up the format window when you turn on the phone. I've tried to google another way, but haven't seen one. If someone here knows a way to go through the format screen when you boot your phone without using the volume buttons, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Try holding x. Turn of phone and push the power button and hold x. I believe this is how I did it. It was a while go. I know x is involved :P just hold x till that screen pops up. And from there you can use the keyboard to scroll

6. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    1036 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Premium Member
    If you're talking about scrolling in recovery, you can use the D-pad to do that.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    If you're talking about scrolling in recovery, you can use the D-pad to do that.
    My problem is I can't get to the recovery window. The shortcut I've googled is holding volume up and the camera button together. Then the screen pops up. Right now I can hold x and have the triangle with the yellow ! come up, but I can't get to the recovery options. I've tried holding dpad up, left, right, and down with the camera button, but none of them work. Is there another way to get there without the volume button?
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    looks like you might have to flash an sbf to get a formatted phone. If the display digitizer is going out then take it to a verizon store and they should be able to ship you a new one if you have an extended warranty. If not contact motorola for a manufacturer's warranty
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Rooted XT912
    My problem is I can't get to the recovery window. The shortcut I've googled is holding volume up and the camera button together. Then the screen pops up. Right now I can hold x and have the triangle with the yellow ! come up, but I can't get to the recovery options. I've tried holding dpad up, left, right, and down with the camera button, but none of them work. Is there another way to get there without the volume button?
    That sucks. I thought the x button would work. Kinda makes me think there might be even something larger wrong. Cause I swore that holding x got you to the options. Isn't there a factory reset in the settings. Have you tried that?

10. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    1036 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Premium Member
    I assumed you were rooted. There is a way to do a factory reset through the phone. Hit the menu button, then Settings/Privacy then Factory reset.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    S4!
    FWIW, my OG is doing some of the same things. It's driving me nuts. It's making phone calls, pressing buttons and making the phone really hard to use. The only solution is turning off the screen. Then I have problems with the slide lock. And, then the phone starts jumping in my hand as the gremlins attempt the slide lock themselves My contract is almost up and this seems like a way to force me to upgrade/renew.

Did you figure anything out GST? I'm going to try a factory reset. I think this all started right around the time the latest "update" came out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links