DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navigation/GPS while Roaming

1. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Question Navigation/GPS while Roaming

So I drove to canada last night and realized that navigation on my Motorola Droid wasn't working.

Has anybody else had an issue with navigation in foreign countries?

I do now that if you go to Settings<Wireless & network settings<mobile networks on your droid, you can make sure the "Data roaming" option is UNchecked so you won't incur roaming data charges. Then you can screen calls and not get charged. And use wifi to send free texts through google voice. I used GPS satellites in Quebec and don't think I will incur charges since my "Data roaming" option was unchecked. But I'll post after I get my verizon bill.

Quick question, do you think GPS satellites uses data? I don't think so.....but I found it so weird that our navigation wouldn't work in Canada, it might be something they're working on.

If you navigate to a final destination from the US to canada, note that the option to "Navigate" doesn't pop up........
    Last edited by droidavie; 01-24-2010 at 10:11 AM.

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    You need cell service for map downloads. Unless you get an app that will cache them for you. The name of it escapes me Athens the moment.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    I'm pretty sure the navigation program is U.S. only.
  5. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    makes sense, thanks a lot

anybody have an app to cache google maps?
    Last edited by droidavie; 01-24-2010 at 10:17 AM.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid

DROID gps use in Canada

just spent a week in Canada using CoPilot for navigation ... requires map batch download, eg for North America ... not cheap but worth it .. when in Canada (or anywhere) the Droid uses GPS while in Airplane Mode to avoid expensive 3g data charges ... if GPS doesn't come up, activate 3g biefly (get out of Airplane Mode briefly), then asa GPS locks in (within a few seconds) go back to Airplane Mode and GPS stays locked in (if Satellites are in view) ... the brief data connection is not needed to download anything, it just is a characteristic of the Motorola Droid unit that it wants to see the Airplane Mode deactivated briefly to make GPS available ... would work on the Moon the same way ... I plan to use this in Europe also ... note that the maps are batch downloaded and not real time updated like the native Droid navigation system ... but is works great, just like a dedicated GPS Navigation unit ...

Question I have: does anyone know if one can turn off the data connection without turning off the phone connectivity or roaming? the Airplane mode turns off both ...
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Slvr (LoL) seriously

Google Nav while roaming?

I'm living in KY and thinking about switching to verizon and getting a droid X from a local cell company called Bluegrass Cellular. We tried a family plan on verizon a couple months ago, but i didn't have a smartphone to test out. Yes, we live in a roaming area for verizon at 1x speeds, but I had service almost everywhere because they let you roam over to other networks which is great. My question is, would I be able to use free Google GPS on the Droid X around here in 1x roaming areas?? It won't let me send multimedia text messages because it always said searching for network (i was trying out a pantech jest). However, i understand Droid phones can allow data roaming. Would this let me send picture msgs and use GPS like normal? I just want to know how much of a disadvantage i would be at living in a verizon roaming area with a Droid X. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    iphone
    lol i have the same issue
    my new love-Droid
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    When I travel into western Maryland, I get in an "Extended Network". When this happens I lose all data service including internet and Maps.

Sucks.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaredman View Post
    When I travel into western Maryland, I get in an "Extended Network". When this happens I lose all data service including internet and Maps.
    I had the same thing happen to me when going to Chattanooga TN. For me I had to go into setting/wireless & networks/Mobile networks and Check Data Roaming (Connect to data services when roaming) I called Verizon to make sure roaming in the U.S. was covered under my unlimited plan. It was covered so I enabled it and everything started to work again. Hope this helps.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Good deal.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links