DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Auto-Correct / Custom Dictionary?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #

Auto-Correct / Custom Dictionary?

With my BlackBerry Storm there was a (I think it was called) a custom dictionary. I was able to type something like "OMW=On My Way" in a text message and it would substitute the words "On My Way" for the letters "OMW"

Is there such a feature for the Droid with your application?

Thank you.

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I have the same question. Did you get any answers?
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    One of those places where we have a lot of sweet tea.
    Phone
    droid 4
    I did not respond just because of my name, and I am unable to direct you to something like that in the market but I have a tip I used to build my dictionary on an old moto phone that I had and likely should dig out and work on importing its dictionary to my droid. I am not a fan of building predictive keyboards, but once built....terrific.......and one of the things I typed all the time was "onmyway" so I just added it to my dictionary together. Why? Because inserting the text took too long. Just a thought...if you use predictive.....and no, I do not have the patience.....
    Some days...you cannot run the show...just go with it. Why? The word mutiny. Because? My mutiny wins when I have had my fill. Today I am likely just going with it....
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus CDMA, OG Droid
    Uber keyboard. Its paid, but it does what your talking about. Also it give you predictions with physical keyboard,

Sync your files online and across computers and your Android with Dropbox. Instant photo uploads and cloud galleries. Share uploaded files with a link or collaborate documents with other Dropbox users. 2GB account is free! http://db.tt/BOgwUVW

I don't have a DX, it's just a name. Made it before the DX existed,oops
    !
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by onmyway View Post
    I did not respond just because of my name, and I am unable to direct you to something like that in the market but I have a tip I used to build my dictionary on an old moto phone that I had and likely should dig out and work on importing its dictionary to my droid. I am not a fan of building predictive keyboards, but once built....terrific.......and one of the things I typed all the time was "onmyway" so I just added it to my dictionary together. Why? Because inserting the text took too long. Just a thought...if you use predictive.....and no, I do not have the patience.....

Ummm....you never said "how" to build this on a Droid.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 4
    Sorry. Under settings, under language & keyboard settings,user dictionary. That is how you locate your dictionary to add or delete words added on the droid.
    Some days...you cannot run the show...just go with it. Why? The word mutiny. Because? My mutiny wins when I have had my fill. Today I am likely just going with it....
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thanks. So what I get from this is that I can create a shortcut of sorts as long as it's one word. There is no way to substitute, like typing "hig" and getting "how's it going" like you can on a BlackBerry, right?
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 4
    I would have hoped if there was someone would have mentioned it by now. There is a thread for designing applications you want that you could make a request for it there.

Uber keyboard was previously mentioned--I am not familiar with it. I feel your pain wanting the shortcuts. I was a court reporting student when I was younger and was a lot of short keyboard phrases that nobody else understood for a long time until everyone started catching on to texting. Omw-On-my-way saved me from translating later too. The thread? Likely found searching threads with keywords of apps you want.

Links