DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Droid Technical Issue Summary

1. Senior Droid
    Member #

Droid Technical Issue Summary

Here is a quick summary of some of the technical issues that are related to the Droid:

1) No Voice and Data at the same time

If this is a deal breaker for you, then not only is this phone not for you but Version is not for you. Work-around: If WiFi is available (like at you favorite Mc Restaurant) data can use it while you are on a voice call.

2) No Voice Dialing through Bluetooth

Apparently you have to voice dial Through the Droid mic and then push the bluetooth "button" on the phone

3) No dedicated call and end hard buttons on the phone

This is something we will have to get used to. Personally, i will give up my dedicated buttons for a larger screen.

4) No "Pinch-Zoom"

This was not implemented in the browser, yet. The speculation is that the powers that be did not want to run into Apple's legal caims surrounding the name and or use of that gesture. <I am sure that this will be resolved, soon>

5) Slide out Keyboard

Some people hate it and some don't. It is something we will have to get used to, I guess

6) Not a "world" phone

This phone is a CDMA only phone, no GSM.

Are there others? Sure there are. I wanted to quickly summarize what we have learned.

Hope this helps

3. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Premium Member
    Good Summary, we will be sure to add more in this thread. the Non GSM is kind of a pain as I travel out of country quite a bit but will keep two phones for now to switch between.

I'm hoping that I really like the keyboard as that is a must for me.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    nice points. the only thing i would disagree with is the lack of GSM being a negative.. verizon's roaming charges are simply astronomical in other countries. it is cheaper to buy a prepaid phone across the pond than to pay what verizon charges. it IS however, a negative to business users who MUST have the same device...

thanks for the write-up, and welcome to the machine!
    -Respect is rule #1
    -Email us at DroidForumPromo@gmail to become a Supporting Vendor.
    -Not around as often as I used to be... Still, feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with!
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDroid View Post
    Good Summary, we will be sure to add more in this thread. the Non GSM is kind of a pain as I travel out of country quite a bit but will keep two phones for now to switch between.

I'm hoping that I really like the keyboard as that is a must for me.
    same for me with the keyboard. we get a gsm from verizon when we travel and with the droid having wifi, i'll be able to get email when in europe.
    ebean

a die-hard palm addict moving to droid. help me hold on!

http://beanygetsablog.wordpress.com/
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwd45244 View Post
    Here is a quick summary of some of the technical issues that are related to the Droid:

1) No Voice and Data at the same time

If this is a deal breaker for you, then not only is this phone not for you but Version is not for you. Work-around: If WiFi is available (like at you favorite Mc Restaurant) data can use it while you are on a voice call.

2) No Voice Dialing through Bluetooth

Apparently you have to voice dial Through the Droid mic and then push the bluetooth "button" on the phone

3) No dedicated call and end hard buttons on the phone

This is something we will have to get used to. Personally, i will give up my dedicated buttons for a larger screen.

4) No "Pinch-Zoom"

This was not implemented in the browser, yet. The speculation is that the powers that be did not want to run into Apple's legal caims surrounding the name and or use of that gesture. <I am sure that this will be resolved, soon>

5) Slide out Keyboard

Some people hate it and some don't. It is something we will have to get used to, I guess

6) Not a "world" phone

This phone is a CDMA only phone, no GSM.

Are there others? Sure there are. I wanted to quickly summarize what we have learned.

Hope this helps
    1st. It's nice to see you over here too . the biggest negative for some is no GSM. The ther stuff you'll/i learn how to use it the way you can. It's not like my Storm doesn't have it's own issues . As ar as voice dialing and bluettooth. It barely orks on the storm either and it is an included function
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    I'm not a huge fan of voice dialing, because most of the time it never works that good and then when it does you still have to confirm that's the number you wanted to dial like 2-3 times. No GSM, i'm ok with because i will rarely leave this country. No Voice and Data at the same time is ok, I don't do it now and i've lived this long so.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  8. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    no cdma can do voice and data at the same time BUT with the added wi-fi the end user is good to go as the OP pointed out. So that is a non-issue...
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    no cdma can do voice and data at the same time BUT with the added wi-fi the end user is good to go as the OP pointed out. So that is a non-issue...

Yep. All good for me on that. WIFI at work and home and most places I go.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Will I have issues using my SYNC feature on my Ford Flex. I voice dial from SYNC all the time and hope that my phone music and phone can be used with it. Anyone see potential problems?
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by moparharn View Post
    Will I have issues using my SYNC feature on my Ford Flex. I voice dial from SYNC all the time and hope that my phone music and phone can be used with it. Anyone see potential problems?

Based upon a quick look on google search, SYNC uses Bluetooth. As I listed, Voice dialing via Bluetooth is not supported. You can voice dial using the Droid mic and continue the call via bluetooth.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links