DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Droid touchscreen going crazy

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTOROLA DROID 2

Exclamation Droid touchscreen going crazy

I have a first generation Motorola Droid thru Verizon that I have absolutely loved up until now. As of a day or two ago though when I power it up, the touchscreen is often sluggish and/or unresponsive. It also now opens up apps and presses commands I did not initiate, along with rapidly zooming in and out and making the screen shaky.

This is super-annoying. I took it to my local Verizon store and they were clueless and said I'd have to send it in. I need the phone to WORK NOW.

I ordered a CPOed droid 2 that will arrive in 2-3 days, but until then what can I do to get this thing to work??

I have tried taking the battery out and restarting repeatedly. I have checked for sticky keys on the keypad- I am at wit's end.

Any brilliant trouble-shooting ideas?

This thing is acting like it's possessed and I have come to depend on it for my work e-mail, calendar, alarms, phone, music, e-reader, etc, etc. Ugh...

Thanks in advance!
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Have you tried a Factory Hard Reset?

With your Motorola Droid still powered "Off," slide open the keyboard.
    Press and hold the "X" button on the keyboard while pressing the "Power/Unlock" button, located next to the 3.5mm headphone jack. Continue holding down the buttons until a yellow triangle "Warning Sign" appears on the screen.
    Once the yellow warning sign appears, press the physical "Volume UP" and "Camera" buttons simultaneously until a new menu appears. This may take several attempts before success.
    From the new menu that appears on-screen, go down to the "wipe data/factory reset" option using the Directional-Pad next to the keyboard, and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad to confirm.
    Scroll down to the "Yes -- delete all user data" and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad once more. That's it! When your Motorola Droid is done wiping all saved applications, information, and settings, your device will be back to the factory settings.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid
    Both my brother and I have had this issue, take it back if under warranty, your not going to fix it. When I took mine in, the Verizon rep tried to fix it and just gave up, gave me another right there.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTOROLA DROID 2

Question

If I do this "factory hard reset" I will lose all my apps, data and contacts though right? I want to try to save those if I can. How about all the music and media? I have over 1000 music tracks, lots of photos and videos I want to try to save.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post
    Have you tried a Factory Hard Reset?

With your Motorola Droid still powered "Off," slide open the keyboard.
    Press and hold the "X" button on the keyboard while pressing the "Power/Unlock" button, located next to the 3.5mm headphone jack. Continue holding down the buttons until a yellow triangle "Warning Sign" appears on the screen.
    Once the yellow warning sign appears, press the physical "Volume UP" and "Camera" buttons simultaneously until a new menu appears. This may take several attempts before success.
    From the new menu that appears on-screen, go down to the "wipe data/factory reset" option using the Directional-Pad next to the keyboard, and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad to confirm.
    Scroll down to the "Yes -- delete all user data" and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad once more. That's it! When your Motorola Droid is done wiping all saved applications, information, and settings, your device will be back to the factory settings.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by peacemover View Post
    If I do this "factory hard reset" I will lose all my apps, data and contacts though right? I want to try to save those if I can. How about all the music and media? I have over 1000 music tracks, lots of photos and videos I want to try to save.
    Stuff on the sdcard will not be affected. As to the apps, go into menu/settings/privacy/ and check Backup My Data and Auto Restore. I've always had my apps reinstalled automatically. Occasionally one or two will be missed, but often.

BTW, I was merely suggesting the reset as something to try. I do not really think it is going to fix your phone. But it's worth a try. I think your proximity sensor is failing.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTOROLA DROID 2
    Okay. I can use the device intermittently so I guess that is just going to have to be good enough until my droid 2 arrives. Hopefully the fact that I ordered a certified pre-owned droid 2 will not be a problem. I didn't think it was worth an extra $150 to get a brand new one, when they guarantee these CPOs. I hope this is a good decision.

I think I may also try to connect it to my laptop when I get home and upload all my music tracks, media files and documents, etc.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    I've had a few through the years and have never had a problem. It is a pain to have deal with replacements though. But, you do what you have to do!!
    Baton Rouge, LA

Links