DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is wrong with the GPS?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Angry what is wrong with the GPS?

I see everyone has been talking about how wonderful the Droid GPS is. However, I am kinda pissed off by this Moto Droid GPS... I think the google map is fine, but why this Droid GPS always asks me to take a different (obviously wrong )direction/road in certain areas that I am family with? This area is not new and even my old Garmin Nuvi350 with 2004 map source can show the correct direction. Anyone has an idea? thanks! Merry X-mas!

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ya. Mine does the same. It eventually gets me there, but it's not the most direct or easiest route. I'm not sure what it's thinking.

Sorry I can't help you more.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I probably depends on where you are. I live in PA and I was surprised that the Google Navigation actually finds the "local" routes, (non Interstates). more than my Garmin Nuvi did.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I live in PA, too. It was finding local routes, but I didn't think the local route it was giving me was that good. It was really odd.

Oh, and on a side note, I was driving through Butler and it wanted me to take the exit towards 'Butter.' I found this hilarious!
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    It must have something to do with it being beta, working with maps.google and translating it into a google navigation.. something something...

the same thing happened to me recently, where it wanted to take me past the destination (the long way around). when i turned the "right" (short) way, it tried to revert me back to its directions.

remember that navigation is still in beta, and the first time that you start it up, the agreement clearly states that not all directions may be accurate.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Sometimes I am unable to get the GPS signal. It says, "locating GPS" or something like that. Also, during navigation I will lose the GPS signal sometimes. I live in the city too...
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I just tried to get directions from maps.google.com, which are exactly the same as I got from this Moto Droid GPS. I tried mapquest, obviously, it gives me the correct routes which are the same as what i can get via my old Garmin... Therefore, I assume it is not a problem from satellite signal. How come the so-said "amazing google map" can not beat mapquest for this specific area?
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Doid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by 640k View Post
    It must have something to do with it being beta, working with maps.google and translating it into a google navigation.. something something...

the same thing happened to me recently, where it wanted to take me past the destination (the long way around). when i turned the "right" (short) way, it tried to revert me back to its directions.

remember that navigation is still in beta, and the first time that you start it up, the agreement clearly states that not all directions may be accurate.
    Pretty much ALL Google software is beta. Sorry, everyone wants to give them a pass for this. Gmail has been a beta version since it was released YEARS ago.

Not to mention they use this as a MAJOR selling point for the phone and their OS.

They have issues with their mapping algorithms. They have for years. They need to fix them. They have not for years.

With that said, I love my Droid and I love Maps. Just wish they'd fix it.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola RAZOR MAXX
    I have not found a nav gps that is correct where I live. We have tried GM (OnStar), TomTom, Garmin and Google. NONE of them are correct. I have been told that there are only two companies in the U.S. and they supply the mapping info to all the GPS companies. They both have my area (Southern Utah) wrong.
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links