DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: I'm gonna need a lot of help here.

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

I'm gonna need a lot of help here.

Just got the Moto Droid yesterday and it's a lot of technology in a very small package. Disappointed a bit in the information available from Verizon and Moto about the phone. Seems to have limitless capability but you wouldn't know it looking at the on-line manual. At the Verizon store they told me "you just have to play with it to learn what it will do". My last phone had no features at all so I have a lot to learn. Learned more last night in a few minutes from my grandson than I did in reading the manual from cover to cover. I'm hoping for a lot of help from the folks on this forum. Thanks for the opportunity to join you.

Pop

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    theres 3 things you need to know to get the hang of android

1. you must know how to read and be willing to read (if this was followed by everyone, the world would be a better place)
    2. theres an application called Market
    3. theres different input methods for the touchscreen. ie. tap, long tap, double tap, swipe, etc. each app is different

so the market is where you get all your apps. each app does its own thing its own way. cant really school you on all the apps but a good place to go for help would be the comment section of the market for said app and then the apps website which you can also find in the market. you could email the developer as a last resort if you cannot find answers yourself or if you want to pitch them a suggestion. some devs even leave there phone number so you can give them a ring.

as for the stock apps on your phone. im sure the manual the phone came with has information on that, im not sure i never opened it

even though it sounds like the verizon rep wanted to get you off his hands, he was right, the best way to learn it to play around it yourself

hope you love your droid as much as i do
    Last edited by pandroid; 12-20-2009 at 03:47 PM.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Best thing to know -- be patient with yourself! Like you said, the Droid is a lot of technology in a small package. Everyone learns at a different rate, so don't be too hard on yourself if you don't "get it" right away. Especially if you're coming from an older-style cell phone. The Droid has a LOT of features -- heck, I've had mine for 6 weeks now, and I'm STILL discovering stuff that I didn't know about.

Read through these forums; see what questions others have asked; read the answers they got to their questions. You'll learn a great deal that way. And if you have a specific question that you can't find the answer to, go ahead and ask -- I'm sure someone will be happy to answer you.

Enjoy your new Droid!
    Laurence MacNeill
    Mableton, Georgia, USA
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    found some quick reading for you, mostly in the FAQ section.. hope this helps! if not, please ask questions, that's what we are here for.
    and by the way, "you just have to play with it to learn what it will do" should be translated as "i'm too lazy to help you, i only get paid to sell phones and plans"... sorry you encountered that.

Motorola Droid Ultra FAQ from "ChrisK15"
    DROID - Touchscreen
    Droid FAQ - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    -Respect is rule #1
    -Email us at DroidForumPromo@gmail to become a Supporting Vendor.
    -Not around as often as I used to be... Still, feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with!
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Eris - Verizon
    Hey, Pop!

I just found this article today - very helpful:
    Master Google Android: 40 Tips and Tricks
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks for the replies. I'm finding loads of information in the references you've provided and at other areas in the forum. I'm convinced I made the right choice geting the Droid vs the iPhone.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    You'll soon be showing your grandson what it can do. Enjoy your time here with your Droid.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Honestly before you start messing around with the market just navigate your phone first see what works for you. Play with some of the settings change preferences, learn how to get around the basic system first. Then go onto market check out reviews from the board on programs/apps and go from there... that's pretty much what I did. This is a lot of technology at your finger tips, learn your basics and then start looking into apps, it gives you a better understanding of your phone.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    I've had my Droid since launch day and I'm still discovering stuff. I have "learned" that most of th thigns that don't seem to work or work right are caused by pilot error - I just don't understand how to use them. The nice thing is that you can't hurt a lot, so try things and play around.The long tap and the menu bar at the bottom of the screen seem to be the two most important things to try when you can't seem to get something to work - there's usually an option at one of those two places that you just didn't know was there. Good luck. I remain confident that the Droid environment is just going to get better over time and that I'll enventually figure out how to make the most of it.

Norm

Links