DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoothness of home menu?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X2

Smoothness of home menu?

My friend pointed this out and now I can't unsee it. Why is it that on a dual-core phone such as my X2 the home screen transitions when you slide left and right are super laggy and choppy, while on his phone (I forgot what type, it decently old though) and pretty much everyone else's phone I've looked at they're smooth as butter?

Is there some configuration I did wrong? Is something using up a lot of processing power in the background? My phone is rooted, but without the supercharger script (not sure if it works with 2.3.4 rooted on an X2). I'm not using a live wallpaper.

Something is definitely wrong here.

3. Droid X Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    X, neXus
    Premium Member
    what launcher are you using? you can try using another launcher... i personally use adw.. but there is also go launcher and there are alot more
    We have nothing to fear but running out of beer
    Dont mind me... i'm just falling...
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I doubt its a dual-core issue, per se; since my Bionic seems to have smooth transitions.

Probably something specific to the version of MotoBlur running on the DX2.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo Aeternamn View Post
    what launcher are you using? you can try using another launcher... i personally use adw.. but there is also go launcher and there are alot more
    Stock launcher. I'll try adw and see how it goes.

My friend I just talked to suggested I use Titanium Backup and do a factory reset. I'll try adw first though.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X2
    I would recommend LauncherPro, because it's awesome and you never have to pay for it. It's no longer under active development, but that's nitpicky.
    Anyhow, I can't speak to the homescreen transition issue. I run a single homescreen with power control widget and app shortcuts only. LP is one of the few that actually supports this kind of configuration.

Obviously, if you run a ton of widgets and your friend didn't, that's a big factor. There may even be one single widget causing your sluggish swiping.

A factory reset seems kind of drastic for this issue.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X2
    ADW fixed pretty much all my issues

I even downloaded the Mimimalist theme and am having a lot of fun with it.

I guess it was just a Moto Blur issue because for a while I was using all the same widgets with the ADW default theme and it was running fine

Thanks for the suggestions guys
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    Tweaking the build.prop file (ROM toolbox has one inside of it) and upping the max events per second (mine is at 100 compared to 55) can help

Sent from my ApeX-ed, Overclocked, and Automated DROID 2
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X2
    My X2's screen transition is smooth as butter. I've gone through about 5 X2 replacements cuz of defects on each one. This last one however looks like its barely been used. No wear on the hard keys no scratches from screen to camera and the inside back looks as though the last owner barely if ever did battery pulls. I cleared the cache twice and did a FR in android recovery. I then flashed the latest sbf 2.3.4 and it's been beautiful since.

Sent from my DROID X2
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    I've been a fan of the X2 since I got it, and each update has made it better and better. The lagging screen transitions always bothered me; more of an annoyance. After reading this thread I decided to give a launcher a try. I tried Launcher Pro first and it was OK... but you really had to buy it in order to unlock it's potential. I did a search in google and found a review on 4 different launchers (including Launcher Pro). I wound up installing Go Launcher EX (it's free, though themes aren't). And OMG I love it! The transitions are super smooth, and the options are great. I spent a bit of time sorting out what I like/don't etc (but we techy types love an excuse to mess with our phones).

I'm convinced the laggy stuff we see is blur, and not the hardware. The phone is much more snappy, and battery life is just fine (8 hours into today with moderate use and I'm still at 70%). If you aren't a fan of blur, then try a different launcher.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Well for one, even though the X2 has a dual core processor it only gas 512 mb of ram whereas the bionic and almost all newer android phones have 1GB and more, and two GB in its stock state is not very efficient. If you are rooted or know anything about root I would suggest rooting and flashing a custom rom like eclipse, it is infinitely more efficient, smoother and snappier than stock GB. As for ADW and GoLauncher, from what I've read and heard from people who have used it, I would not suggest using them, they suck up battery life and since stock GB itself uses a lot more battery than it should this may not be a good idea.

SBF'd (sent blazingly fast) from my Hulkified X2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links