DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Ok, I need help figuring out what's going on with my X2

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Ok, I need help figuring out what's going on with my X2

First off, lately it's been not turning the backlight on when I try to use it. I can hold it up to a light and see that the screen is on, but the light doesn't turn on. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, probably around 30% or so. I can't tell if it's softare related or hardware related, if I push the power button a ton of times I can get it to turn on.

Next issue is that last update that was put out. I had my phone rooted and apps frozen and whatnot, but I wasn't thinking and went ahead with the OTA update. I was reading that a lot of people had this break their root, but mine seemed intact because I still had the SuperUser icon, I can still do a nandroid backup etc. Then I tried to go into TitaniumBackup and it told me it can't give root access to the app. I went into BusyBox and it too told me that it couldn't gain root access, and to go into SuperUser and disable/re-enable it. I tried that and it did nothing.

I guess what I'm asking about the root issue is what would cause this, and am I truly rooted? My screenshot app still works, I can make nandoid backups, so I would say it is rooted, but why did my other stuff stop being able to gain root?
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    First off, lately it's been not turning the backlight on when I try to use it. I can hold it up to a light and see that the screen is on, but the light doesn't turn on. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, probably around 30% or so. I can't tell if it's softare related or hardware related, if I push the power button a ton of times I can get it to turn on.

Next issue is that last update that was put out. I had my phone rooted and apps frozen and whatnot, but I wasn't thinking and went ahead with the OTA update. I was reading that a lot of people had this break their root, but mine seemed intact because I still had the SuperUser icon, I can still do a nandroid backup etc. Then I tried to go into TitaniumBackup and it told me it can't give root access to the app. I went into BusyBox and it too told me that it couldn't gain root access, and to go into SuperUser and disable/re-enable it. I tried that and it did nothing.

I guess what I'm asking about the root issue is what would cause this, and am I truly rooted? My screenshot app still works, I can make nandoid backups, so I would say it is rooted, but why did my other stuff stop being able to gain root?
    The backlight thing might be a hardware issue with your light sensor. You might have to exchange your phone for a new one if it is. As for the root stuff, I would just SBF the 2.3.4 update onto your phone and start fresh. Sounds like you messed a lot of stuff up by accepting the OTA update before you prepared yourself.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcapwn89 View Post
    The backlight thing might be a hardware issue with your light sensor. You might have to exchange your phone for a new one if it is. As for the root stuff, I would just SBF the 2.3.4 update onto your phone and start fresh. Sounds like you messed a lot of stuff up by accepting the OTA update before you prepared yourself.
    What is involved in SBFing? I know about rooting but never really looked at SBFs that closely. I'm assuming I can't do a nandroid backup otherwise I'm going to put messed up stuff back on there, aren't I?
  4. ELH
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X2
    If you're using an aftermarket case, pull it off and see if the backlight issue resolves. Many of them interfere with the proximity sensor.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    It's a faulty screen. No sensor problem would cause the screen to display without a backlight. The proximity sensor turns the screen off completely other wise your face to still activate your darkened sscreen which would defeat the purpose of the sensor.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by nlinecomputers View Post
    It's a faulty screen. No sensor problem would cause the screen to display without a backlight. The proximity sensor turns the screen off completely other wise your face to still activate your darkened sscreen which would defeat the purpose of the sensor.
    The proximity/light sensor is also used to automatically adjust the level of light your backlight outputs. So yes, it could be the sensor.

And SBF is just a fancy way of saying wiping out everything on your phone and installing the latest version of the stock OS. It's kinda like reformatting your PC. Check out the link below:

[updated][how-to] sbf tutorial [how-to][updated] - xda-developers
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    I would try a factory reset first.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcapwn89 View Post
    The proximity/light sensor is also used to automatically adjust the level of light your backlight outputs. So yes, it could be the sensor.

And SBF is just a fancy way of saying wiping out everything on your phone and installing the latest version of the stock OS. It's kinda like reformatting your PC. Check out the link below:

[updated][how-to] sbf tutorial [how-to][updated] - xda-developers
    Seems simple enough, but how do I go about backing everything up? A full nandroid backup seems like I'd just put the jacked up files back on, a simple backup won't keep everything, and I can't run TiBackup because it's not detecting root. I just want my apps, pictures, and texts.

Links