DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Is this normal? Anyone not having this problem?

  1. Master Droid
    kingsway8605's Avatar
    Member #
    79936
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    478
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnytheK View Post

    Huh? After all the apps I've installed I've still got 2.5 GB free with 1.3 GB of it is for app storage. Is this not RAM?

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    No. You are talking about flash memory. I am talking about RAM (random access memory). RAM is just as important as processing speed. The term in the industry is called "bottlenecking." Usually bottlenecking happens because of a slow hard drive, but in this case it is happening because of insufficient RAM. Dual core processors and high end graphics cards require higher RAM. The tablets that use dual core have 1gb of RAM. The X2 only has 512mb of RAM. A fast processor is useless if the phone can't remember what it just "processed."

    If you have ever seen the movie "Momento" it is kind of like that. If you haven't seen Momento, watch it now!!!! I am sure it is available on the blockbuster app you can't uninstall.

    Yeah noooooo. RAM is generally the last issue when it comes to bottle necking. First the thing generally being the CPU not being able to keep up w/ GPU's etc. Honestly the hardware in this phone is fine, and will be for 1-2 years etc. The issue here is the craptacular wonder we know as Blur. Pznerd. But tbh I have zero speed issues w/ X2 and its loaded w/ widgets etc.
    Not trying to start a flame war so this is my last post on this issue, but ram can absolutely be a bottleneck. A bottleneck is simply one piece of hardware slowing down the powerful hardware.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
  2. Master Droid
    Zetsumei's Avatar
    Member #
    54981
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cross Fiyahhhhhhh!
    Posts
    342
    Phone
    Droid X2
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post

    No. You are talking about flash memory. I am talking about RAM (random access memory). RAM is just as important as processing speed. The term in the industry is called "bottlenecking." Usually bottlenecking happens because of a slow hard drive, but in this case it is happening because of insufficient RAM. Dual core processors and high end graphics cards require higher RAM. The tablets that use dual core have 1gb of RAM. The X2 only has 512mb of RAM. A fast processor is useless if the phone can't remember what it just "processed."

    If you have ever seen the movie "Momento" it is kind of like that. If you haven't seen Momento, watch it now!!!! I am sure it is available on the blockbuster app you can't uninstall.

    Yeah noooooo. RAM is generally the last issue when it comes to bottle necking. First the thing generally being the CPU not being able to keep up w/ GPU's etc. Honestly the hardware in this phone is fine, and will be for 1-2 years etc. The issue here is the craptacular wonder we know as Blur. Pznerd. But tbh I have zero speed issues w/ X2 and its loaded w/ widgets etc.
    Not trying to start a flame war so this is my last post on this issue, but ram can absolutely be a bottleneck. A bottleneck is simply one piece of hardware slowing down the powerful hardware.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    RAM is rarely a bottle neck anymore, even on modern PC's unless you're running vista with 1-2 GB. Most users use 4GB some 6-8, I personally have 8GB on my system and never get anywyere near it. If you understood how the Android OS works you'd understand that RAM isn't bottle necking this phone. Hell even if the OG droid can use GB and it only has 256 MB of RAM and work just fine, there is no reason that the X2 with half a gig cannot plow through froyo and GB.

    Also if you understand how the Android OS works with memory management, you'd also understand RAM is on the bottom of the list for hardware bottlenecks on phones. It keeps the apps you access the most in the RAM, so if you access it again it'll bring that app up quickly. If you need to open another APP and theres not much RAM left, the OS closes the Apps that aren't being used freeing up the memory etc. If you're using a task manager to kill apps you're disrupting that process and that can cause performance hits. There are tons of articles on why RAM isn't an issue w/ the Android OS for this very reason.

    I'm not trying to flame or anything, just trying to have a constructive conversation. We each have our own opinions, and I respect your point of view and statement.
    Dat device history: Droid 1 , Droid 2 , Thunderbolt , Droid Charge, Droid x2 (current).
  3. Master Droid
    kingsway8605's Avatar
    Member #
    79936
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    478
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post


    Yeah noooooo. RAM is generally the last issue when it comes to bottle necking. First the thing generally being the CPU not being able to keep up w/ GPU's etc. Honestly the hardware in this phone is fine, and will be for 1-2 years etc. The issue here is the craptacular wonder we know as Blur. Pznerd. But tbh I have zero speed issues w/ X2 and its loaded w/ widgets etc.
    Not trying to start a flame war so this is my last post on this issue, but ram can absolutely be a bottleneck. A bottleneck is simply one piece of hardware slowing down the powerful hardware.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    RAM is rarely a bottle neck anymore, even on modern PC's unless you're running vista with 1-2 GB. Most users use 4GB some 6-8, I personally have 8GB on my system and never get anywyere near it. If you understood how the Android OS works you'd understand that RAM isn't bottle necking this phone. Hell even if the OG droid can use GB and it only has 256 MB of RAM and work just fine, there is no reason that the X2 with half a gig cannot plow through froyo and GB.

    Also if you understand how the Android OS works with memory management, you'd also understand RAM is on the bottom of the list for hardware bottlenecks on phones. It keeps the apps you access the most in the RAM, so if you access it again it'll bring that app up quickly. If you need to open another APP and theres not much RAM left, the OS closes the Apps that aren't being used freeing up the memory etc. If you're using a task manager to kill apps you're disrupting that process and that can cause performance hits. There are tons of articles on why RAM isn't an issue w/ the Android OS for this very reason.

    I'm not trying to flame or anything, just trying to have a constructive conversation. We each have our own opinions, and I respect your point of view and statement.
    You are just flat out wrong. There isn't enough available RAM that the second you try to multitasking it wants to kill the app you are using.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
  4. Master Droid
    Zetsumei's Avatar
    Member #
    54981
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cross Fiyahhhhhhh!
    Posts
    342
    Phone
    Droid X2
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post

    Not trying to start a flame war so this is my last post on this issue, but ram can absolutely be a bottleneck. A bottleneck is simply one piece of hardware slowing down the powerful hardware.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    RAM is rarely a bottle neck anymore, even on modern PC's unless you're running vista with 1-2 GB. Most users use 4GB some 6-8, I personally have 8GB on my system and never get anywyere near it. If you understood how the Android OS works you'd understand that RAM isn't bottle necking this phone. Hell even if the OG droid can use GB and it only has 256 MB of RAM and work just fine, there is no reason that the X2 with half a gig cannot plow through froyo and GB.

    Also if you understand how the Android OS works with memory management, you'd also understand RAM is on the bottom of the list for hardware bottlenecks on phones. It keeps the apps you access the most in the RAM, so if you access it again it'll bring that app up quickly. If you need to open another APP and theres not much RAM left, the OS closes the Apps that aren't being used freeing up the memory etc. If you're using a task manager to kill apps you're disrupting that process and that can cause performance hits. There are tons of articles on why RAM isn't an issue w/ the Android OS for this very reason.

    I'm not trying to flame or anything, just trying to have a constructive conversation. We each have our own opinions, and I respect your point of view and statement.
    You are just flat out wrong. There isn't enough available RAM that the second you try to multitasking it wants to kill the app you are using.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    Rofl. Okay bro if you even read what I typed out you wouldn't of said that. Even when you multitask the android OS will still close down the app that isn't active and is running in the back round. On Froyo and above I have yet to see people have apps FC cause of "low RAM" my friend at work is a perfect example. He has only has a 1/2 gig as well and he launches app after app after app, and everything runs fine on his phone. No FC's no real slow down, like I said if you know how the Android OS manages memory, you would know its not a bottle neck. <--- banana for you enjoy.

    Edit: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/02...dont-need-one/ Enjoy.
    That is a small article basically stating the same thing I have been.
    Last edited by Zetsumei; 06-10-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Dat device history: Droid 1 , Droid 2 , Thunderbolt , Droid Charge, Droid x2 (current).
  5. Master Droid
    kingsway8605's Avatar
    Member #
    79936
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    478
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post

    RAM is rarely a bottle neck anymore, even on modern PC's unless you're running vista with 1-2 GB. Most users use 4GB some 6-8, I personally have 8GB on my system and never get anywyere near it. If you understood how the Android OS works you'd understand that RAM isn't bottle necking this phone. Hell even if the OG droid can use GB and it only has 256 MB of RAM and work just fine, there is no reason that the X2 with half a gig cannot plow through froyo and GB.

    Also if you understand how the Android OS works with memory management, you'd also understand RAM is on the bottom of the list for hardware bottlenecks on phones. It keeps the apps you access the most in the RAM, so if you access it again it'll bring that app up quickly. If you need to open another APP and theres not much RAM left, the OS closes the Apps that aren't being used freeing up the memory etc. If you're using a task manager to kill apps you're disrupting that process and that can cause performance hits. There are tons of articles on why RAM isn't an issue w/ the Android OS for this very reason.

    I'm not trying to flame or anything, just trying to have a constructive conversation. We each have our own opinions, and I respect your point of view and statement.
    You are just flat out wrong. There isn't enough available RAM that the second you try to multitasking it wants to kill the app you are using.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    Rofl. Okay bro if you even read what I typed out you wouldn't of said that. Even when you multitask the android OS will still close down the app that isn't active and is running in the back round. On Froyo and above I have yet to see people have apps FC cause of "low RAM" my friend at work is a perfect example. He has only has a 1/2 gig as well and he launches app after app after app, and everything runs fine on his phone. No FC's no real slow down, like I said if you know how the Android OS manages memory, you would know its not a bottle neck. <--- banana for you enjoy.

    Edit: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/02...dont-need-one/ Enjoy.
    That is a small article basically stating the same thing I have been.
    Say you listening to music and browsing the web. The browser is the foreground app so if android needs RAM it will close the music app if there is nothing left to close. The reason 512gb is enough on single core phones and not dual core OS because more RAM has to be dedicated to the dual core processor and is not accessible by the OS. This is why you are seeing tablets with 1gb of RAM even though that much RAM is extremely taxing on the relatively small batteries. Can't really be any clearer than this. By the way, I am an electrical engineer who designs these things for a living.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
  6. Master Droid
    Zetsumei's Avatar
    Member #
    54981
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cross Fiyahhhhhhh!
    Posts
    342
    Phone
    Droid X2
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post

    You are just flat out wrong. There isn't enough available RAM that the second you try to multitasking it wants to kill the app you are using.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    Rofl. Okay bro if you even read what I typed out you wouldn't of said that. Even when you multitask the android OS will still close down the app that isn't active and is running in the back round. On Froyo and above I have yet to see people have apps FC cause of "low RAM" my friend at work is a perfect example. He has only has a 1/2 gig as well and he launches app after app after app, and everything runs fine on his phone. No FC's no real slow down, like I said if you know how the Android OS manages memory, you would know its not a bottle neck. <--- banana for you enjoy.

    Edit: Revisiting Android Task Killers and Why You Still Don’t Need One… - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog Enjoy.
    That is a small article basically stating the same thing I have been.
    Say you listening to music and browsing the web. The browser is the foreground app so if android needs RAM it will close the music app if there is nothing left to close. The reason 512gb is enough on single core phones and not dual core OS because more RAM has to be dedicated to the dual core processor and is not accessible by the OS. This is why you are seeing tablets with 1gb of RAM even though that much RAM is extremely taxing on the relatively small batteries. Can't really be any clearer than this. By the way, I am an electrical engineer who designs these things for a living.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    Good for you bro. I do everything you're stating in your above statement at the same time. Surfing web listening to music and I've never had any FC's. I'm happy w/ the performance I get from this phone, and see no reason for anything over half a gig of RAM for the time being. Yes when the software advances, then more RAM probably will be needed. But for the time being 512 is more than enough. Ofc tablets will have more seeing that people tend to do more at once on a tablet ie more workspace than their phone. Remember the keypoint smartphone = phone in the end. Manufacturers are obviously still producing their devices with only half a gig of RAM? Why? Because it works, that + battery savings in a world where battery tech is far behind. I have never had a single FC and I'm very demanding on my phone, I run app after app while surfing, while streaming pandora, and have never seen any slow down. RAM generally is the last thing when it comes to bottle necking with the Android OS.
    Dat device history: Droid 1 , Droid 2 , Thunderbolt , Droid Charge, Droid x2 (current).
  7. Droid Ninja
    JohnnytheK's Avatar
    Member #
    99673
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,342
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Droid X2
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnytheK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post
    Number 2 a lot of people are experiencing. We think it is related to RAM. After all the blur and bloat, the x2 barely has more ram than the d1

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Huh? After all the apps I've installed I've still got 2.5 GB free with 1.3 GB of it is for app storage. Is this not RAM?

    Oh if I read the last few posts I wouldn't have asked, sorry carry on.


    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    No. You are talking about flash memory. I am talking about RAM (random access memory). RAM is just as important as processing speed. The term in the industry is called "bottlenecking." Usually bottlenecking happens because of a slow hard drive, but in this case it is happening because of insufficient RAM. Dual core processors and high end graphics cards require higher RAM. The tablets that use dual core have 1gb of RAM. The X2 only has 512mb of RAM. A fast processor is useless if the phone can't remember what it just "processed."

    If you have ever seen the movie "Momento" it is kind of like that. If you haven't seen Momento, watch it now!!!! I am sure it is available on the blockbuster app you can't uninstall.
    Ah nuts, well that sucks a bit. Why so cheap with the RAM?
    So when they say the X2 shares user and app memory it's actually flash men?
    Last edited by JohnnytheK; 06-10-2011 at 12:20 PM.
  8. Master Droid
    Nyteravyn's Avatar
    Member #
    175954
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MidWest
    Posts
    814
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #18
    Neither of you has taken into acct that the ram as stated by another tech I spoke with at moto corporate yesterday is ddr2... Though I'm waiting for a tear down as validation .

    Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  9. Master Droid
    Elkay's Avatar
    Member #
    85850
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    267
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #19
    Tegra 2 chipsets use DDR2.

    NVIDIA Tegra 2

    Poor RAM profiling is absolutely the problem with the device's performance currently. I'm fully aware of how Android caches apps and shuts them down as needed. It does so through manufacturer-specified configurable settings, though. Motorola has HORRIBLE stock settings defined on the X2. I'm the one that thoroughly tested and posted the memory profile fixes on the forums. With the stock settings, Android can't even keep LauncherPro in memory with only a few widgets on the homescreens.

    Kingsway is correct. And Momento is a great flic.
    Last edited by Elkay; 06-10-2011 at 03:49 PM.
  10. Master Droid
    Zetsumei's Avatar
    Member #
    54981
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cross Fiyahhhhhhh!
    Posts
    342
    Phone
    Droid X2
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkay View Post
    Tegra 2 chipsets use DDR2.

    NVIDIA Tegra 2

    Poor RAM profiling is absolutely the problem with the device's performance currently. I'm fully aware of how Android caches apps and shuts them down as needed. It does so through manufacturer-specified configurable settings, though. Motorola has HORRIBLE stock settings defined on the X2. I'm the one that thoroughly tested and posted the memory profile fixes on the forums. With the stock settings, Android can't even keep LauncherPro in memory with only a few widgets on the homescreens.

    Kingsway is correct. And Momento is a great flic.
    Kingsway never talked about the profiling of the RAM, just the amount of RAM I do agree that Moto's profiling has alot left to be desired. I have heard alot of good things about the V6 script with the better timings etc. If indeed it is DDR2 (heck even plain DDR) w/ the V6 script I forsee no issues w/ just 512 MB of RAM. I personally have had no issues w/ FC's speed issues, redraw issues w/ my launcher.
    Dat device history: Droid 1 , Droid 2 , Thunderbolt , Droid Charge, Droid x2 (current).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. problem recieving jpegs using normal mail program on Droid
    By n813ca in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 02:53 PM
  3. Problem with Normal/Silent Mode Settings
    By stevee in forum Android Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 02:03 PM
  4. Droid earpiece static. Normal or problem?
    By zenit in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 05:35 PM
  5. Is this normal?
    By trevntx in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 07:22 AM

Search tags for this page

apps on droid x2 taking up way more memory than usual

,

bang bang racing droid x2

,
droid x2 512mb not enough
,
having trouble streaming cheapo on droid x2
,
is anyone having problems with plants vs zombies on the droi
,

plants vs zombies android problem

,

plants vs zombies android problems

,

plants vs zombies droid x2

,

plants vs zombies droid x2 problems

,

plants vs zombies droidx2 problems

,

plants vs zombies music glitch

,

plants vs zombies not working on droid x2

,

plants vs zombies problem droid x2

,
pvz droid x2 problem
,

sirius app for droidx2

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+