So after a week+ of debating, I've decided to wait for the Droid 3 rather than keep the X2. I really tried to like swype and/or the virtual keyboard (prefer swiftkey over the default for sure), but the lack of a solid go-to, reliable HW KB was just too lacking for me. Plus, the X2 form-factor is almost too big, I think the 4" will be the sweet spot for me - nice bump from the 3.7" D1, but not quite as large as the 4.3" X2.
In a bizarre twist of fate however, my telecom director said it would be less hassle if I just kept the X2 until the D3 came out, rather than bother returning it and going back to the D1. So I guess on the bright side, I have the X2 to play with till then (but dang, I miss my KB!). Dual edged sword on that one, I suppose.
Also I made an interesting discovery, I had assumed the X2 had 1GB RAM based on rumored specs, but it turns out to only have 512MB (notice that Motorola does not list the RAM spec on their site anywhere...). Confirmed by running various diag tools like Z-DeviceTest and such.
So my other concern over memory of the D3 vs X2 is moot, since both have 512MB (supposedly for D3, who knows). Here's to hoping the D3 isnt more than a month out... just never know these days.