DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Droid Pro Call Quality

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro

Unhappy Droid Pro Call Quality

Hi all,

I just bought a Droid Pro and, while I'm loving everything about the phone, the call quality is pretty poor. I'd read in certain reviews that this was the case, and it's proving to be true.

Voices sound mildly garbled, and often if the person speaking on the other end says a monosyllabic word (such as "yes" or "no") to a question, it won't come through at all.

Have other people been experiencing this?

My question is whether this is a hardware problem or a software problem. If it's a hardware problem (i.e., they made a bad speaker), I'll have to return the phone.

But my sense is that it's a software problem. It seems like there's a noise cancellation algorithm (like an EQ or something) filtering the incoming call and attempting to suppress the background noise. Hence the overall digitized sound, as well as the monosyllabic drops (the software doesn't register it as speech since it's so short).

If it is a software issue, I wonder if Motorola might address this in a future firmware update.

Any thoughts?
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    It depresses me to see posts like this simply because I'm not experiencing half the problems others are with this phone. I'm coming from the Samsung Fascinate, and the call quality on that thing was absolutely horrid, however I had a Droid1 before that, and I would put the Droid Pro over the Droid 1 in call quality. Voices and clear and crisp, I'm having no problems at all, and people on the other end don't have any problems hearing me. I would try a phone swap and see if it's any better, because if my Pro can produce clear calls, yours should be able to also.
    HTC Droid DNA
    Galaxy S III
    Galaxy Nexus
    HTC Thunderbolt
    LG Revolution
    Motorola Droid 2
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Samsung Fascinate
    Motorola Droid 1
    Blackberry Storm2
    Blackberry Storm
    Blackberry Pearl
    Motorola Q9
    Motorola Q
    Samsung SCH-A930
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I have no problems and voice quality is great

Sent from my DROID PRO
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhite757 View Post
    It depresses me to see posts like this simply because I'm not experiencing half the problems others are with this phone. I'm coming from the Samsung Fascinate, and the call quality on that thing was absolutely horrid, however I had a Droid1 before that, and I would put the Droid Pro over the Droid 1 in call quality. Voices and clear and crisp, I'm having no problems at all, and people on the other end don't have any problems hearing me. I would try a phone swap and see if it's any better, because if my Pro can produce clear calls, yours should be able to also.
    I agree with you. The call quality on my Fascinate was BEYOND horrid !!! It was HORRENDOUS !!! The quality on my Pro is really good and very clear and almost too loud. I keep having to turn down the volume for different people because it's so loud.

I am sorry as well to read these posts and think that maybe they should try swapping phones or exchanging them in for another model. After reading a few negative reviews about the call quality, I was afraid of experiencing the same thing, so I immediately asked everyone I talked-to for their opinion and they ALL gave raving good reports on the clarity of the calls.

Hope you can find a solution.
    FINALLY got my GN2 from slow-poke VZN !!
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    I had the same call quality issues with my phone. If I turned the volume up more than half way it sounded like something was vibrating/robotic/static. People I called said they had trouble hearing me as well. I went to verizon tonight and got a replacement Droid Pro. This one has NONE of the call quality problems the old one has. Speaker sounds great on my end even with the volume all the way up. The people I have called so far say that my voice is completely clear. I would recommend getting a replacement.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Pro
    I think the best solution to this is just hang up and text the person instead lol. I will probably swap mine out with a new one and just go from there.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    strange, yours might be a lemon because the call quality on mine is crystal clear... even on overseas phone calls :shrug:
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    I got mine and had terrible call quality and signal strength. While it did improve, strangely enough, over the course of a few days, it still wasn't great. I called Verizon and they sent me a replacement phone which has been working fine right out of the box. So, clearly, there are some (a lot?) of lemons out there. Call Verizon and have them send you a new one.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to give it a few more days and attempt a return. Or I may wait a few weeks to do the return just to make sure they're giving me a unit from a different shipment.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Mine has been terrible, but when I went to my local Verizon store, they tried it out and it was working fine. They told me to hang on to mine and test it out more because according to this sale associate, I am only allowed one exchange during the 30 day period. I thought that was BS.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links