DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about ditching my blueberry. Need to know if the droid is up to the task...

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Thinking about ditching my blueberry. Need to know if the droid is up to the task...

I would probably be described as a "power user". Lots of phone time, lots of email. I tried the first droid when it came out. Hated it. Mostly because of the whole touch screen thing. And it was a little buggy. Now that they have a real keyboard, I'm interested...

I have a small business which uses a number of different gmail accounts. Between work and personal, there are about 9 different gmail accounts I need to monitor. Can the droid accept that many?

Can I have different signatures for each gmail account?

What about ring profiles? At night, I would like certain emails to ring through and others to remain silent. The original droid could not do that.

Even though I have 9 gmail accounts, I have one with all my important contacts. Can I have it OTA synch contacts with just the one and ignore the rest.

Same goes for my google calendar... I want to OTA synch it with that primary gmail account and ignore the others. Is that possible?

I played with the phone for a bit the other day. The keyboard is quite nice and the screen looks great. Unfortunately I have become accustomed to some of these basic BB features that I now can't live without. I'm sure I'll come up with a few more questions, but that is all for now. Thanks.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible By HTC
    Well...I am a former BB user and converted to Android myself. I wouldn't exactly call myself a "power user," but I think Android is really freaking sweet, much better than my BB was (BlackBerry Curve 3G 9330). I now have a Droid Incredible By HTC. If you try some newer Droid models depending on your carrier you will find that the newer Droid phones are much, much better and improved over the original Droid model. The best ones at the moment I know of that I like are Droid 2, Droid Incredible, and Droid X. They are Verizon exclusive. Although there is also talk of the Incredible HD.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I'm on verizon and won't switch. They are the only provider I've found to have rock solid phone service. ATT was horrific. I also won't use a touch screen phone. Being that the pro has a keyboard, I see it as definitely having potential.

Any ideas on some of the questions I posted above?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
    I would probably be described as a "power user". Lots of phone time, lots of email. I tried the first droid when it came out. Hated it. Mostly because of the whole touch screen thing. And it was a little buggy. Now that they have a real keyboard, I'm interested...

I have a small business which uses a number of different gmail accounts. Between work and personal, there are about 9 different gmail accounts I need to monitor. Can the droid accept that many?
    I've used it with 5 gmail accounts, don't know if there is a limit.

Can I have different signatures for each gmail account?
    Yes

What about ring profiles? At night, I would like certain emails to ring through and others to remain silent. The original droid could not do that.
    Don't know if you can do it out of the box, but there is likely 3rd party apps that will allow this. Tasker for sure, maybe others.

Even though I have 9 gmail accounts, I have one with all my important contacts. Can I have it OTA synch contacts with just the one and ignore the rest.
    Yes

Same goes for my google calendar... I want to OTA synch it with that primary gmail account and ignore the others. Is that possible?
    Yes

I played with the phone for a bit the other day. The keyboard is quite nice and the screen looks great. Unfortunately I have become accustomed to some of these basic BB features that I now can't live without. I'm sure I'll come up with a few more questions, but that is all for now. Thanks.
    Answers above.
    OG Droid retired but serving as a wireless tablet now and then.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Thanks for the reply Droids.

Can you have individual icons for each gmail account or are they all lumped together?

I've been searching pretty thoroughly for an app to customize the profiles, but haven't found one yet that I'm certain will do it. There are a couple that will allow you to change the profile of your gmail account for example (assuming all of them), but I haven't found one that will allow you to change the profile of one gmail account in particular but not the others.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Hemorrdroid
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Just saw this a minute ago, might check it out for your profiling needs:
    WhoIsIt Beta

Pretty sure it just lumps the gmail accounts together, you can go into gmail and select which account you want to view, but i am not aware of how to set individual icons on the home screen (might be possible though).
    Thunderbolt
    CM7 Pre-Alpha
    Good bye MOTO
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I don't think it will separate out different gmails, but I posted in the thread to ask anyway. Thanks for the link.

Since the Pro has no trackball or dpad, how do you navigate around the screen?
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible By HTC
    I will check this app out too. Thanks, hemo. I must admit I was quite disappointed. BB was my dream phone for the longest time and I finally got one only to find out that it is an awesome phone in it's own right, but it pales terribly next to Droids.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Droids.

Can you have individual icons for each gmail account or are they all lumped together?
    Yes, you can set up icons on your homescreen(s) for gmail labels. So you can have a shortcut to the inbox for each account that way. Once you launch that shortcut it will open the gmail account you specified and go directly to the inbox.

It's not exactly having individual icons for each gmail account, but in effect it is the same thing. Once you're in the inbox you have full access to the entire account, same as if you launched the gmail app and picked an account to look at, which typically opens in the inbox folder (label). You can also easily switch (one click) to other accounts once you have one open. You can name the shortcuts anything you want.

The short answer to your question is yes, long press on a homescreen, choose Shortcuts, then choose Gmail Label, and follow the prompts.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Regarding profiles, the Pro has a new feature we all want and hope it can be ported to older devices. It actually has built-in profiles, for home, work, night, etc. So you can have different home screens and I expect, other behaviors too.

Support
    DROID PRO - Motorola USA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links