DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the screen resolution so low on the Pro?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

Why is the screen resolution so low on the Pro?

When comparing the screen resolution of the Driod Pro with the other Driod phones it seems to be significantly lower. Why is this?

Pro: 3.1-in. HGVA (320 x 480)
    Driod and Driod 2: 3.7-in.; W/FWVGA (480 x 854)

Why wouldnt they at least give it a screen as good as the Driod, not take a step back.

In addition to that with the worse resolution somehow it manages to get worse battery life as well. I dont get it

3. Ned
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    The screen resolution was the only con I could find not to get it. I am hopping that its not too bad with the 3.1 in screen. I will compare it to my D1 tomorrow when it arrives. Its to replace my wifes BB Tour so anything will be an upgrade. If it looks horrible it will be going back.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro (I'm a newbie)
    Ned, I'm anxious to hear what you find ... especially compared to a Droid 2.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I suspect the reason is because 3.1" panels aren't available in 854x480 resolution; and a 3.7" panel would make the device too large. To be fair, this device is set to compete with BlackBerry devices, which also tend to use screens around the same res.

The Droid Pro is a business phone, as opposed to a multimedia handset; so a high res screen likely wasn't as important a consideration.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    The screen resolution was the only con I could find not to get it. I am hopping that its not too bad with the 3.1 in screen. I will compare it to my D1 tomorrow when it arrives. Its to replace my wifes BB Tour so anything will be an upgrade. If it looks horrible it will be going back.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    If Im not mistaken its the same resolution as a Tour/Bold.

I guess I understand that its a smaller screen, I mean my Bold doesnt look bad. I guess I was just hoping for an upgrade thats all.

Edit- Actually the Bold/Tour as a little better 360x480
    Last edited by loki993; 11-11-2010 at 02:21 PM.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTO droid
    I think its the size of the screen maybe.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I looked at one today, but only very briefly. The screen isnt very good if you ask me. I think they actually kinda dropped the ball on that one. The keyboard is a little smaller than the blackberry and the keys are in a bit different places, but that would probally be gotten used to fairly quickly. I dont think I would get it becasue of the screen though. Id have to look at one again to make a final decision though.

I also looked at the Droid 2 and its got the same crappy, to me at least, Droid keyboard as the Droid so thats a nogo for me as well.

Does the Global have a different keyboard?

I was actually really impressed with the X, I honestly though I would have liked it. I had told myself it was too big, but its not as big as I would have though it was. It sure doesnt look like the brick that the Evo 4G does. The only question with that is can I deal with not having a real keyboard, I think I can but Im not sure. Im so used to my BB keyboard.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    I looked at one today, but only very briefly. The screen isnt very good if you ask me. I think they actually kinda dropped the ball on that one. The keyboard is a little smaller than the blackberry and the keys are in a bit different places, but that would probally be gotten used to fairly quickly. I dont think I would get it becasue of the screen though. Id have to look at one again to make a final decision though.

I also looked at the Droid 2 and its got the same crappy, to me at least, Droid keyboard as the Droid so thats a nogo for me as well.

Does the Global have a different keyboard?

I was actually really impressed with the X, I honestly though I would have liked it. I had told myself it was too big, but its not as big as I would have though it was. It sure doesnt look like the brick that the Evo 4G does. The only question with that is can I deal with not having a real keyboard, I think I can but Im not sure. Im so used to my BB keyboard.
    You shoulda checked out the Fascinate. Don't believe all of the negative info that's being spread about this phone; I personally believe it's at the top of VZW's Android offerings right now. Once you get used to not having a physical keyboard, you'll wonder why you waited so long to convert.
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    D1, X, Tbolt, DC, DB, GNex, S4
    Premium Member
    Its the screen size. I dont think you could cost effectively manufacture such a small screen with that high a resolution (480x854). The Blackberry Bolds screen resolution is only 480x360.
    New to android or just need to brush up on the basics? Abe has every thing you need Here:
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net

Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid x
    I got my droid pro two days ago and it's been pretty good so far. The screen resolution doesn't look any different than my do did to me. I have been pleased so far. Battery life doesn't seem as good though. I also miss root!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links