OK, here's the latest.......
* When you are using in portrait mode, only the hardware keyboard is active. When you rotate to landscape, you get the virtual keyboard.
* I tried it out with enterprise mail and it works quite well. I also like the integration of accounts feature.
* It definitely does NOT have noise canceling capabilities, a la Droid X. While I really like the DX call quality (both directions) I use a Jawbone Icon most of the time, so it's not critical for me to have the noise canceling feature on the phone.
* It really, really feels good in the hand. Almost perfect size for me as I have large hands (it could be a bit larger for me, but then the pocket-ability is compromised)
* While the extended battery is not yet available, I can see where it will make little difference in size, with the one piece back remaining smooth comfortable to hold. In fact, while I was talking to a VZW rep, she advised that she attended employee training on this device yesterday - and the trainer told the class that the Pro has new battery saving technology with yields 20% better life than previous similar models (take that for what you will, but it seems possible). Since the screen is smaller than the DX and there is no noise canceling tech on board, I would think the battery life may be decent. Either way, I'm getting the extended when it comes out - can never have too much battery. If it works as described, it will be a monster with the extended.
In my unprofessional, day-and-a-half opinion, this is a decent device for the Blackberry user who is wants android functionality. Unless I have a major disaster, this one will be a keeper.