DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Data roaming option turning off automatically - any fix ?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro

Data roaming option turning off automatically - any fix ?

I have a Droid Pro, Android 2.3.3, build 4.5.1-110-VNS-11, sim unlocked, using it in Europe.

I've recently changed my provider, and the new one needs to use the data roaming option all the time. Problem is, I turn it on, but as soon as you loose signal, the option turns itself off and you have to manually turn it on. Doing this many times a day becomes a BIG pita ...

After some research it seems to be a known Moto software issue, but haven't identified a fix for the Droid Pro. But I realized I don't have the latest system update, I should probably upgrade to the latest and see if it still happens.

I found a zip for the Official Update 4.6.8, can I install this over 4.5.1 or there are some other intermediate updates that I should install first ? Or is there something newer than 4.6.8 ? I'm looking for the answer myself, but I'm a bit confused by the many updates, custom roms, sbf, etc...

Anyway, does anyone know if the latest version would fix this data roaming issue ? Or I still need some app or custom rom whatever ?

Thanks for any pointer in the right direction ...

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    Follow up: tried installing the official update.zip of version 4.6.8 - didn't work ... some Error ...

file_getprop ... ro.build.fingerprint ... 4.5.1-110-VNS-22/110817 ... error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip ... status 7 ... install aborted ...

Doctor, what's the problem ? Is my current version too old ? Should I install some other intermediary update ?
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    Continuing to digg for a solution ...

post-build=verizon/venus2_vzw/cdma_venus2:2.3.3/4.5.1-110-VNS-22/110817:user/release-keys
    post-timestamp=1313649154
    pre-build=verizon/venus2_vzw/cdma_venus2/venus2:2.2.1/3.4.2_80_V2_87/8:user/release-keys
    pre-device=cdma_venus2

I found the following in a metadata file

and this in updater-script, both part of the update package:

assert(file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon/venus2_vzw/cdma_venus2/venus2:2.2.1/3.4.2_80_V2_87/8:user/release-keys" ||
    file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon/venus2_vzw/cdma_venus2:2.3.3/4.5.1-110-VNS-22/110817:user/release-keys");

It looks like there's no way to update the 4.5.1...VNS-11, as it's looking for a pre-update 3.4.2_80_V2_87 version ...

Seems silly to me, I have to downgrade to 3.4.2 in order to update to 4.6.8 ?!

At the time I've installed the update, I thought it was an official version ... I guess it was probably only an official-leak and the VNS-22 is the really-official one ...

OK, guess I'll start searching for the 3.4.2 now ...
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    Just found in another thread a link to a SBF 3.8.7, is this the same as the 2.2.1/3.4.2_80_V2_87 ?!

... deeply confused ... would appreciate any help, insult, whatever

Links