DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems charging your Droid Pro?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Problems charging your Droid Pro?

Over the weekend I began having problems charging my Pro...at first I thought it might be software related, and even did a factory reset to see if that would help, but it appears to be a "short" at the micro usb plug..when I plug it in it will jump back and forth between "connected" and "disconnected"...moving or putting pressure on the plug will affect whether it is connected or not...

I've always charged my Pro overnight after first turning it off, but now it will not let me do that...I will wake up at night and see that the phone has restarted and is usually at the CW recovery screen (rooted)...Up until this weekend I had not had any problems related to the plug or charging the device, so it seems strange that this seems to have happened overnight...The phone is less than a year old, so would normally be covered under warranty, although in it's current rooted state it would not be able to be returned...

I didn't see any other threads about this problem, and was wondering if anyone else had experienced a problem charging their Pro...
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    Over the weekend I began having problems charging my Pro...at first I thought it might be software related, and even did a factory reset to see if that would help, but it appears to be a "short" at the micro usb plug..when I plug it in it will jump back and forth between "connected" and "disconnected"...moving or putting pressure on the plug will affect whether it is connected or not...

I've always charged my Pro overnight after first turning it off, but now it will not let me do that...I will wake up at night and see that the phone has restarted and is usually at the CW recovery screen (rooted)...Up until this weekend I had not had any problems related to the plug or charging the device, so it seems strange that this seems to have happened overnight...The phone is less than a year old, so would normally be covered under warranty, although in it's current rooted state it would not be able to be returned...

I didn't see any other threads about this problem, and was wondering if anyone else had experienced a problem charging their Pro...
    I've had the exact same thing happen to me last week. I ended trying different plugs and eventually it looks like I'm OK. The most frustrating part is when "the phone has restarted and is usually at the CW recovery screen (rooted)".....everytime I recharge, my phone restarts at the CW recovery screen and I can't get stop it. I have to click re-boot, but otherwise it is stuck on the CW screen.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post

I saw this myself once last week. I went to charge my phone, plugged it in and walked away only to find later it had rebooted and I had to do a battery pull to get it restarted. I'm not rooted, btw. Haven't seen it since...
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    To further add to the mystery...it seems like this problem has now gone away...

connection problems, both with home or car charger don't seem to be a problem anymore...put it on the charger last night after powering off and stayed charging (and OFF) all night....I was convinced this was a "hardware" issue and that I might have to return my Pro, but now it seems it may have been some sort of issue with the OS, an app, etc...

just for the record, after charging my Pro at night (powered off), if I power it on in the morning it will always boot into the CW recovery menu...I then have to select "reboot system now"...a little aggravating, but one of the costs of being rooted I guess..
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Same thing happened to me. I've been using the same charger for months then suddenly charging became erratic. The port in the phone is fine and the charger was locking firmly so I have no idea what happened.

My car charger was still working fine so I ruled out a bad port. Used a charger from my D1 and it worked fine. No idea why this happened.

I did notice that when I reboot the phone via battery pull it now starts up in wifi? ????

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Using my D1 charger helped my situation as well....however, my car charger had been giving me connection problems, but now seems better as well...strange...
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola Droid Pro
    Hmm. I was hoping for more answers in this thread.

After a few months, my regular charger seems to not fit right. It still locks in physically, but only if I jostle the phone and tilt/bend the cord does it actually power the battery. I noticed that strangely connecting to my laptop with a USB always charges it, but I think the USB charging is weaker and therefore no substitute.

I for one am not sure this isn't a software issue. There are sensors and all I've heard of over-use of the USB to computer cord for charging can mess with the sensors. I'm going to see if the Verizon store can a new charger to work....
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Good luck...hope they can find something that will...

I'm kind of like you...the way this keeps changing it does seem like more of a software issue than simply a hardware connection issue...

while I'm not having the disconnecting while charging problem I was over the weekend, my Pro is still acting a little strange when trying to shut down and then charge....isn't working like it was anyway...
  9. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Same happened to me. I had to go back to my odd blackberry's cord. I'd plug it in, there would be the lightning symbol in the battery, but I'd leave it in overnight and the battery would go down due to it not charging. This has gotten so bad for me that the plugging my phone into the usb for my computer doesn't allow me to access the sdcard. I attribute this to the cyanogenmod building however. I've probably plugged in and unplugged the cords 5,000 times since I first bought it :P

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums
    if you'd like to buy me a beer, you can donate here :P thank you!!
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola Droid Pro
    Interesting. One other thing I noticed is that the difficulty charging came at about the same time EVERY app. regularly started locking up and giving me the whole "Not responding" stuff.

I wonder if verizon/motorola installed software to trip up those of us who are impatient.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links