DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text navigation w/o pad

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Text navigation w/o pad

One real annoyance I continue to have with the Pro is the lack of navigation keys when I am editing text, including cursor movement (up/down/left/right) and text selection (for copy/paste/etc). The little magnifier thing when you hold your finger on the text does sort of work, but I find it rather imprecise and annoying when I simply want to move a few characters over. What I really want is to map a few alt-keys to give me navigation controls (obviously, would then need a way to reach the symbols I mapped over), but I don't see a tool to do this. Best I came up with was an app called SoftKeys, which, when correctly configured, gives me a small screen icon, which, when long pressed, brings up a nav pad on the screen. So-so. Anyone else come up with anything better? Along the same lines, anyone know of a really flexible key mapper that support side keys, keyboard keys, soft keys, etc?
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Agreed. Drives me crazy when I've typed up a whole bunch of text in the browser and all I want to do is enter one word between two others. For the life of me, I keep touching between these two words and I'm always off by a character or two. I click and click and click and just can't get the cursor to get right between the words. And I have pretty skinny fingers. It's about the only time I ever miss my old BB trackball.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    On my droid x I use an onscreen keyboard called "ultra keyboard"; it can be configured to have arrow keys... probably not the best solution for the droid pro though :-/

Perphaps these help:
    Mapping DPAD cursor key

Bluetooth Keyboard and custom key and character mapping - xda-developers

...some variation of these should be able to accomplish what you are after (maybe alt-volume could be set up to move cursor left-right ?).
    Last edited by travisn000; 02-25-2011 at 02:54 PM.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    I'd love to see a future generation of the Pro come with hardware keys for the Menu, Home, Back, and Search keys, and incorporate a directional pad between them.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    I'd love to see a future generation of the Pro come with hardware keys for the Menu, Home, Back, and Search keys, and incorporate a directional pad between them.
    Originally there is a touchpad at the back, like the one shown in the verizon accessories. However I don't know why they take that out in the retail version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Text navigation w/o pad-capture.png  
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid pro
    Quote Originally Posted by madonnell View Post
    One real annoyance I continue to have with the Pro is the lack of navigation keys when I am editing text, including cursor movement (up/down/left/right) and text selection (for copy/paste/etc). The little magnifier thing when you hold your finger on the text does sort of work, but I find it rather imprecise and annoying when I simply want to move a few characters over. What I really want is to map a few alt-keys to give me navigation controls (obviously, would then need a way to reach the symbols I mapped over), but I don't see a tool to do this. Best I came up with was an app called SoftKeys, which, when correctly configured, gives me a small screen icon, which, when long pressed, brings up a nav pad on the screen. So-so. Anyone else come up with anything better? Along the same lines, anyone know of a really flexible key mapper that support side keys, keyboard keys, soft keys, etc?
    Seems that "softkeys" requires rooting. Any apps that do the same thing that don't require that?
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    There is an app called virtual trackball in the market, which obviously requires root. Although the app is far from perfect, it can do the job of a basic track ball ;-)

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by conswo View Post
    There is an app called virtual trackball in the market, which obviously requires root. Although the app is far from perfect, it can do the job of a basic track ball ;-)

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App
    Useful information, thanks.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid pro

maybe try....

z arrow? if thats the kind of app ur looking for? check it out, it helped me with what i needed to do, which is similar to what i think ur saying.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone

goos feedback

All,

Good info.

I'm trying z arrows right now. Better than my soft kbd solution.

Going to look much closer at the keyboard remapping travisn000 referred to (got to start thinking like a linux/unix user vs a cellphone user). That seems 'ideal'.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links