DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: unusable phone?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro

unusable phone?

had it for less than a week, and the battery is a disaster of epic proportions. I can't spend a full 8-9 hours outside without charging the thing. I've already turned down the brightness significantly.

Here's what I'm dealing with, i unplugged it just under 3 hours ago when i left for work.

I'm at the office, and i'm already down to 60%. My usage is:

cell standby - 24%
    display - 20%
    com.android.calendar - 18%
    android system - 17%
    com.motorola.service -11%
    phone idle - 9%
    android os - 2%

Its completely ridiculous. Likely returning this for a blackberry. If you are thinking of buying this phone, don't do it unless something is done about the battery. Its a beautiful phone and very "cool", but what good is that if it needs to be plugged in ALL THE TIME.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    I just converted a friend from a BB Curve to the Droid Pro and I can say he is not suffering the battery woes you are.

Screen Brightness, I would set to auto.
    Do you have a lot of widgets on your home screens? Do they refresh on their own? (ie Weather widgets, etc) You can lengthen the refresh intervals if so.

Even though there are 7 home screens available, I had my buddy shrink to only using 3 or 4.

I don't use the calendar but that seems like a lot of battery for it to be consuming... hopefully someone else can chime in on this one.

Also, how's the signal strength in your area? A weak signal can be detrimental to battery life.

These are just some basic things I'm sure you've already looked into but I'm just trying to give ya some help
  3. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    ...an extended battery would be a good investment - but going back to an inferior device doesn't make much sense

4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    i'm based out of NYC, so signal strength shouldn't be an issue?

I have no idea what i'm doing wrong...3 hours and 39 minutes since unplugged, and now its down to 50%???

i understand its going to be battery intensive, but i will be unable to go out for a full day without the thing dying??

i've turned off wifi, bluetooth, and gps. My screen brightness is very low. I want to love this device, but how can they expect corporate users to function on this thing?
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Sounds like you have a Task Killer installed.....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    so what should i do?
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG DROID, DROID X, DROID 3
    I switched my settings for global to cdma not sure what that does. But That helped my battery the most. I use the brightest display setting. Gps always on. Laucher pro with 5 full screens of widgets. My battery last from 5am til 10 at night with 30 %. I did have a problem when I put my phone in my locker. It lost signal and the screen had a pop up that left the screen on. That drained it

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Here's my tips (I do not have a Pro, but I've been using Android for the past 13 months):

1. Go to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Enable always-on data. Uncheck always on data. Your phone will still receive email, text, & phone calls as before as well as internet usage but your battery will last a lot longer.

2. Emails: I don't know what email app he uses, but have him try this. It saves battery power and in some cases gets his emails to him quicker. This scheme will have him using only the Gmail app on the phone for all his email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on his computer and log into his Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an options called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll his regular, non-Gmail accounts. He provides the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll his other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to his phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. It will always be at least every five minutes. This saves battery power because on the android os with pop3 accounts they are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.

3. If you are using Live Wall Papers, stop!

4. Use wifi any time it is available. It uses a lot less power than 3G and it is much faster.

5. If there are widgets on any of the screens that automatically update (facebook, weather, etc.) change their update frequency in their settings menu. Set them to 30mins or 1 hour.

6. Oh, almost forgot, get the extended battery from Verizon.

7. Turn off the GPS unless you are actually using it. There are some background apps that can burn a lot of power via a live gps.

8. The Power Control Widget is a good tool for easily turning on and off some of these features (gps, wifi, screen brightness, etc.).

9. Get Screebl. It will turn your phone off anytime you are not actively using it.

10. If you have either a task killer or an anti-virus app, uninstall. Your phone needs neither.

That's all I can think of right now.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck with your phone.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    thanks, i dont think i have any sort of task killer, because the only thing i DL'd was the power control widget. RIght now i've turned everything off.

what about that "always on" data functionality. What does it do exactly? i need my work email to be live synching - will this do something to that if i play around with it?
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygladhands View Post
    so what should i do?
    I am on my second Pro (i have numerous postings regarding my issues). I am waiting for a D2G replacement as this second Pro is problematic also.

In my opinion, this phone is a bit buggy and maybe not ready for prime time.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links