DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Verizon software updates ruined my Motorola Droid Bionic

  1. Droid
    Livin PA's Avatar
    Member #
    12615
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North-Eastern Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    51
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic XT875
    #31
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow View Post
    I still doubt the battery will last as long as a fresh bionic extended battery. I'm at 14 hours and still at 77%. But don't think that a brand new phone will not be glitchy either, they can be just as bad or worse than some of the older ones. And as far as being more advanced... my Bionic can run any app I want and is just as fast as the new phones because its rooted, de-bloated, zipaligned etc... IMO these phones' hardware are a good year or even two ahead of the software. I'm willing to bet if my Bionic manages to last another year that is the point where it will just start to not be able to run what I need it to.

    I'm not saying don't get a new phone, you've got an upgrade to burn and you need a new phone, just saying that the Bionic is still quite viable. Also I hope you won't be losing unlimited data by upgrading, that would suck. DEFINITELY don't fall for that new crap where you put money down and then lease your phone monthly.
    Well I am just going by the reviews, people have good things to say about the phones battery life and I don't hear anything about bugs. I am just trying to take the easiest course of action, I don't want a headache converting my Droid Bionic. So do you feel the process is easy or should I just get a Moto X? As for my upgrade I am taking the Verizon's operators advice. Bring both phones (My smartphone with the unlimited data and the dumb phone with the upgrade) and tell the dealer what I want to do, just let them take care of it. That will allow me to get the upgrade and keep my unlimited data, supposedly.

    Quote Originally Posted by TatDroid View Post
    That's impressive, but I'm guessing that has to be with very low usage - screen time under an hour?

    My extended battery Bionic would typically get me about 16 hours with pretty regularly use - 3.5 to 4 hours of screen time. My new Moto X, which is MUCH thinner, with its 2200mh battery, does a little better. I get 16 to 18 hours of usage with about 5 hours of screen time. It's still very new though, so we'll have to see how it goes over the next few weeks.
    I appreciate you sharing your experiences. By the way I appreciate the Euro Trip reference in your screen name.
    First Smart Phone: Motorola Droid A855

    Current Smart Phone: Motorola Droid Bionic XT875
  2. Master Droid
    JimmyD's Avatar
    Member #
    27461
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    478
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Livin PA View Post
    Well I am just going by the reviews, people have good things to say about the phones battery life and I don't hear anything about bugs. I am just trying to take the easiest course of action, I don't want a headache converting my Droid Bionic. So do you feel the process is easy or should I just get a Moto X? As for my upgrade I am taking the Verizon's operators advice. Bring both phones (My smartphone with the unlimited data and the dumb phone with the upgrade) and tell the dealer what I want to do, just let them take care of it. That will allow me to get the upgrade and keep my unlimited data, supposedly.
    My wife and I just got a new phone for her (I still have my Bionic) and we were informed that unlimited data is no longer an option. (We use Verizon) I'm granfathered in with unlimited data currently, and I was told that I will lose the unlimited data if I upgrade to a new phone and sign a new 2 year contract. They said it will be a $10 flat fee for the month if I go over the allotted data amount in whatever plan I choose.
  3. Droid
    tyseft163's Avatar
    Member #
    205846
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    40
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Livin PA View Post
    Well I am just going by the reviews, people have good things to say about the phones battery life and I don't hear anything about bugs. I am just trying to take the easiest course of action, I don't want a headache converting my Droid Bionic. So do you feel the process is easy or should I just get a Moto X? As for my upgrade I am taking the Verizon's operators advice. Bring both phones (My smartphone with the unlimited data and the dumb phone with the upgrade) and tell the dealer what I want to do, just let them take care of it. That will allow me to get the upgrade and keep my unlimited data, supposedly.



    I appreciate you sharing your experiences. By the way I appreciate the Euro Trip reference in your screen name.
    Well, i got VZW to allow me to upgrade a bit early after all my complaining about my BIONIC. I picked up the MOTO X. I wanted the bigger screen and awesome batter of Droid MAXX, but i reflected back on my experience with BIONIC and thought it was time to sever my ties to DROIDs, assuming that most of the problems I've noticed and attributed to the 4.1.2 OS update would more likely recur under a VZW Branded DROID than with a "almost more direct from the MFGR" Moto X.

    With less than two full days with it, I can say that it is so much more snappy than my crippled BIONIC. It feels smaller and fits better in the hand. On day two, of regular screwing with it, still tweaking it in, it lasted more than 15 hrs off charger. That is much better than BIONIC with standard battery, and probably as good or better than extended battery BIONIC. It has a refreshingly noticeable lack of bloatware on it. And, i haven't even really gotten into the Touchless Controls yet (too busy with work). Hopefully, i'll be able to cope with the one CON of this device that i could think of; -limited to 16 GB Memory. And, though i think the screen is the same size as BIONIC, without all the extra material surrounding it, it appears to be larger (but i know it's not).
    Only thing I'm not loving about Moto X is that there is no speed dial or the ability to start spelling a name on the dialer and have contacts start to pop up. Very strange, how this one feature that phones have had for decades is not along for the ride on this semi-stock Android OS. With all that is great about this phone, this is not a big deal. i'm sure there's an app for that.

    My experience and knowledge gained from this forum was greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
    BTW, for BIONIC owners experiencing lagginess. I happened to get in touch with Motorola's Punit Soni and he referred me to one of his guys that looked into my MEI on my BIONIC. He said he could see Verizon's Vcast causing some issues for me. I never used that app, but it could have been causing much of my miserable experience with the device, as of late. Something to look at disabling, if you can, or care to.
  4. Droid
    Livin PA's Avatar
    Member #
    12615
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North-Eastern Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    51
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic XT875
    #34
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
    My wife and I just got a new phone for her (I still have my Bionic) and we were informed that unlimited data is no longer an option. (We use Verizon) I'm granfathered in with unlimited data currently, and I was told that I will lose the unlimited data if I upgrade to a new phone and sign a new 2 year contract. They said it will be a $10 flat fee for the month if I go over the allotted data amount in whatever plan I choose.
    That is what they told me at the Verizon Kiosk at my mall but the operator told me I could get the update using one of my dumb phones and once bought/activated transfer it to the line with the unlimited data free of charge.

    Quote Originally Posted by tyseft163 View Post
    Well, i got VZW to allow me to upgrade a bit early after all my complaining about my BIONIC. I picked up the MOTO X. I wanted the bigger screen and awesome batter of Droid MAXX, but i reflected back on my experience with BIONIC and thought it was time to sever my ties to DROIDs, assuming that most of the problems I've noticed and attributed to the 4.1.2 OS update would more likely recur under a VZW Branded DROID than with a "almost more direct from the MFGR" Moto X.

    With less than two full days with it, I can say that it is so much more snappy than my crippled BIONIC. It feels smaller and fits better in the hand. On day two, of regular screwing with it, still tweaking it in, it lasted more than 15 hrs off charger. That is much better than BIONIC with standard battery, and probably as good or better than extended battery BIONIC. It has a refreshingly noticeable lack of bloatware on it. And, i haven't even really gotten into the Touchless Controls yet (too busy with work). Hopefully, i'll be able to cope with the one CON of this device that i could think of; -limited to 16 GB Memory. And, though i think the screen is the same size as BIONIC, without all the extra material surrounding it, it appears to be larger (but i know it's not).
    Only thing I'm not loving about Moto X is that there is no speed dial or the ability to start spelling a name on the dialer and have contacts start to pop up. Very strange, how this one feature that phones have had for decades is not along for the ride on this semi-stock Android OS. With all that is great about this phone, this is not a big deal. i'm sure there's an app for that.

    My experience and knowledge gained from this forum was greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
    BTW, for BIONIC owners experiencing lagginess. I happened to get in touch with Motorola's Punit Soni and he referred me to one of his guys that looked into my MEI on my BIONIC. He said he could see Verizon's Vcast causing some issues for me. I never used that app, but it could have been causing much of my miserable experience with the device, as of late. Something to look at disabling, if you can, or care to.
    Thanks, I am glad to hear from an actual owner that the Moto X is a good phone and a improvement over the older Droid phones. I had a good experience with the original Motorola Droid and I liked my Bionic for most of the time I had it until later in it's life. I think I will just get a Moto X. I am probably going to do it in late January to early February as I am going to buy something this month that I have been planning on getting for awhile which will cost me a few hundred and the Holidays are coming up too.
    First Smart Phone: Motorola Droid A855

    Current Smart Phone: Motorola Droid Bionic XT875
  5. Master Droid
    Graymayre's Avatar
    Member #
    43929
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    453
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    graymayre
    Phone
    Bionic
    #35
    As much as I was a loyal Moto Droid fan, I had to go with the Galaxy S4. It was the only viable upgrade, having both the removable battery and sd card as well as actual hardware upgrades. The downsides were simply it was a delicate Samsung instead of a hardy moto and that it wasn't "Droid", but those just aren't acceptable reasons when I can slap it in an otterbox commuter.

    My Bionic has been retired to GPS (on the S4 wifi) and netbook/tablet with the lapdock. Works quite well now

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  6. Droid
    Livin PA's Avatar
    Member #
    12615
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North-Eastern Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    51
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic XT875
    #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Graymayre View Post
    As much as I was a loyal Moto Droid fan, I had to go with the Galaxy S4. It was the only viable upgrade, having both the removable battery and sd card as well as actual hardware upgrades. The downsides were simply it was a delicate Samsung instead of a hardy moto and that it wasn't "Droid", but those just aren't acceptable reasons when I can slap it in an otterbox commuter.

    My Bionic has been retired to GPS (on the S4 wifi) and netbook/tablet with the lapdock. Works quite well now

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I have been thinking about going with the S4, my friend got an S3 and was telling me to get the S4. He mentions the fixed battery and lack of SD card with the Maxx plus how the S4 has a quad core processor. However from research the Maxx seems to have the best battery life of any phone on the market and no one is complaining about the lack of performance. However the SD card issue is riding on me a bit, I don't really need all that space as I don't really have a music library on my phone but I would sleep better at night knowing that if my phone got bricked my photos will still be available on my SD card. Also my friend is offering me a copy of his music library which is at 20 GB's and it would be nice to have it on my phone, in the same breath I drive a new Ford which has the navigation/infotainment system. I could just as easily upload all that music to a thumb drive and plug it into my car. I only really listen to music while driving so I can live without it on my phone.

    Decisions, decisions. I have been happy with Motorola so far (Sans my Bionic getting glitchy from the software) and the toughness is important to me since I work in a "hands on" job.
    First Smart Phone: Motorola Droid A855

    Current Smart Phone: Motorola Droid Bionic XT875
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. [HOW TO] get updates on your modified Motorola DROID Bionic
    By wicked in forum Droid Bionic Hacks
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-15-2013, 01:45 PM
  2. manual software updates - droid bionic
    By kahuna in forum Android Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2013, 06:41 PM
  3. Verizon Updates Bionic Software Upgrade Page for ICS
    By zirkdog in forum Motorola Droid Bionic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 09:06 PM
  4. Verizon 4G Motorola Droid BIONIC XT875: My Baby is Ruined!!! :-(
    By Virgo_Intacta in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 08:09 PM
  5. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 09:31 PM

Search tags for this page

bionic don't upgrade
,

does verizon have ability to roll back phone system updates

,

droid a855 software

,

droid bionic factory reset

,

droid bionic software update

,
how to stop updates in motorola verizon
,

motorola bionic software update

,
motorola bionic started to slow down
,

motorola droid bionic software update

,

motorola update ruined phone

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+