DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bionic just bricked itself? com.android.phone has stopped

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    My bionic just started acting up. My screen goes black and all apps & icons become unresponsive although I can flip through my home screen and apps. If I try to pick an app it highlights the app but it won't open. The phone either reboots on it's own or I have to pull the battery to reset it. I did a total wipe the phone and I'm still having the same problem. I would say that it freezes anywhere from 3 - 8 times a day depending on how much I'm on it. This happens with no particular app it seems like it's a problem in the OS. Why it just started who knows. I called verizon and they have me deleting apps and testing if one of my apps that I re-downloaded. My phone is almost stock with a few apps I downloaded and so far I can't identify that a program is the culprit. The black screen and crashing OS sounds like they could be related in one way or another. If I get an answer on this I'll post here.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Casio G'z One Commando
    Unfortunately that seems like a totally different issue altogether, but might be solvable with the same solution.

My issue renders the phone nearly useless, except as a clock. It says there's no service or anything like that, and it's tricky to unlock the screen because I'm not joking when I say that the error pops up within a half a second after you just closed the last one. After about 30 minutes the phone "shuts off" but not entirely, it's like the screen isn't responding. The screen turns off, and it won't respond to anything except for a battery pull, but that little green notification light that you get when you restart an android phone, that won't go away until you pull down the notification bar? That's still blinking. It's weird.

Anywho, my solution is for those of you who ever might have this error, which seems 1 of a kind. I'm going to root and FXZ back to an earlier version and then update back to 4.1.2, and hope that I don't brick it somehow, and that it'll repair the software that's faulty. My only problem is that I remember when all the leaks were coming out, if you wanted to get the latest leak you had to go back to a certain version but I'm not sure what that version was. It could be 5.9.902, or 5.9.905, or 6.7.246, that's my problem, I don't know which one to safely go back to. My other problem is that the only charger I have is a Motorola SmartCharger, which does not support USB computer charging, so plugging it into the computer does literally nothing with that cable. I'm in college now and a student in the room next to me has one, hopefully I can borrow it for a little while tonight. I have the rooting software ready, all it needs is the cable and a press of a button and it'll start, I have all 3 of the versions I mentioned before downloaded, I'm ready to go, just need that cable.

Speaking of college..
    Yesterday was Friday, and we're all freshmen here right now and yesterday was our first Friday. I swear, I think there was a party on my floor or something. Anywho, I've brought a few projects to work on while I'm here since I'm going into Computer Science, which includes my dad's old laptop, my Droid Bionic (I'm using my dad's old G'z One Commando for right now), and my old MotoDroid 1, try to fix them up if I can. I got bored, so I decided to take apart my old D1, see if I could fix the broken digitizer or something, but the screws on the slide-out keyboard that hold the LCD in place are too tight and too small so I couldn't get to that. I put it back together, and except for 2 little pieces that fell out by themselves (when I'm pretty sure at one point they were securely in there, they were rattling around for a while when I was still using it), putting the phone back together was rather easy and it still powers on, even though I took apart every single thing that I could, disconnecting the ribbon cables and what not, it still powers on. Still has a broken screen, but whatever. Then I got bored again.. So I did the same to the Bionic. This time I was able to get to the screen, and then put it back together again, and it still powers on but still has the software issue. I wish I knew where the antenna was, see if there was something wrong with that.

Anywho, main question:
    FXZ'ing back to a previous version from 4.1.2. Which one do I go back to?
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Phone
    Bionic, Gnex, N7, RMHD, G2
    Quote Originally Posted by hAHAha_Halo View Post
    Unfortunately that seems like a totally different issue altogether, but might be solvable with the same solution.

My issue renders the phone nearly useless, except as a clock. It says there's no service or anything like that, and it's tricky to unlock the screen because I'm not joking when I say that the error pops up within a half a second after you just closed the last one. After about 30 minutes the phone "shuts off" but not entirely, it's like the screen isn't responding. The screen turns off, and it won't respond to anything except for a battery pull, but that little green notification light that you get when you restart an android phone, that won't go away until you pull down the notification bar? That's still blinking. It's weird.

Anywho, my solution is for those of you who ever might have this error, which seems 1 of a kind. I'm going to root and FXZ back to an earlier version and then update back to 4.1.2, and hope that I don't brick it somehow, and that it'll repair the software that's faulty. My only problem is that I remember when all the leaks were coming out, if you wanted to get the latest leak you had to go back to a certain version but I'm not sure what that version was. It could be 5.9.902, or 5.9.905, or 6.7.246, that's my problem, I don't know which one to safely go back to. My other problem is that the only charger I have is a Motorola SmartCharger, which does not support USB computer charging, so plugging it into the computer does literally nothing with that cable. I'm in college now and a student in the room next to me has one, hopefully I can borrow it for a little while tonight. I have the rooting software ready, all it needs is the cable and a press of a button and it'll start, I have all 3 of the versions I mentioned before downloaded, I'm ready to go, just need that cable.

Speaking of college..
    Yesterday was Friday, and we're all freshmen here right now and yesterday was our first Friday. I swear, I think there was a party on my floor or something. Anywho, I've brought a few projects to work on while I'm here since I'm going into Computer Science, which includes my dad's old laptop, my Droid Bionic (I'm using my dad's old G'z One Commando for right now), and my old MotoDroid 1, try to fix them up if I can. I got bored, so I decided to take apart my old D1, see if I could fix the broken digitizer or something, but the screws on the slide-out keyboard that hold the LCD in place are too tight and too small so I couldn't get to that. I put it back together, and except for 2 little pieces that fell out by themselves (when I'm pretty sure at one point they were securely in there, they were rattling around for a while when I was still using it), putting the phone back together was rather easy and it still powers on, even though I took apart every single thing that I could, disconnecting the ribbon cables and what not, it still powers on. Still has a broken screen, but whatever. Then I got bored again.. So I did the same to the Bionic. This time I was able to get to the screen, and then put it back together again, and it still powers on but still has the software issue. I wish I knew where the antenna was, see if there was something wrong with that.

Anywho, main question:
    FXZ'ing back to a previous version from 4.1.2. Which one do I go back to?
    maybe i missed something, but i don't understand why you need to go backward, unless you are still on a leak now that wont go forward without going backward first.
    if you use the wrong file trying to go backward, its going to boot loop. some versions, there is no version going backward that wont boot loop.
    i would just use this if you are on the current ota SamuriHL's House Of Bionic - DroidRzr.com
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Casio G'z One Commando
    I'm not on a leak, it's on the stock software. What I'd like to know is what version do I flash? Are you saying that I can just reflash .22 without bricking it?

Plus, you have to keep in mind it has to delete everything as far as my apps and data. The factory reset, both in the system settings and in the bootloader, do not work. Every time I use it, I turn it back on and everything is still there. What I need is to root and pretty much flash whatever software that will replace/repair the current software.

So if I don't need to go back to .246 or earlier, do I download just plain old 98.72.22? Or is there a certain one I have to download of .22 that includes all of that?
    My Phones:
    Motorola Droid 1 (02/??/2010 - 10/17/11)
    Unknown when I actually got the phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic (10/18/11 - 8/15/13)
    Currently in ICU, possible state of reviving
    Casio G'z One Commando (8/16/12 - Present Day)
    Temporary replacement, upgrade available but I'mma broke college freshman
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Phone
    Bionic, Gnex, N7, RMHD, G2
    I'm not on a leak, it's on the stock software. What I'd like to know is what version do I flash? Are you saying that I can just reflash .22 without bricking it?

Plus, you have to keep in mind it has to delete everything as far as my apps and data. The factory reset, both in the system settings and in the bootloader, do not work. Every time I use it, I turn it back on and everything is still there. What I need is to root and pretty much flash whatever software that will replace/repair the current software.

So if I don't need to go back to .246 or earlier, do I download just plain old 98.72.22? Or is there a certain one I have to download of .22 that includes all of that?
    yea, reflash .22, i have done it many times.
    the script will delete your data. there are a couple options in the script, more precisely here SamuriHL's House of Bionic - SamuriHL's House Of Bionic - DroidRzr.com
    DO NOT USE THE RSD OPTION, don't even bother downloading the rsd add on as it will say in the script directions, it is not needed.
    yes download 98.72.22 from the second post in that thread, there is only 1 version of it.
    you will have to put 22 in the script directory, read through the first post for instruction on where and how to place it, its easy, just a lot of reading first.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Casio G'z One Commando
    Well that wasn't worth it. 3 days of waiting for a cable, and 30 minutes of holding the phone a certain way, it finally did it.. and nearly bricked it. Got it to boot it up again, and android.process.phone has stopped. I'm going with the rooting option.
    My Phones:
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Casio G'z One Commando
    Can't root it.

So here's what I've noticed:
    Can't do factory resets or anything with it. It is stuck exactly the way it is. Every time I mess with the settings, when I reboot it the settings go right back to the way they were.

I am SEVERELY pissed at Verizon. I have friends who have told me that they just go in and complain and they get a brand new phone. I go in, asking for a CLN phone, A CERTIFIED LIKE-NEW REPLACEMENT PHONE, and that was AFTER he told me he couldn't do anything to fix it, and they won't even do that for me. They tell me either to upgrade when I don't have the money because I'm a freshman in college, and that my other option is to root it and fix it myself. My girlfriend had a phone that was out of warranty, had water damage, dropped on cement, and was 2 months away from her upgrade date, and she was given a brand new RAZR M. That was 2 months ago. She's available for an upgrade right now. We've been loyal to Verizon for 8 years, and I've been nice and haven't stormed into Verizon, haven't been frustrated with any of the employees, in fact I've been understanding with them until now. This is the biggest load of bull that I've ever been through. Maybe I'll walk into the Verizon store that's near campus and if/when they tell me that they won't do anything for me, I'll just tell them that I guess I have to wait for my contract to end to switch to AT&T or something for better customer service, which is actually HILARIOUS since it's right next door to the Verizon store, and I'll just tell them "Yeah, I gotta go next door now" and literally walk into the AT&T store. I'm not playing nice with Verizon anymore.
    My Phones:
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Can't root it.

So here's what I've noticed:
    Can't do factory resets or anything with it. It is stuck exactly the way it is. Every time I mess with the settings, when I reboot it the settings go right back to the way they were.

I am SEVERELY pissed at Verizon. I have friends who have told me that they just go in and complain and they get a brand new phone. I go in, asking for a CLN phone, A CERTIFIED LIKE-NEW REPLACEMENT PHONE, and that was AFTER he told me he couldn't do anything to fix it, and they won't even do that for me. They tell me either to upgrade when I don't have the money because I'm a freshman in college, and that my other option is to root it and fix it myself. My girlfriend had a phone that was out of warranty, had water damage, dropped on cement, and was 2 months away from her upgrade date, and she was given a brand new RAZR M. That was 2 months ago. She's available for an upgrade right now. We've been loyal to Verizon for 8 years, and I've been nice and haven't stormed into Verizon, haven't been frustrated with any of the employees, in fact I've been understanding with them until now. This is the biggest load of bull that I've ever been through. Maybe I'll walk into the Verizon store that's near campus and if/when they tell me that they won't do anything for me, I'll just tell them that I guess I have to wait for my contract to end to switch to AT&T or something for better customer service, which is actually HILARIOUS since it's right next door to the Verizon store, and I'll just tell them "Yeah, I gotta go next door now" and literally walk into the AT&T store. I'm not playing nice with Verizon anymore.
    Why do you keep trying to root? Root will not help you in your current circumstances! Follow the directions posted above and you will have a working phone again.
    bweN diorD likes this.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Casio G'z One Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyg562000 View Post
    Why do you keep trying to root? Root will not help you in your current circumstances! Follow the directions posted above and you will have a working phone again.
    I just did. Let me try to put this in simpler terms, there is nothing that will fix this phone. HoB did not work. When it got to the wiping 'data' and wiping 'cache' portions, it took 0.216 seconds each. I still have all of my apps and everything on there. Factory reset DOES NOT WORK, which people seem don't seem to understand. HoB almost bricked it at first, then trying it a second time was successful in reflashing, but the error was still there.

Secondly, every time it reboots, settings go back to the way they were before.
    o) Enable USB debugging
    o) Set USB to Charge Only (Gingerbread) or MTP (ICS)

And not mentioned in HoB's online guide, "Boot into AP Fastoot.", which requires rebooting the device. Do you see the issue there. Unless there is a way to root/flash/repair the device without turning the device off, there is no way to repair it.
    My Phones:
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic XT875
    Have you tried using rsdlite and the fxz file? That completely wipes everything but ext SD card. Formats all the partitions to stock.
    Current Device: Droid Bionic on .246
    Old Device: OG Droid
    Trust in the Samuri
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links