DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: What's up with Webtop on ICS?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Driod Bionic

What's up with Webtop on ICS?

I just noticed webtop is significantly smaller on ICS... Used to be like 600MB on /osh now its at /system/vendor/ and only like 130MB.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by toy4x4
    I just noticed webtop is significantly smaller on ICS... Used to be like 600MB on /osh now its at /system/vendor/ and only like 130MB.
    Because now it just makes your home screen stretch to fit your Webtop device screen. It no longer looks or behaves like a pc the way it used to.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekWeber

Because now it just makes your home screen stretch to fit your Webtop device screen. It no longer looks or behaves like a pc the way it used to.
    What do you mean by that webtop has always worked the same for me what do you mean it doeant work like a pc...
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Nexus 7 (2012)
    you cannot have multiple windows on 3.0. 2.0 had a much more ubuntu like experience. I'm personally waiting on the 2.0 to be ported to the Droid Razr with Android 4.0.4
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Any news from anyone about webtop on Jellybean for Bionic when it updates?

Here's what Moto chat wrote me today:

"Motorola’s Webtop app helps users extend their smartphone experience to larger screens. While consumers around the world have adopted Webtop and the concept spurred a lot of innovation in the industry, the adoption has not been strong enough to justify continued resources being allocated to developing Webtop on future devices. We have also seen development of the Android operating system focus on the inclusion of more desktop-like features. We will no longer be including Webtop on the Droid Bionic when the Jelly Bean update arrives."

This seems clear that Webtop will be excluded from the JB Bionic update. If so I need to figure out how to kill the updater.

the Razr forum seems to have conflicting info whether 3.0 was kept in the JB update for that phone. There is a difference between simple screen mirroring (which any phone can do) and full Webtop 3.0.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwpdx View Post
    Any news from anyone about webtop on Jellybean for Bionic when it updates?

Here's what Moto chat wrote me today:

"Motorola’s Webtop app helps users extend their smartphone experience to larger screens. While consumers around the world have adopted Webtop and the concept spurred a lot of innovation in the industry, the adoption has not been strong enough to justify continued resources being allocated to developing Webtop on future devices. We have also seen development of the Android operating system focus on the inclusion of more desktop-like features. We will no longer be including Webtop on the Droid Bionic when the Jelly Bean update arrives."

This seems clear that Webtop will be excluded from the JB Bionic update. If so I need to figure out how to kill the updater.

the Razr forum seems to have conflicting info whether 3.0 was kept in the JB update for that phone. There is a difference between simple screen mirroring (which any phone can do) and full Webtop 3.0.
    It's my understanding that the JB update will not include webtop but will not remove it either. Apparently there is a separate partition for webtop and it will simply be left alone during the update. This means whatever you have now with ICS is what you will have with JB.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Nexus 7 (2012)
    a co-worker has JB and I checked in the system settings, no sign of webtop. He didnt plug into a dock or lapdock so I cannot confirm that part for sure.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    GNEX - Droid Bionic - Droid 4
    Jb has not been released for bionic I was told in email from Motorola that existing phones that have Web top 3.0 will keep 3.0 they are not removing it but not doing anymore development on it either. I asked them in email because I had just bought lapdock and didn't want to take update in future if it wasn't gonna work but they assured me it will work as is on ics
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Atrix w/ Ubuntop
    Webtop 3.0 is nothing more than a ppi/resolution switch and launcher. You can effectively duplicate by doing just that. Install a desktop look launcher and mirroring resolution switcher. Even if they don't include it you are not really losing much.

Links