How should I expect the conversation to go....I mean, generally speaking........I call up and they immediately send me a replacement (of course, that part all depends on my situation with Best Buy and all, and I know I will have to sort that out, but...), or will I need to argue with them, or will they make me go through some 'troubleshooting' BS first, or what?
wow, man. Thanks again for snapping me out of it. Holy crap.
I finally called them this weekend, and here's the story...
* When I first told them the deal, they said I'm past warranty and they can't do anything
* I told them that I got screwed because they promised that the ICS update would fix all the bugs. So, I waited, and that's why I'm now past warranty replacement time
* With that, they agreed to send out a replacement.
* The replacement they said they'd send was a Razr (regular), which I knew would be better than the freakin Bionic, but I wanted to check in to see what the deal would be at Best Buy where I actually bought mine.
* At Best Buy, I got in touch with how much 'credit' I have now from their 'buy back' program that I'm paying for and an estimate of where it would be in June when my time is up for an upgrade.
* As it turns out, if I were to wait till June, the buy-back credit will probably be enough to pay for whatever upgrade I want, whereas, if I were to take the replacement Razr from Verizon now, I would lose out on the buy back thing, because it goes with the specific phone that I bought from Best Buy.
* Then, I found out that, since my current Bionic (which has already been replaced like twice for other glitchy issues) Best Buy would do another replacement.
* I'm now holding off on the replacement Razr from Verizon......if the replacement Bionic does in fact fix things enough so that I can live with it till next June, I would rather be able to take advantage of the fact that I've been paying for the buy back thing this whole time, and get a much better phone then.
* If the replacement Bionic (comes this Tuesday or Wednesday) doesn't fix most of the issues, I will just forefit the buy back and take the replacement Razr from Verizon.
Sorry for continuing to peg this thread, but I just had to share with someone.
Since I had to turn in my broken Bionic to Best Buy so they could send it in, they gave me another phone as a loaner. Holy crap! It's a very low end Android.....Samsung Galaxy S......but OMG! So, this is what it's like to have an Android phone? Even this lowly little tweak is leaps and bounds beyond anythign I ever experienced on my Bionic. Man, talk about feeling violated.....I've put up with that POS for over a year. :angry:
Well, thanks again for the does of reality, bud. One way or another (even if I have to hold this Galaxy S hostage :lol: ) I think I'm finally on the right track.
Make a trail and document everything. When u get the replacement bionic if there is any issues at all, call them right away. I got the Maxx because I bought the extended battery and said I should get something comparable. They will give you a Maxx if you press them. (Not the new HD, but the even the plain Maxx is incredible with two days battery life.) The key is documenting a trail. If they have to replace this bionic then you should demand a maxx. However even a razr is a giant step above the bionic.
Originally Posted by BIrONIC
Do you have 2-step verification turned on on your Google Account?
I noticed that 2-step can cause it to get stuck like that. My wife's did that and I turned of 2-step and signed her in and it worked fine. Mine also lagged but instead of turning off 2-step I skipped signing in until after setup then added the account manually and it worked, but for some reason didn't download any of the apps and stuff I had before the reset.
Ya, I think I might have seen your post about that elsewhere, and checked on it, but I didn't have 2-step turned on. So, it was something else.
Originally Posted by Scribble
After that, my experience was pretty much like yours.
Now, I have a replacement on the way. Hopefully it will be unbroken-enough to last me till next June...