DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 113 of 653 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213613 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 6521
Like Tree455Likes

Thread: Wireless Moot

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodmot View Post
    xDDDDD I think this topic has seen it all. Origins of usernames, discussion about going to bed, the histories of processors, fake ICS builds, REAL ICS builds, Cookie Monster, Homer Simpson drooling, bacon fun facts, discussions about girls with nice racks...

What more could you ask for!
    New information about the OTA ... anyone hear anything from the great blue yonder?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by kemeki View Post
    New information about the OTA ... anyone hear anything from the great blue yonder?
    Way too early in the day.

Devices: Droid Bionic,OG RAZR,RAZR M, Galaxy S4
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    DEV X
    Yeah, us Westies just getting up, Although I've been up for about 3 hours.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Moto X DEV / N5 / Moto G / Galaxy S4 Dev / Galaxy S4 / Razr HD Dev / HTC One MAX / HTC EVO on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Bionic / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Iconia Win 8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7 / Asus TF300 / Galaxy Tab 2 / Iconia Tab A500
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
    For what I do, your AMD won't cut it. My 3770k may cost a lot more, but, it definitely gives me bang for the buck. I can convert a full blu-ray to Xoom quality in under 7 minutes. Your AMD will take 20+ minimum. Seems like not a big deal, I'm sure, until you realize I have over 6 TB of video to contend with.
    Really ... Take a look at screen shot below. Almost all of these are Blu-Rays and this is only one of my folders on my server. Notice the folders in the "Favorites" on the left more than one movies folder and a TV Shows that is all in 1080p as well. I can convert a Blu-Ray to .mkv, and don't tell me .mkv files are lower quality than Xoom, well under 20 mins. I'm not saying AMD is better performance than INTEL so no one come shouting back that I'm wrong that AMD will outperform INTEL. I am just saying that I think people are underestimating AMDs performance.
    Wireless Moot-movies2.png
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrod View Post
    Way too early in the day.
    I was just saying that this topic hadn't seen much new info about the OTA - not meaning already this morning
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    Droid BIONIC
    Excited! MOOT MOOT MOOT MOOT! Hopefully a certain Sargent will inform us. I want info screamed Full Metal Jacket style
    Droid BIONIC
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    deadudea
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Hey all. I've seriously been lurking on these forums for a couple weeks waiting for updates so I figured I'd join and let you guys know how awesome you are. All your knowledge is appreciated. Though registering in the middle of class was a bit awkward with the video Captcha....
    Anyways i'm not rooted.. On the latest stock upgrade, .905 I guess. Just waiting....
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Bionic ICS
    Here's the three examples I use for my issues with performance of AMD/ATI:

In 2000 I was moving across country. I had an Intel 266Mhz at the time. I pulled out my video card and RAM and took it to my mom's house. My plan was to build her a new computer and use my RAM and video card temporarily so I could play everquest. I ended up buying an AMD 450Mhz CPU. I installed Windows and EQ. But.. the game was choppy and unplayable. Note that I was using the exact same physical RAM and video card, but despite AMD's clear advantage of almost 40% it STILL couldn't cut it.

In 2003 I built a Windows Server 2003 machine. At the time nvidia said no drivers would ever be released for server 2003. So I went to the store and bought an ATI video card. I spent $250 on the card. I only intended to play games that were at least 2 years old so I knew I'd still be fine for performance. I got home, installed my video card, and started installing games. Every single game I tried to play was not compatible with my video card without some custom patch from the game manufacturer. I had 5 games and had to install 5 patches manually to get each to work. Halflife didn't work for squat even after the patch. The menus were unreadable and I couldn't even play the game. A few phone calls and.. sure enough, if you happened to have my video card you were screwed. The video card had some hardware issues that ATI didn't fix.

In 2006 I bought an AMD laptop. They were significantly cheaper than the Intel based laptops. All I wanted to do was be able to take some 720p videos with me and play them during my travels. The laptop could perform fine, until it was unplugged. The second it was unplugged the CPU artificially lowered it CPU speed by 2 or 3 multipliers and movies wouldn't play. I took it back to the store and they couldn't fix it. I called the manufacturer, and they told me it was "by design" this way to prolong battery life. I went looking all over for power management settings so I could set them to maximum performance, but it didn't matter. I went into the AMD forums and everyone complained about the same thing. I asked friends that were avid AMD users and they couldn't help me. Ultimately I ended up returning the laptop and had to eat $150 restocking fee.

So while AMDs may have a purpose for many people, they seem to fail, horribly, every time I try to use them.

Let's not talk about instability issues I've had that were later determined to be problems.. IF you had an AMD CPU. I have a screenshot from years ago in EQ where it had a message at the login screen that if you owned an AMD CPU you couldn't play and that a patch was forthcoming. I LOVE rubbing that in my friend's face that swear by AMD just because I can :P.

So while friends swear by AMD and/or ATI, I've yet to ever be happy with the performance of an AMD or ATI product. I've lost so much money over the years it's cheaper to "cut my losses" and buy Intel despite the higher price.
    Last edited by josh1980; 09-27-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Expected ICS late Q3 or Q4(2012). I called it back in February 2012!

Now Expecting JB late Q2 2013. I called it back in October 2012!

9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    In 2003 I built a Windows Server 2003 machine. At the time nvidia said no drivers would ever be released for server 2003. So I went to the store and bought an ATI video card. I spent $250 on the card. I only intended to play games that were at least 2 years old so I knew I'd still be fine for performance.
    Just a question you built a Server 2003 for gaming? And you are correct in '03 ATI was on the low end of support for gaming and they were not built by AMD at that time either. I am not a fan of ATI because I do a lot of CUDA programming, but I also have nothing bad to say about them in the last couple years either I think they have come a long ways.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Bionic ICS
    Quote Originally Posted by herrbifi View Post
    Just a question you built a Server 2003 for gaming? And you are correct in '03 ATI was on the low end of support for gaming and they were not built by AMD at that time either. I am not a fan of ATI because I do a lot of CUDA programming, but I also have nothing bad to say about them in the last couple years either I think they have come a long ways.
    I do realize it's odd that I built a server 2003 machine for gaming. At the time it was to kill 2 birds with one stone. The CompUSA store by me had a dedicated ATI salesperson that was there Wednesday through Sunday during peak business hours. He said that this would be fine. I never trusted him again :P
    Expected ICS late Q3 or Q4(2012). I called it back in February 2012!

Now Expecting JB late Q2 2013. I called it back in October 2012!

Links