DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bionic update on Punit Soni's Radar.

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic
    Frankly this is one area where Punit can really make a difference.

One thing that helps Apple a lot is the fact when you buy the latest iPhone, that you know with a certain level of certainty that your device will be supported for a period of time. That when IOS(blah) comes out, that your phone will get it if (date of phone release) <= (date of IOS release) - (18-24 months). Apple has done a great job of setting up a positive ownership expectation.

Android has been fragmented. Badly so. On the plus side, it moves faster and it supports new technology much faster than Apple usually can. On the downside - yeah, many of us had the tacit understanding our Bionics would be getting ICS soon after release.. and then.. nothing. The fragmentation is caused by exacerbating circumstances - first the manufacturer not being aggressive and that compounded by the carrier often being a "blocker".

If the drama we heard on that removed thread is true, I feel that that + the "jellybean" $100 guarantee means that we're seeing Google make efforts to change the footing on which Android stands.

In other words to handle phones in a similar way Apple does, Android first needs to redefine the relationship between carrier and device manufacturer. Once the carrier is removed as an impediment we can then start to see what we as owners had expected.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Bionic ICS
    Quote Originally Posted by SnydersWeb View Post
    Frankly this is one area where Punit can really make a difference.

One thing that helps Apple a lot is the fact when you buy the latest iPhone, that you know with a certain level of certainty that your device will be supported for a period of time. That when IOS(blah) comes out, that your phone will get it if (date of phone release) <= (date of IOS release) - (18-24 months). Apple has done a great job of setting up a positive ownership expectation.

Android has been fragmented. Badly so. On the plus side, it moves faster and it supports new technology much faster than Apple usually can. On the downside - yeah, many of us had the tacit understanding our Bionics would be getting ICS soon after release.. and then.. nothing. The fragmentation is caused by exacerbating circumstances - first the manufacturer not being aggressive and that compounded by the carrier often being a "blocker".

If the drama we heard on that removed thread is true, I feel that that + the "jellybean" $100 guarantee means that we're seeing Google make efforts to change the footing on which Android stands.

In other words to handle phones in a similar way Apple does, Android first needs to redefine the relationship between carrier and device manufacturer. Once the carrier is removed as an impediment we can then start to see what we as owners had expected.
    I just read an article yesterday that IOS 6 adoption is at 25% while JB is 2 months old and has an amazing 1.2%. I do think this is comparing apples to oranges, but it does show a main difference between iThings and androids.

I truly think this is why Google bought Motorola. It's not a secret that the Android market is fragmented like crazy. It's one of the biggest pitfalls for Android. Google now owns a major share of the top of the line phones. If Google starts keeping phones up to date and providing good update schedules for phones, other companies will have no choice but to start doing the same. This seems very evident from the comments from Punit as well as the info from the deceased 244 thread that Google is trying to turn the ship around.

The real question is how long will it take to change things. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat expecting the phones released before this summer to likely be kicked to the curb and not supported very well. But the next generation of phones may have amazing support IF my hypothesis of Google/Motorola is true.

In any case, it's a known fact that Android's fragmentation may be its downfall in the future and something needs to be done before its too late.
    Expected ICS late Q3 or Q4(2012). I called it back in February 2012!

Now Expecting JB late Q2 2013. I called it back in October 2012!

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Bionic ICS
    .... what is this about the JB + $100 promise? I keep seeing "$100" thrown around. Did someone make a promise and use that number or is that made up by someone as a hypothetical situation?

4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    .... what is this about the JB + $100 promise? I keep seeing "$100" thrown around. Did someone make a promise and use that number or is that made up by someone as a hypothetical situation?
    Direct from the horse's mouth:

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...n-rebate_en-US
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Motorola to Offer $100 Credit to Owners of Devices Not Eligible for Jelly Bean Update (Update) – Droid Life
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Bionic ICS
    Interesting. Of course it will be interesting to see what the final terms and conditions will be for this "program". I guess I can see why the Atrix users are up in arms. They're at the bleeding edge of this guarantee, so they're trying to force the issue. I'll admit, between $100 back and an upgrade to ICS I'd take the upgrade. It's much cheaper. A close friend bought the X2, and he's upset he's not getting ICS. Since the X2 came out May 2011 I guess he'll be covered by this program too... supposedly.

7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic
    I just read an article yesterday that IOS 6 adoption is at 25% while JB is 2 months old and has an amazing 1.2%. I do think this is comparing apples to oranges, but it does show a main difference between iThings and androids.

I truly think this is why Google bought Motorola. It's not a secret that the Android market is fragmented like crazy. It's one of the biggest pitfalls for Android. Google now owns a major share of the top of the line phones. If Google starts keeping phones up to date and providing good update schedules for phones, other companies will have no choice but to start doing the same. This seems very evident from the comments from Punit as well as the info from the deceased 244 thread that Google is trying to turn the ship around.

The real question is how long will it take to change things. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat expecting the phones released before this summer to likely be kicked to the curb and not supported very well. But the next generation of phones may have amazing support IF my hypothesis of Google/Motorola is true.

In any case, it's a known fact that Android's fragmentation may be its downfall in the future and something needs to be done before its too late.
    For Android to have a vibrant future, the carriers have to have a much more diminished role than what they have. These things are gradual - and right now the battle is as uphill as it's going to get. If the relationship between Google + manufacturer can twist the carriers arm successfully then they can in turn use that against the other US carriers as well. We shall see.

The other half of is likely easier - where Google can put certain criteria on the manufacturers. That they can say if you're going to do an Android phone, then you have to also agree to update it. They already do some of this anyway (recently they made a manufacturer kill a device - forget which one).

It's just my opinion that Google bought Moto first for the patents, but in the end Google also now seems set on transforming Motorola into a "blueprint" of how an Android phone manufacturer needs to be - and good for them for doing this.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    The link I posted above PROVES this statement, though. Droid-Life is not always a trustworthy source. I could email them that Android 10.0 Xylitol was just released, and they'd publish it *LMAO*
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    The link I posted above PROVES this statement, though. Droid-Life is not always a trustworthy source. I could email them that Android 10.0 Xylitol was just released, and they'd publish it *LMAO*
    lol true, just the first place i remember seeing it where i could grab a link... but you still beat me too it haha
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Interesting. Of course it will be interesting to see what the final terms and conditions will be for this "program". I guess I can see why the Atrix users are up in arms. They're at the bleeding edge of this guarantee, so they're trying to force the issue. I'll admit, between $100 back and an upgrade to ICS I'd take the upgrade. It's much cheaper. A close friend bought the X2, and he's upset he's not getting ICS. Since the X2 came out May 2011 I guess he'll be covered by this program too... supposedly.
    It's gonna be simple. If your device was made in 2011 and doesn't get JB, they will give you a $100 off one of the new RAZR devices. Of course, since alot of people will be left with a bad taste of Moto anyways, this will not mean a whole lot. And with most of us paying full retail to keep unlimited data, $100 off is not much at all.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Links