DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Things "missing" in ICS for Bionic

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Things "missing" in ICS for Bionic

Since I'm new to ICS running on my Bionic, thought I'd share a few things I miss from GB.

- No shortcut for Voice Commands. Found an app for it though. I need it for my car dock home screen.

- No shortcut for video camera, only still camera. Nice to go straight to the video function instead of having to move the slider, like when in the car dock.

- Flash. Yeah there is Flash but performance is crap and will not play embedded video in web pages.

- Google Car Home. Very simple but effective home screen for the car dock. The new built in one looks much nicer but is much more clumsy to use.

- Going to Contacts from within Dialer app. Can't do it anymore... personal preference I suppose.

- Alarms full screen display; clock is much smaller and harder for my glasses-less eyes to see in bed. Nitpicking, I know. Yes I realize there are a million alarm clock apps.

- Have not looked yet, but is there an HDMI-out hack in ICS like GB that allows any on screen video to output via HDMI?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    BIONIC
    Quote Originally Posted by puckalicious
    Since I'm new to ICS running on my Bionic, thought I'd share a few things I miss from GB.

- No shortcut for Voice Commands. Found an app for it though. I need it for my car dock home screen.

- No shortcut for video camera, only still camera. Nice to go straight to the video function instead of having to move the slider, like when in the car dock.

- Flash. Yeah there is Flash but performance is crap and will not play embedded video in web pages.

- Google Car Home. Very simple but effective home screen for the car dock. The new built in one looks much nicer but is much more clumsy to use.

- Going to Contacts from within Dialer app. Can't do it anymore... personal preference I suppose.

- Alarms full screen display; clock is much smaller and harder for my glasses-less eyes to see in bed. Nitpicking, I know. Yes I realize there are a million alarm clock apps.

- Have not looked yet, but is there an HDMI-out hack in ICS like GB that allows any on screen video to output via HDMI?
    I definitely miss flash and the ability to access my contacts from the dialer. Sucks, but oh well.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Few ways around this:

1.) menu > system settings > accessibility > double tap home launch. Voice Commands is for Nuance and voice search is stock android
    2.) Long press on the search key
    3.) If you have the Bionic card dock then voice search is on the car dock homescreen

While in the dialer press the search key

You could try webtop mode (you don't need a dock anymore) and see if it will. I haven't had any problems with video output myself.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Thanks for the tip for the Dialer to show contacts.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Another thing you can do is, if you know who you want to call you can start T9 typing their name into the dialer. So, if I wanted to call John I would start dialing 5646 (John), and the dialer will bring his contact up as a suggested caller. You can also do this for phone numbers as well. From there you can call the number they suggested, and if you have more than one number for the contact just press the contact photo for more suggestions.

I think Gingerbread had this feature, so it isn't new. But since contacts aren't part of the dialer anymore I've been using the above method to call contacts.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, DX2, Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by puckalicious View Post

Video taping a lot while your driving ? I'm thinking they may have not put that in there for a reason ?
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The thing that bugs me is that you can't link ringer and notification volume on stock ICS. I find that to be the biggest inconvenience out of anything. Luckily there is AOKP for that though.
    From the OG Droid to a Droid Bionic to Galaxy S3 and back to a Moto X.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtra Big Kahuna View Post
    The thing that bugs me is that you can't link ringer and notification volume on stock ICS. I find that to be the biggest inconvenience out of anything. Luckily there is AOKP for that though.
    I can't stand that. Why on Earth would they NOT link the two? I seriously have to go way into the settings menu to tweak the volume of my ringer/notifications separately?
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    car mode is there for sure, I use Tasker to enable it. I dont really have a car dock, does it not automatically come up anymore? I also still have flash on .232, but I guess you mean they just wont update it right?
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by puckalicious View Post
    Try the 'People' shortcut instead. That takes you straight to your contacts, then here is an icon on the bottom to get you to the dialer.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links