I tried to replicate the problem too. Worked fine.
My guess it's that it's some sort of conflict with Juice Defender. Whether it's "disabled" or not, it's still installed, and could be hooking some important intents or something.
Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.
Maybe try changing your Data Usage Cycle dates to something like 2 days ago until the same day next month. I suspect it might have something to do with the amount of data that you've used. Even though you have an unlimited data account, they still do throttling, and there may be something written into the SA program code that assumes you've got a limited account.
Skidoo, you were right! I uninstalled Juice Defender and SA its working add advertised. Now to choose which one to use...Originally Posted by skidoo
Edit: i was pre-mature in my declaration of victory. I tried it when I was plugged in. One of the triggers is being unplugged. So, with Juice Defender uninstalled, SA still kills data for me on 235.
Last edited by Mike.757; 07-31-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Together is where I want to be...