Successful 6.7.232 installation
First I want to say...
Ta-da! And don't let the timestamps on these posts fool you into thinking this was some onerous process. The complete upgrade from 905 to 232 took about...I dunno...15 minutes? All I did was
My question regarding whether I'd have to slog through re-installing and reconfiguring apps has been answered. And that answer is no. Most importantly, my daughter's Temple Run high score, stats, and power-ups were preserved :-) :
- Copy the update file to my SD card.
- Rename it (probably unnecessarily) to [update.zip].
- Boot into recovery mode (hold down both volume keys while powering up).
- Follow the (simple) menu instructions to select the update, clear the cache (not the data!), and begin the process.
- Reboot (it's a menu item).
- Let it sit for a while (maybe 5 minutes) and "find itself."
- Upgrade a few apps.
- Et voila!
Beautiful Widgets didn't skip a beat, as is evidenced by the first image and this one:
On a more serious note, from a productivity standpoint, the most mission critical app I could think of is PrinterShare, which still works just fine, having retained all its preferences and whatnot:
My favorite podcatcher, Pocket Casts, not only kept its configuration info, but demonstrated (in conjunction with Rdio) that audio playback seems to be working fine:
Other things of note:
For those like me (half-nerds?), I say go for it. You won't regret it. Assuming we can upgrade to the final release with no problems. And, after reading about previous experiences and having a look at Samuri's script and whatnot, the evidence suggests that this is a more than reasonable assumption.
- FolderOrganizer's settings seem to have been preserved fine, in particular the notification bar settings.
- The camera focuses faster, seems to have some sort of new anti-shake detector thingy, and picture quality seems at least as good as it was (which was great, for me).
- Video recording and playback seems fine; I can play videos recorded with 905 just fine.
- I haven't checked yet to see if the CPU has been "overclocked" to 1.2, but everything seems much faster. Media reading tasks are noticeably faster; games don't have barely-perceptible hitches where they used to.
- Oh, very important: Google Voice seems to be working perfectly fine. No re-configuration necessary at all.
- Also very important: WiFi seems to work perfectly fine, and voice and 4G seem to be more sensitive (the device seems to get better reception).
- Just tested voice quality, and it seems to be better, if there's been any change at all.
- Granted, I've just gone from 905 to 232, not from 232 to some future build. But for someone who is by disposition gun-shy when it comes to installing these "leaks" and whatnot, for someone who really doesn't like to take the time to nerd-out over something as utilitarian as his phone (not these days anyway), this process was truly painless, and the features in the new OS really do make it feel like a brand new device.
Hope this helps!