DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ICS Leak Question

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieZee View Post
    I've been reading a few of the ics leak threads and I'm starting to rethink my position on waiting for the official release. However, as was the case back with the 902 update, I'm concerned about staying on the OTA path. Luckily, in my case I was able to load a leaked 902 build and still received the official 905 OTA.

Does anyone know if this might still be the case.

I'm not rooted and not quite ready to take that plunge yet.
    Technically it will take you off the OTA path. However, SamuriHL has developed a very clever script that allows you to flash back to .902 and install newer updates (see this thread for instructions). I've used it twice so far, to go from the .2233 leak to the .230 leak, and then to the .232 leak, and it worked flawlessly both times. In theory, when the official OTA is released, after someone posts the update file we should be able to flash it using the same method without data loss. There are no guarantees of course, but I'm enjoying ICS and Webtop 3.0 so much that for me, it's definitely worth the risk of having to FXZ back to .902 and lose data (worst case scenario). I'm also rooted and have all my apps/data backed up with Titanium Backup, so even in that scenario I should be able to restore them. Highly recommended.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    So I'm confused. Even if we're on 905 OTA, we would have to FXZ back to 902?

Or is that only if we end up off the OTA path and want to get back on it after the official release?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    So I'm confused. Even if we're on 905 OTA, we would have to FXZ back to 902?

Or is that only if we end up off the OTA path and want to get back on it after the official release?

Version .905 is an official release so naturally it's on the OTA path. You asked if installing one of the ICS leaks would take you off the OTA path, and the answer I was trying to convey above is yes, installing an ICS leak will take you off the path, but there is a way to get back on it without losing data (SamuriHL's script). Failing that, you can always FXZ back to .902 and get back on the path that way, but you will lose data (although there may be a way around that as well, by modifying a certain XML file).

The reason we have to flash back to .902 in these cases is because there is no .905 FXZ file as of yet.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Ahh.. Okay thank you.

5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Phone
    MOTO DROID
    Does anyone have any threads or info on what I need to root on ICS, razrs edge or whatever but that's all I know. Thanks.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    og droid, droid bionic, xoom
    use razor_edge here is the link http://t.co/mbIAmwH8 for download. download it unzip it plug your phone in and make sure usb debugging is enabled and run the runme file
    Some days you're the dog and some days you are the hydrant.

What ever my advice is, you follow it at your own risk.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Just flash it. It's easy a
    and you won't regret it

8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I'm familiar with these steps from when I installed the 902 leak, so I'm not opposed to doing it myself. I'm more worried about being thrown off the OTA path.

Of course, if we're really that close, I'm sure I can hold off. But reading some of these threads has me chomping at the bit

As long as you have a copy of RSD Lite, a copy of the .902 FXZ file, and the proper Motorola Fastboot drivers; you are fine and will be able to get back on the update path in 45 minutes or so without having to resort to any oddball tricks or hacks. The .902 FXZ file is able to restore the Bionic to stock Gingerbread.

So go ahead and flash the leak. I have personally verified that so far, all of the leaks including 6.7.232 are reversible. The horror stories that you hear concerning the RAZR and Droid 4 leaks don't apply here.

EDIT: Technically, we don't know whether .232 will become official or not, so if you are running it there's no way to tell if you are off the upgrade path or not. I can simply say it's easier to get back on said path if need be.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    You can easily fxz back to 902 and that would put you back on the ota path. Every ics leak has been smooth like buttah for me, I would recommend it.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Phone
    MOTO DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by dfib
    use razor_edge here is the link http://t.co/mbIAmwH8 for download. download it unzip it plug your phone in and make sure usb debugging is enabled and run the runme file
    Thank you
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links